06-15-2013, 07:31 AM
User Info
I'm not going to put up a full review yet since I only used it once, but here are my thoughts so far.

The appearance of the soft soap in the tub is very similar to my recent uses of Berbiere Di Figaro and the La Famiglia soap, so I'm going to take a stab and say this is another TFS.

Which going by the performance is a GREAT thing! It was very easy to create a thick, stable lather. There was plenty of cushion and protection, and my goodness the slickness felt off the charts. It barely felt like I had a blade loaded yet I got a near-BBS with no nicks or irritation.

The one downside was how faint the scent was. The fragrance out of the tub was very complex and fresh, quite pleasing. I'm really bad with scent descriptions, but in my experience it seemed kind of similar to Aqua di Gio. But according to Joe on another forum this isn't a copy of another scent, it is the scent.
But once lathered up it was pretty muted. I had used Proraso preshave and that scent almost overpowered the XX. Next time I'll try it without a preshave, since with this performance it probably isn't even needed.

Now this is going to sound corny, but this was one of the most comfortable and effective shaves I've ever had. Some of the credit goes to the Gillette New LC and the Krampert's Frostbite AS since they are both amazing in their own right. But the XX is definitely staying in my rotation.

10 2,062
 06-15-2013, 07:41 AM
User Info
Proraso preshave has a rather strong scent. I could see it overpowering a lot of things. I know that Joe has indicated in the past that he chose the less intense scents for the RazoRock line because they are less prone to causing irritation.

15 762
 06-15-2013, 08:01 AM
User Info
Thanks for shring your initial thoughts it seems that RazoRock and their artisan have another superb product on their hands. I look forward to hearing more as you are able to use it longer.

31 7,912
 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Thanks for the review. This is definitely on my list of soaps to try.

15 970
 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Indeed, thank you for your thoughts. I've been curious to try this one from the first time I've read about them, and this confirms it.

27 860
 06-15-2013, 12:31 PM
User Info
A bit belated, but here is the lather shot:
[Image: 2013_06_15_16_08_38.jpg]

Thick and super slick.

10 2,062
 06-16-2013, 10:42 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
I have only used it once myself and have to agree on the lather and slickness. The scent is more muted in my opinion in strength compared to XXX. XX is a totally different scent than the XXX as I think we all expected. Once again though a great performer and great price. I don't think you can go wrong. I'm not great with scent description either, but I do get some neroli, citrus and orange blossom. It's quite nice! 9/10 overall

40 416
 06-17-2013, 06:05 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I got my XX today and am sad to say I am very disappointed.

It seem to be a fantastic lather but it might as well be sold as unscented. I thought Fresco scent was faint but this stuff takes the cake. I test lathered it to see if it got stronger and like I said, what a great lather... but couldn't smell a thing.

I sniffed the tub for about two minutes trying to see if I liked it and I swear that it's too faint to even tell. From what I got it seems like it might be a winner of a scent, but if I had a great scent I would want to show it off. Pump of the volume you know.

I won't be re-ordering this one.

18 281
 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Thanks for the insight John. Of the new RazoRock releases I have to say this one intrigues me the most. I'm anxious to hear your opinions after you get a few more shaves in.

14 1,177
 06-19-2013, 04:41 AM
User Info
I used the XX again this morning, this time without the preshave. The scent was more noticeable this time, but still pretty faint. I was right about probably not needing the preshave for this though, the performance was still great and slick. This one is staying in my rotation.

10 2,062
 06-28-2013, 05:28 PM
User Info
I was going to write a review on this soap but since I found this thread I will just reply here.

I purchased this along with Brain Freeze and all I can say is that the Brain freeze wins hands down.

They both have the same excellent lathering and skin care. Outstanding in every way.

The problem I have is that while Brain freeze is an outstanding improvement scent wise over any similar product I have ever used, And I mean night and day for me. This XX doesn't have a scent with notes I can pick out let alone be an improvement on anything.

I really wish they had given the Brain Freeze a more appealing and upscale name because it truly deserves more attention than it will garner with the current name. It will appeal to menthol lovers but I fear it may not be noticed for what it truly is. Which is the most natural smelling Eucalyptus and Menthol I have ever tried.

I can't fault the quality of this soap because it is wonderful but the scent while not off putting in any way is just nondescript and faint to me.

6 1,224