06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
I recently purchased a Fatip Grande since I enjoyed the Joris so much. I was lucky to get one with a fairly good finish. Nowhere near the Joris, but then again, sometimes you get what you pay for.

The issue I am having is the blade alignment. I used it with a Gillette 7 o'clock black. The exposure on either side seems to be the same, but it appears more twisted than anything. Top of blade has more than bottom half almost like in a slant fashion if that makes any sense.

I tried the blade in the Joris and it had no issues. I'm wondering if the posts on the top plate are just off ever so slightly? I will try to post a pic for viewing. Anyone else have similar issues???

35 401
 06-16-2013, 12:02 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I had the same issue with both Fatips I owned, it's fairly common. Mine shaved fine, I think on mine it was actually the top caps being a bit uneven, making it look like the blade was crooked.

31 1,510
 06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
User Info
Fatips are known for such issues, if it dont bother the shave then just leave it be.Wink

0 606
 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM
User Info
Mine is flawless, the finish on the other hand lol....

0 652
 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM
User Info
Maybe a refinish at Razor Emporium would be a good idea. They realign various parts of the razor as well.

1 622
 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM
User Info
For all it's faults, I have good luck with the Fatip in all the iterations.

3 73
 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I just got a Fatip Piccolo and used it two times already. shaves great. Better than a Joris I had. I think The Fatip/Joris heads are made with very sloppy tolreances. Both Joris and Fatip had blade alignment issues. The problem is not alignment per se, but rather too much slop in the blade to top plate and top plate to bottom plate interfaces. As a result the blade can go all over the place before it gets clamped down. So, if you happened to clamp it down when it was crooked, it will be crooked. If you loosen the head to a point where the blade is loose, but the handle is still on, you can adjust the blade in the head and when you are happy clamp it down. If you do this, you will be amazed how much the blade and the top plate can move in there. You can have several kinds of misalignment problems.

One is where the blade is not parallel to the head. This produces the effect of two opposite corners of the blade protruding out way more than the other two. Like in the pictures below.

[Image: 6N5fXbc.jpg]

[Image: KLv1c0g.jpg]

You can also have an uneven blade distribution where the blade is parallel to the head, but the blade exposure is uneven. Like in a picture below.

[Image: 9XS0BVi.jpg]

Then you can have a perfect alignment like in picture below.

[Image: 9YFcVeI.jpg]

All of the above pictures were taken within minutes of each other and with the same blade and razor. I only loosened the head and moved the blade into various positions it can go. There are two places where tolerances are loose. One is the spikes on either side of the center post in the top plate are too small in diameter to register the blade exactly in place. This is common in most razors utilizing this method of registration. EJ, Merkur, they all do this. However, Fatip has a second issue which compounds the tolerance error. The bottom plate's holes for the spikes in the top plate are way too big allowing the top plate to be tightened in a wide range of positions. This in combination with the blade being loose in the top plate creates a huge slop in the whole assembly and can create issues pictured above. This razor is definitely not a precision instrument. Neither is Joris, which has similar issues and costs 4-5 times as much as Fatip. However, I have tried just blindly throwing in a blade and assembling the razor many times over and most times the blade comes up centered and straight. This is my copy, yours may be different. In any case, the blade can be adjusted to be centered and parallel in the head. It just takes a few more seconds in the razor setup. Once the blade is in the head properly, the Fatip is a wonderful shaver. Aggressive, but not crazy, smooth, has excellent audio feedback and blade feel. For under $30 it's not a bad value, though I think Cadet/RazoRock OC head is a touch milder, but better made. Though it too suffers from similar issues, the tolerances seem to be a bit tighter on it. I really like my RazoRock OC head and it takes any handle out there, pretty much, whereas Fatip has a unique thread on the post.

25 1,695
 07-03-2013, 04:22 AM
User Info
I have the same problem with my Joris & Fatip. When I load the blade, I turn the razor upside down so that the cap is at the bottom and the handle points straight up. It isn't always perfect, but it works more often than not.

66 692
 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM
User Info
(06-16-2013, 12:02 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I had the same issue with both Fatips I owned, it's fairly common. Mine shaved fine, I think on mine it was actually the top caps being a bit uneven, making it look like the blade was crooked.

Bingo!!! +1

0 205