06-20-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
The new Walgreeens in Downtown Crossing has a pretty full complement of Proraso! I was down there today, meandering for some aftershaves, and saw a display of nothing but Proraso. I wasn't able to catalog completely, but this is what I saw:

Green tube
Green tub
Proraso/Omega brush
Green pre-shave
Green aftershave splash (they were out of stock, or else I would have bought it)
White cream
White tub
White pre-shave
White aftershave balm
Red tube
Green foam
Red foam

Also the prices were pretty competitive (I specifically remember the green splash being $14). For those who don't know Walgreens just recently moved into a large former Borders space (originally was a bank) at the corner of Washington and School Streets. This is one of their "higher end" Walgreens, with a smoothie bar and sushi and a cosmetics section. The Proraso was actually in a display in the cosmetics station (don't ask why I was in there - I don't even know).

72 1,407
 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have two Walgreens in Wausau and if they start to carry stuff like this, it's sure going to tick off some vendors. Just think, I could buy my Preparation H and Proraso at the same time.Biggrin

173 23,553
 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM
User Info
(06-20-2013, 11:02 AM)Johnny Wrote: I have two Walgreens in Wausau and if they start to carry stuff like this, it's sure going to tick off some vendors. Just think, I could buy my Preparation H and Proraso at the same time.Biggrin

So long as you don't accidentally try to lather-up the Preparation H! Biggrin

0 386
 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-20-2013, 11:06 AM)branford Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 11:02 AM)Johnny Wrote: I have two Walgreens in Wausau and if they start to carry stuff like this, it's sure going to tick off some vendors. Just think, I could buy my Preparation H and Proraso at the same time.Biggrin

So long as you don't accidentally try to lather-up the Preparation H! Biggrin

Or put the Proraso where it does not belong. Biggrin

173 23,553
 06-20-2013, 11:18 AM
User Info
(06-20-2013, 11:08 AM)Johnny Wrote: Or put the Proraso where it does not belong. Biggrin

At least it would be cooling!

10 2,062
 06-20-2013, 11:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Back to the original post, Walgreens and Proraso.Smile

173 23,553
 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM
User Info
(06-20-2013, 10:31 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Also the prices were pretty competitive (I specifically remember the green splash being $14). For those who don't know Walgreens just recently moved into a large former Borders space (originally was a bank) at the corner of Washington and School Streets. This is one of their "higher end" Walgreens, with a smoothie bar and sushi and a cosmetics section. The Proraso was actually in a display in the cosmetics station (don't ask why I was in there - I don't even know).

That's a huge location - did they take the whole space?

97 615
 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM
User Info
(06-20-2013, 11:38 AM)mcgils Wrote: That's a huge location - did they take the whole space?

They did, although they knocked out the second floor.

72 1,407
 06-21-2013, 07:17 AM
User Info
I've got a friend who works for walgreens in their IT department.

I should find out if the company is going to begin carrying proraso in all of its stores.

40 5,830
 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM
User Info
(06-21-2013, 07:17 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I should find out if the company is going to begin carrying proraso in all of its stores.

I checked online and a search on their site for "Proraso" didn't come back with anything. It was definitely a featured display, not in the shaving/grooming area but in their fancier cosmetics area (I think its called "Look Boutique" - don't judge!). There were some product description pamphlets and advertising materials there so it might be a trial balloon. If I get out for lunch I'll try to snap a photo, and hopefully not get banned for being some sort of weirdo.

72 1,407
 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
User Info
(06-21-2013, 07:40 AM)jpakstis Wrote: If I get out for lunch I'll try to snap a photo, and hopefully not get banned for being some sort of weirdo.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Now the real serious question, how is the Walsushi?

Seriously that's great news that Walgreens is trying out carrying Proraso.

3 452
 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
(06-20-2013, 10:31 AM)jpakstis Wrote: The new Walgreeens in Downtown Crossing has a pretty full complement of Proraso! I was down there today, meandering for some aftershaves, and saw a display of nothing but Proraso. I wasn't able to catalog completely, but this is what I saw:

Green tube
Green tub
Proraso/Omega brush
Green pre-shave
Green aftershave splash (they were out of stock, or else I would have bought it)
White cream
White tub
White pre-shave
White aftershave balm
Red tube
Green foam
Red foam

Also the prices were pretty competitive (I specifically remember the green splash being $14). For those who don't know Walgreens just recently moved into a large former Borders space (originally was a bank) at the corner of Washington and School Streets. This is one of their "higher end" Walgreens, with a smoothie bar and sushi and a cosmetics section. The Proraso was actually in a display in the cosmetics station (don't ask why I was in there - I don't even know).

That's fantastic! I'll have to pay it a visit when I get back to the city!

5 407
 06-23-2013, 03:40 PM
User Info
My wife this morning stopped in at the former Borders, now Walgreens after having finished a BAA 10K road race after.

The Proraso section is indeed in the women's cosmetic section. The helpful clerk didn't understand what Proraso was and summoned the manager section as Mrs. Redrako was on the phone with me.

She picked me up a Sandalwood Tube and Eucalyptus, Menthol tub and with good humor snapped a cell photo. (What a Woman!HeartHeartHeart)

She mentioned that both the clerk and manager were very pleasant and the manager was eager to explain to her about Proraso products. After politely listening for a moment, she interjected that my husband knows all about this stuff from the internet.

She then asked permission to snap a quick photo, which they were happy to oblige.

[Image: p4R05si.jpg]

3 452
 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
"That's not going to be good for business... That's not going to be good for anybody!" LOLOL...

3 315
 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Very nice. I hope their trial pays off and we start to see Proraso in more Walgreens across the country.
I should check some close to home to see if they have it Smile

10 486
 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM
User Info
Just FYI I was just told that they have the splash back in stock.

72 1,407
 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM
User Info
That's wicked good news!(I've been studying the Boston language and wanted to try it out)

0 21
 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
But why was the Proraso in the women's cosmetic section? When it does not sell they will discontinue the product line. Someone should tell them the correct section to put it in.

173 23,553
 06-25-2013, 01:43 AM
User Info
(06-24-2013, 09:00 PM)Johnny Wrote: But why was the Proraso in the women's cosmetic section? When it does not sell they will discontinue the product line. Someone should tell them the correct section to put it in.

That was my thought too.

My wife didn't think to ask that question while she was there. Naturally when she walked into the store, she went immediately to the men's shaving section. When she asked for help from a clerk, the clerk marched her back to the exact same shaving section.

My wife just walked into the room as I was typing. Her thought is that there wasn't room in the small shaving section for the large, free standing display that they placed it elsewhere.

I would wonder also if Proraso, or it's wholesaler had an agreement with Walgreens about not just placing the product on shelves, but featuring them in a display.

3 452
 06-25-2013, 04:16 AM
User Info
(06-24-2013, 09:00 PM)Johnny Wrote: But why was the Proraso in the women's cosmetic section? When it does not sell they will discontinue the product line. Someone should tell them the correct section to put it in.

I don't think its meant to be in the "womens" cosmetic section, but merely the more "boutique" side of the store. The layout is that the "regular" Walgreens side is on one side and the more higher-end cosmetics section on the other (including a nail and grooming salon). I happened to wander into that section because it does have stuff like lotions and hair care products.

I want to be clear - this is meant to be a flagship store and to offer products and services that they don't have at say a run-of-the-mill Walgreens (not to be snobby sounding, but this is a highly prized location so Walgreens probably felt the need to bring a little extra). Here is the press release from when it opened to show how different it was going to be:

http://news.walgreens.com/article_displa...le_id=5735

From what I remember, they have another one of these in New York and maybe Chicago?

72 1,407