06-14-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
I see one argument against Disposable Blade Straight Razors pop up over and over again: they don't have the weight of a true straight razor, but is that true? I honestly believe that many people simply parrot other folks' arguments without even checking the facts, and when it comes to razor weights I believe this doubly so. While it is true that some DBSRs are absolutely lighter than the average straight razor, this is not always the case.

Below are a list of weights for various razors. These weights are not a case of opinion, these are hard facts which absolutely dispute the "shavettes/DBSRs are too light" argument. Keep in mind that different scales will weigh the same object slightly differently (especially at different elevations), but these weights are as accurate as possible and have been taken using a recently calibrated scale. If anyone has a few other weight examples to add to the list, that would be great.

--Dovo Shavette (I have received this razor's weight from a few sources, but have not confirmed it, so take it with a grain of salt.) 20g
--Parker SRW 33g
--Robeson ShurEdge 4/8 half hollow 34g
--Parker SRB 35g
--Sterling Mfg. 5/8 half hollow 39g
--P.H. Hahn 5/8 full hollow 40g
--Union Cutlery 5/8 full hollow 40g
--Parker SR1 41g
--Sanguine X-D20 42g
--Gillette black handle Super Speed 45g
--Joseph Allen & Sons 5/8 quarter hollow 48g
--Monsieur Charles (I have received this razor's weight from a few sources, but have not confirmed it, so take it with a grain of salt.) 52g
--Sanguine CoolCut2t 55g
--James Rodgers & Co. 5/8 quarter hollow 60g
--Edwin Jagger DE86 70g

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 06-14-2013, 07:41 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I'd be curious of the weight of a Feather Dx line..

33 914
 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
According to some helpful folks over at The Shaving Room, the Feather DX is 53g (with a blade in it), and the AC (current ss model) is 44g. I haven't weighed them myself, but a few other sources cite similar weights.

6 327
 06-14-2013, 10:17 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I think what would be more interesting would be the weights of the scales and the weights of the blade holders seperately
I find my Feather SS to be a little light overall, but my bigger complaint is the scales don't balance out the blade, they're way light

10 411
 06-15-2013, 05:44 AM
User Info
I agree, the balance of the razor is far more important than the overall weight. I'm just trying to dispel the myth that DBSRs are much lighter than traditional straights. This incorrect idea is often used to dissuade folks from even trying a DBSR.

Measuring the weight of the scales and the blade separately would require unpinning the razor, which is not very practical, but it would be nice information to know.

6 327
 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
yeah, I didn't say it'd be practical lol, just interesting

I know there are people who rescale them for better balance. Maybe they could offer up some info if they see this thread

the Feather is the only DBSR that I've ever owned, while it does feel a little light, it's certainly capable of filling in when I fall behind on honing
I agree it's worth at least giving one a shot

10 411
 06-16-2013, 05:15 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
Another data point for weights. Feather Artist Club DX non-folding 46 grams without blade.

0 535