06-18-2013, 11:24 PM
User Info
Hi Gents, and Gals Smile

I thought I would start a little thread about the best lathers you shavers have ever made. Lets make it a Top 5. After my shave last night after hitting the gym hard for 3 hours with cardio and weights, I took time to a looooooong shower followed by an even looooooonger lasting shave.

And I got the perhaps best lather I have yet made in my shaving life. A thick slick, foamy, protecting lather that made my 2-pass shave into a great experience and touch up could be done as usual without the need for adding further lather to my face.

I used a super lather of Martin de Candre Unscented soap and Castle Forbes Lime (after I moved, all the CF Lime cream were upside down in the container and it had turned softer and less gel like in texture, even though the lid had been sealed totally)

I applied a good deal of Castle Forbes Lime cream to my wet face with my fingers, rubbed it thoroughly in, adding drops of water.
Then dipped my brush scuttle soaked moist Thäter 4125/3 Bulb Black kind of huge brush into the Martin de Candre glass pot. Swirled it around gently for 90 seconds (I have extremely hard water)
Then started massaging it into the beard that was already coated in Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream. Took my time. After 4-5 minutes rubbing it in, massaging the face with the brush, I ended up with something good, well in fact the greatest lather I feel I have ever made up until now in my shaving life.

It didn't even dry up on me, even though I took extra long with my Pils Matte stainless razor and a Gillette Blue SP 7 O'Clock blade Tongue

I just knew this lather was a 10/10. The best I have yet made.
What is your favorite lather ?

My current Top 5 all are Super Latheres with Martin de Candre Unscented used as the soap Cool

1. MDC + Castle Forbes Lime 10/10
2. MDC + Acca Kappa 1869 Pot 9.5/10
3. MDC + Xpec Unscented 9.25/10
4. MDC + Santa Maria Novella 9/10
5. MDC + Acqua Di Parma Pot 9/10

Honorable mention:
MDC + Floris 89 Tube 9/10
MDC + Penhaligon Blenheims Bouquet 9/10
MDC + I Coloniali Rhubarb 9/10
MDC + O' Melhor 9/10
MDC + GFT Coconut 9/10

Still need to test MDC with my CF Lavender and my Penhalion Endymion and Opus 1870 creams and the Xpec Scented cream........life is tough Biggrin

22 5,044
 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM
User Info
Any time i use Mystic Water or Mike's with Vancovuer's super soft water!Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM
User Info
My absolute best lathers have been with vintage soaps - Houbigant Fougere Royale, Yardley Black Label, Woods of Windsor, and the old tallow-based Floris and Penhaligon's soaps. They've produced lathers that required no work at all, that seemed to want to bloom, that were just song in suds.

183 12,002
 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
There are a few products that need absolutely no help to produce awesome lathers, but my absolute best lathers come mostly from superlather. There's nothing like a good combo to create tons of thick, slick lather and a unique scent.

1) Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorn soap with The Body Shop Maca Root Cream
2) The Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp cream
3) Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose cream
4) Pre De Provence soap with Kiss My Face Green Tea & Bamboo cream
5) Proraso White soap with Kiss My Face Cool Mint cream

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
User Info
1. Nancy Boy Signature Cream
2. Acqua di Parma
3. Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
4. Mitchell Wool Fat
5. Mikes (from Brooklyn)

0 12
 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
In no particular order:

Soaps:

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Speick Stick/Grated
Santa Maria Novella
Proraso Green Tub
Mystic Water

Creams:

Kiehl's Lite Flite
Speick Cream

173 23,499
 06-19-2013, 04:58 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Gold Dachs-spezial directly applied somewhat generously (face-lathered with a boar and distilled water, applies also to the following four)

TheGentlemansRefinery Unscented shave cream.

Sultans Original Shaving Soap Unscented.

Klar Kabinett.

Klar Classic.

0 1,291
 06-19-2013, 06:20 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
50/50 grated mix of Tabac and AoS Sandalwood. Crazy good.

135 1,946
 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM
User Info
1) MdC
2) AdP
3) Nancy Boy
4) Harris Marlborough Super Lather
5) AoS Superlather

On a side note, sometimes when I test lather on my palm with a new brush, I end up making some ridiculously rich and thick lather that is typically better than that I get when I face lather. But, once I transfer that lather to my face, it is no longer of the same quality Sad.

8 124