06-12-2013, 07:42 PM
User Info
My name is Ryan and I'm a gadget addict. A guy at church told me about wet shaving and I told him I don't shave due to sensitive skin and he said, "Perfect. Research it and you'll be into it." I did and then, I bought some stuff...

I actually had my very first wet shave last night. I stopped shaving years ago due to irritation. I tried all the cartridges, then Norelco, then Braun, and finally just stuck with trimming the stubble every few days (I've been a teacher and am self-employed now so I can do what I want Biggrin ). However, it'd be nice to be clean-shaven every once in a while.

So, not quite sure where to ask this but...I have irritation right in the crick of my neck (above the Adam's Apple, toward my lymph nodes). I've always gotten it there. I'll explain my process (which I thought was good): shower (long), wash face with Dr. Bonner, lather up some TOBS Sensitive and put it on face, place hot towel on face for about 2 minutes, rinse with cool water, then apply lather, one pass WTG, cool water rinse, apply lather, one pass XTG, cool water rinse, Razorock alum stick, rinse after a minute, Thayer Witch Hazel w/aloe but no alcohol. Then some moisturizer due to dry skin. I could feel last night the area was a little sensitive but no visible irritation. Today, after showering again, though I was very careful when touching the area, got some red bumps and irritation there. Advice?

Thank you for reading! This forum is crazy addictive.

0 7
 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM
User Info
First allow me to say that it's great to have you in the Nook!

As for the irritation let me ask if you think it is coming from a certain pass, like the ATG pass? How many total passes are you doing on that area? Some folks can never go ATG without irritation while others do a pass less in trouble spots.

Another potential culprit could be the heat. Have you tried a Cold Water Shave (CWS)? Look it up here as there is an epic thread on it. As your irritation seems to be isolated this may not be the best solution for you.

Please keep us updated on what works for you.

31 7,892
 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM
User Info
I did not do ATG, just WTG and XTG. I don't know that I'd venture a guess as to which pass it was or if it was just shaving in general. I forgot to mention: I have an Edwin Jagger DE89 and used an Astra Superior Platinum blade.

I have considered the CWS but thought I'd do at least one warm shave to see if I needed to try it. I will say the irritation is always below the jaw line - the cheeks and sideburns have never really been an issue. I could try a warm shave again and then try CWS or go straight to it, I just wanted to give everything a fair shake.

I'm not a hairy guy by any means - I was blessed with the Nordic genes of my mother but at the same time, my Dad is hairy (Russian Jewish decent). Not sure if any of that makes a difference.

0 7
 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Greetings Ryan and welcome to the Nook, we are all addicts here!

As for irritation, the secret to freeing yourself lies in preparation and technique, but the right tools help too!

I'd start be eliminating the cool water rinses, as you are technically doing a CWS by adding these. Save the cool or cold water until after the shave. The cool water helps close the pores and sooth the skin. I splash with cold at the end, prior to applying my favourite AS of course.

The long hot shower should be adequate prep alone (it's all I do and I have sensitive skin, a coarse beard and omni directional growth), but you could add a pre shave product (Myrsol Emulsion for example) after your shower.

Next you must consider the quality of your lather. You have good product with the TOBS, but what is your lather like. The idea is for cushion and glide. I find a slicker lather (more water) often provides a more comfortable shave. So ensure your lather is sufficiently hydrated.

Face map! Study your growth in the mirror. Ensure that what you think is WTG is actually that. You will probably find your hair grows in different directions in your problem area (mine does).

No pressure, let the weight of the razor do the work.

Correct angle. Experiment on your non problem area with razor angle to make sure you have it right. You don't want tugging and you do want audible feedback from your cutting edge.

Try only one pass or two WTG passes. Multiple passes increases the risk or likelihood of irritation.

Taught or stretched skin can assist too (but I find it's more important with a straight than a DE).

Experiment with different blades, some perform better than others and better with different razors and different faces. My favourite blade is the Polsilver or Super Iridium (and their various incarnations).

Patience, it's a skill and takes a little time to master.

Keep questioning, there is a wealth of knowledge here, use it, it's free!

Enjoy, for many what was once a chore has now become a daily ritual of self indulgence worth waking for.

Finally, hide the credit card statement. It's been my experience that SWMBO is not going to love this new addiction...

Just some quick tips, but everyone's experience is different, so others will point you in different directions, but you will soon find what works best for you.

91 17,620
 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Welcome to the Nook! I can't add much more than already stated. You will continue to get better every shave. Enjoy!

45 3,955
 06-13-2013, 01:10 AM
User Info
Hello Ryan, welcome to: " The Shave Nook " Relax & Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,326
 06-13-2013, 03:30 AM
User Info
Welcome Ryan to The Shave Nook.

98 12,364
 06-13-2013, 03:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Not sure I could add anything to what Ben has already said. All good advise.

173 23,296
 06-13-2013, 05:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Ryan! Smile Enjoy!

Everything Ben said is true ... especially credit card statements!

102 17,576
 06-13-2013, 05:28 AM
User Info
Welcome Ryan! With experience the irritation should minimize, especially when you really get the hang of the blade angle and using no pressure.

10 2,062
 06-13-2013, 05:33 AM
User Info
check out this thread as I'm someone who has extremely sensitive skin, a coarse beard and very weird growth on my neck: http://shavenook.com/thread-cannot-seem-...life-of-me

40 5,830
 06-13-2013, 08:04 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Greetings and welcome to the Nook.

1 3,507
 06-13-2013, 08:14 AM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

0 124
 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM
User Info
It's alright...welcome to the Nook. I agree with Ben, the first thing to try is ditching the cool water until you're finished shaving.

15 762
 06-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Welcome to The Nook!

35 2,703
 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM
User Info
Thank you all! Ben, I do have a face map (that I actually added areas too because below the jawline is far too omni-directional for just 7 areas haha). I'll pay more attention to those areas for sure. No more cool water rinse until the end. The blade angle is hard to tell sometimes below the jaw line. I'll have to go slower and see if I can see it better. I'll definitely practice with lather and making it slicker. I also have TOBS Avocado and Speick creams.

One thing I haven't mentioned - I have crazy stretchy skin. It's almost like I was supposed to be fat just to fill it all (but I've never weighed more than 175lbs and I'm 6'3"). My neck skin is some of the stretchiest. Would this make a difference?

What's the general consensus on Geo F. Trumper's Coral Skin Food? In his book, Leisureguy mentions it a lot.

Quote:check out this thread as I'm someone who has extremely sensitive skin, a coarse beard and very weird growth on my neck: http://shavenook.com/thread-cannot-seem-...life-of-me
This thread has lots of good info! Awesome! Thank you!

Thank you all so much! It's nice here. And...unfortunately, I have yet to meet my SWMBO (I even had to look it up), so my spending is only limited by my incoming. Hahhaaha Biggrin

0 7
 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM
User Info
Ryan, welcome to The Shave Nook!

74 20,807
 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Ryan

31 4,954
 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
User Info
Wanted to say: not sure how normal it is with others who get irritation, but my irritation persists for a few days (as in when I put on moisturizer today, after 2 days, I still have to put it on with the grain). Normal?

Here's a picture today, post-shower, pre-moisturizer. Still tender. Sad
[Image: zIlQ9Wc.jpg]

0 7
 06-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Hello, Ryan and welcome ! Smile

Sometimes, things that moisturize have ingredients that can cause a bit of inflammation
when they get into the follicle. and that is what a razor bump basically is. an inflammed follicle.
The Ph of your shaving prep and/or washing soap can cause that also by wrecking the acid mantle on the skin that normally keeps bacteria at bay.
A bit of disagreement between your skin's own Ph and a harsh alkali soap is why some people experience what they describe as a "soap burn".
Put some blade irritation and product-induced irritation together, and....I would get the same results in that spot that you are having.
You may have experienced that before if you ever bathed in soap that leaves your hide feeling "pickled".
The rest of your hide seems to be fareing okay. Change an element at a time, and you'll soon be fine tuning your way to a more comfortable shave and less post-shave irrittation.

0 1,291