06-16-2013, 02:58 AM
User Info
Hi everybody,
after years of shaving with multiblade razors and using spray foams, I recently moved(about 6 months)into classic shaving ,what great decision! and the truth is that I really love it.
As everyone, I suppose, I'm learning with time but also there are some doubts that arise and one is the life length of shaving soaps once opened.
To keep trying and testing and because I enjoy them I'm using now five different shaving soaps that I rotate (MWF, T & H 1805, DR Harris Marlborough, L'Occitane Cade and Proraso) and almost all them offer just 1 shelf life year once opened (MWF says 3 and Cade does not say) but, with the rotations, they will probably last much longer than one year, even more, I'd like to add some more soaps in the rotation so that the problem would still worsen
Are these shelflife dates really strict? What would happen with the soap quality and features beyond this date? Is there any way of extending the expiration date?
Thank you very much for your answers and best regards

0 31
 06-16-2013, 03:00 AM
User Info
Many people use vintage shaving soaps with no problems. About the only thing negative reported as a soap ages is that the scent diminishes. Creams can definitely go bad, but soaps seem to last for decades!

31 7,912
 06-16-2013, 07:50 AM
User Info
(06-16-2013, 03:00 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Many people use vintage shaving soaps with no problems. About the only thing negative reported as a soap ages is that the scent diminishes. Creams can definitely go bad, but soaps seem to last for decades!
Great to hear you! Many thanks SharpSpine;

0 31
 06-16-2013, 08:14 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
As long as they're hard soaps they'll last, as Brian said, creams and many soft soaps/croaps will go bad after a couple of years, especially if they are preservative free, like Cella.
I shave once a week with vintage William's and my pucks are about 40-50 years old..they have no scent but produce wonderful lather.

31 1,510
 06-16-2013, 08:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I was about to say I have some Williams, Colgate, and Old Spice pucks that are at least 40 years old and they work great when I use them. As stated, they have lost most of their scent but the soap is great.

173 23,488
 06-16-2013, 12:36 PM
User Info
`
Creams go bad ????

Yippeee..I can start buy some more in about a year !!!

`

0 22
 06-16-2013, 02:45 PM
User Info
Just remember that, at least in the US, bottled water has an expiration date. I read that the reason they have expiration dates is purely psychological. There is some evidence that bottled water will absorb some of the smells of its environment (i.e. bottles kept in the garage might start to smell like engine oil) but a one year date will not guard against this.

People either distrust non-expiration date products or they will look for "fresher" products. As for shaving soaps and creams, the less water in it the longer it will last.

72 1,407
 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM
User Info
*Points to the vintage puck of BB in his avatar...*

Soaps don't really have a shelf life, while creams do; but having said that you still can lather a dried out cream!

0 652
 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM
User Info
In my experience, sometimes EO in softer soaps can get rancid over several years - have not seen this with FO soap as far as I know.

0 641
 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
If you end up with some creams, you can extend their shelf life by keeping them in a cool, dark, dry environment. Some folks even refrigerate them. However, not all creams go bad. I have some vintage jars of Penhaligon's Lords cream that have dried out over time but which reconstitute with distilled water back to being like new, even with their scent intact.

183 12,002
 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I have some cream pushing seven or eight years old and it smells and performs fine. It is Crabtree and Evelyn sweet almond. Bought several tubs when they were deeply discounted. Several other brands getting up there as well. Soaps, as already mentioned, seem to go forever. I think dates on much packaging are for liability and marketing issues.

0 534
 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
User Info
I've got some creams I use which are well over 3 years old quite possibly much older as I bought a few of them used. All perform well. Scents seem to mellow over time, but I don't have anything approaching 40 years old like Johnny.

I've got a ton of soft soaps as well as hard soaps. All of them get used in a large rotation. I do expect to eventually end up with soaps and very little in the way of creams (at least soft creams), but for now I would not worry. Use them all and enjoy them. If one cream does go "bad" you will eventually notice and just dump it.

129 6,685
 06-25-2013, 06:35 PM
User Info
Do you all do anything special to store soaps that you don't plan on using for a while? I have a couple of pucks of the old formula AoS that I picked up a while back when they were on sale, and I've never really thought much about whether or not there's an ideal way to store them until I saw this thread.

2 129
 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
I tend to keep items not in my rotation in the basement to help keep it cool.

129 6,685
 06-25-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
I'd think the fridge would be good for long term storage. we have a laundry room fridge that contains my NB Signature cream, but it may get more added as my den grows.

how does a den grow when you are on sabbatical? I don't get it. Rolleyes

8 2,718
 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I have used soaps that are 50+ years old with no ill effects, but I also recently got a Puck of AOS Lemon that was putrid...thankfully I bought it at the Long Island Location and the AoS online people were very respectful and offered a free exchange.

I think that some soaps will only get better with age...I would NEVER throw out a soap that looked and smelled good no matter how old it was, so there you go! Yardley Black Label anyone?

68 1,416