06-16-2013, 07:58 PM
User Info
The theremin is one of the easiest musical instruments to play, and one of the most difficult to play well since the notes are pulled out of the air. There are no frets, no strings, no buttons, no touching the instrument at all. By play I don't mean to play and make SciFi noises with or just to make odd sounds, but played like an instrument.

I've wanted one since I was a child * and I have the time now... Time to learn if it's for me or not. Time to practice to see if it's for me, and the maturity to have the regimen required to practice.

So are there any theremin players on the forum? If so I could use some advice.

*I built one as a child, but it was crude and pitch control was virtually impossible; volume control, what was that? It was barely suitable for SciFi effects.

32 6,302
 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Washington State
User Info
One if my favorite oddball bands, DeVotchKa, use a theremin in a number if their songs. When I saw them live I was absolutely amazed by how cool it was. Good luck on your quest, it would be an awesome instrument to learn.

35 1,726
 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Perfect for the shaving enthusiast/budding theremin player.

31 1,510
 06-17-2013, 04:41 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
One of the things I love about the show Midsomer Murders is the theme.

0 204
 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM
User Info
I played one at the Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale in March. It was an experience for sure.

15 762