10-26-2019, 04:30 AM
User Info
I agree that the Chubby 2 is the best synthetic.  It does take some getting used to, due to its density and short loft.  It works better with paint strokes, instead of circular ones.  For me, no other synthetic feels as good on the face.

60 9,702
 10-26-2019, 05:04 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-26-2019, 04:30 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I agree that the Chubby 2 is the best synthetic.  It does take some getting used to, due to its density and short loft.  It works better with paint strokes, instead of circular ones.  For me, no other synthetic feels as good on the face.

Yes. As a matter of fact, Ricardo, it was on your recommendation a few years ago that I bought a Chubby 2 synthetic. It’s certainly a brush I could use every day if I had to, but am glad that’s not the case! The Chubby 2 is an outstanding synth. I’m tempted to try a Duke 3 synthetic for comparison - the different ratio may yield a much different face and kinesthetic feel, which would be interesting to note. The other synthetic knots I enjoy immensely are the reddish-brown “Mother Lode” knots that Bob Quinn occasionally stocks. I have two of those. Their face feel and overall kinesthetics are totally different, but equally enjoyable for me. They feel cloud-like soft, albeit with a relative step down in backbone. The Plisson, Omega and Thater synths haven’t been as enjoyable for me (no offense intended to the makers or to those shavers who like using them); perhaps one day I’ll try a Mühle synth. Or not. Badger is still tops in my book.

15 3,796
 10-26-2019, 09:46 AM
User Info
Had a chubby 2 synth and got rid of it.  Like my Stirling Kong much better.  I have many high-end badger brushes and could happily use only my Kong for the rest of my days.

1 519
 10-26-2019, 12:14 PM
User Info
(10-26-2019, 04:02 AM)Puma Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 05:36 PM)celestino Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 02:43 PM)Puma Wrote: I searched for Frank shaving and found this old thread. I just got a Frank brush with a G4 knot. I have had a really hard time finding a synthetic I like. So far the only one for me is a Blackwolf, and I'm not impressed with the G4. It reminds me of a Maggard that I've had for a few years as well as several other synths that I have owned. It's too soft, which is what I've said about the other synths I've tried. I think for guys that really like synths the G4 will probably impress. I will say this for the Frank brush that I have: the handle is polished like a Paladin and very nice.

If you are looking for good backbone, Simpsons' Chubby 2 synthetic is a great brush. However, I would be very surprised if you haven't tried it, already.  Shy

It is funny that you mention that. I haven't tried one, yet, but one is on the way.

Good luck.  Shy

91 21,284