06-15-2013, 06:10 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Stopped by a Walgreens in Centerville the other day and saw some Superior 70 Bay Rum for only $2.05 so I went ahead and grabbed a bottle. I've heard a little bit about this stuff here and there but I had never see it or gotten the chance to try it before.
Made in the US territory of Puerto Rico. I actually visited there some years ago and do remember the old town of Ponce. I recall having some nice mofongo and coconut ice cream near an old Rum distillery there - now I wonder if that was the same distillery that cranks this stuff out.
Anyway it comes in a plastic bottle and is a generous 350ml (11.8oz), which is roughly the same price point as generic witch hazel. Likewise there is no diffuser so you'll have to throttle the pour with your thumb. I enjoy the scent - it has a very light classic bay rum scent and is 65% alcohol.
I've only used it a few times but I'm really enjoy it thus far. If you come across it for the price it is worth grabbing a bottle.

[Image: VbCF4Bu.jpg]

2 507
 06-15-2013, 11:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You sure can't argue with the price. Next time I'm in Walgreens I will check.

173 23,553
 06-16-2013, 02:37 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That is an insanely low price per ml.

45 3,955
 06-16-2013, 03:34 AM
User Info
I love Superior 70 and use it everyday. It has a nice light bay scent, a good dose of alcohol, and the price is tough to beat. It is $2.25 at the store across the street from work. I used an empty Witch Hazel container to transfer it to a couple glass bottles (4711 and AV) I had on hand.

18 569
 06-16-2013, 03:40 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Is that the Walgreens at the intersection of 50/29 and 236?

17 544
 06-16-2013, 05:04 AM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
Walgreen's used to carry this stuff at every location but it seems to be being phased out. If you go to the Walgreen's website, you can actually search for any product and find the closest store that carries it. I bought up all the remaining stock in a 50-mile radius (it was only two bottles Biggrin) a few months back. The only bay rum I can still use without skin irritation, and as it happens, also my favorite bay rum. It's fleeting, gone in 60 seconds, but I really enjoy it.

06-16-2013, 05:18 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
A nice price and it rang up as a sales tax-free item as well.
I should say not all Walgreens carries it, I know there are a few closer to me that don't normally have it. Also it wasn't in the shaving asle but on a back wall shelf near the pharmacist window. So you may want to ask someone there if they have it or not.
It appears there is a mentolated version too that may be fun to try.

(06-16-2013, 03:40 AM)Macko Wrote: Is that the Walgreens at the intersection of 50/29 and 236?

No it was just off of 28 Centreville Rd, I don't remember the intersection.

(06-16-2013, 05:04 AM)TRBeck Wrote: Walgreen's used to carry this stuff at every location but it seems to be being phased out. If you go to the Walgreen's website, you can actually search for any product and find the closest store that carries it. I bought up all the remaining stock in a 50-mile radius (it was only two bottles Biggrin) a few months back. The only bay rum I can still use without skin irritation, and as it happens, also my favorite bay rum. It's fleeting, gone in 60 seconds, but I really enjoy it.

That's a shame if they're going to phase it out. It didn't look like it was on clearance or anything.
I only grabbed one bottle to see if I would like it but I left two sitting on the shelf. Next time I'm up there I'll have to get a couple more.

2 507
 06-17-2013, 04:54 AM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
It's never been on clearance anywhere I've gone, but when I've bought it, it hasn't been replaced, even when it was gone for six months or more, and for instance, at our local store, the shelf tag disappeared, and the space has been filled with something else.

07-31-2013, 06:44 AM
User Info
I bought some online with free shippng its has medical properties
, maybe reflective of where its found in store.

7 156
 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
User Info
WOW! That's a fantastic price! Eeeeek

2 5,532
 07-31-2013, 06:50 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Here in the Bay Area of California the only Walgreens that carry it are in Hispanic neighborhoods, its in the ethnic product section.

In other areas I would call Walgreens to find out what area stores stock it .

15 541
 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
I have worked in and around Ponce a couple of times, A nice place to work! Dryer than the other side of the island.

This sounds pretty nice. I like AS that goes away so this sounds great.

6 1,224
 08-01-2013, 05:13 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I am going to have to look around where I live for some of this stuff.

1 819