06-19-2013, 06:24 AM
User Info
As a runner I improved my form by empasizing my focus on one technical aspect a week. Over time they integrated with each other and became automatic. I have started doing that with shaving. I needed your help to add to my list of isolated skills.

1. Pressure- use the lightest touch possible
2. Blade angle- use the smallest effective angle
3. lather consistency -I think this factor accounts for diferences in my quality of shaves more than any other.

What else should be on my list?

0 54
 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(06-19-2013, 06:24 AM)Malarkey Wrote: As a runner I improved my form by empasizing my focus on one technical aspect a week. Over time they integrated with each other and became automatic. I have started doing that with shaving. I needed your help to add to my list of isolated skills.

3. lather consistency -I think this factor accounts for diferences in my quality of shaves more than any other.

4. map out the growth pattern and move the razor around the face accordingly. It's easy to just go any old way, but if you find the pattern that works, it really helps. The usual 3 passes: WTG, ATG and XTG are good, but you need to know the growth pattern to apply them. Once you know the growth pattern it's good to train yourself to follow it consistently. This often gets missed in generan advice, but it's important.

Enjoy the journey!

25 1,705
 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
5. Dont rush is not sprint is a marathon

Enjoy!

11 861
 06-19-2013, 07:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-19-2013, 06:58 AM)vferdman Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 06:24 AM)Malarkey Wrote: As a runner I improved my form by empasizing my focus on one technical aspect a week. Over time they integrated with each other and became automatic. I have started doing that with shaving. I needed your help to add to my list of isolated skills.

4. map out the growth pattern and move the razor around the face accordingly. It's easy to just go any old way, but if you find the pattern that works, it really helps. The usual 3 passes: WTG, ATG and XTG are good, but you need to know the growth pattern to apply them. Once you know the growth pattern it's good to train yourself to follow it consistently. This often gets missed in generan advice, but it's important.

Enjoy the journey!

This one is extremely important. Once I figured it out, I can now get as close with two passes as I use to get with three. Plus, once you figure this out, it cuts way down on the irritation.

173 23,557
 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
6. Stretch - in particular where your growth mapping revealed challenge areas.

35 2,703
 06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
User Info
Johnny, when you do two passes, which directions do you shave?

0 54
 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I would say Prep. Getting your whiskers as hydrated as possible to allow the blade to easily slice through the hair... Once I got my prep routine down it was smooth sailing....

5 1,151