06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
  • djh985
  • Straight Survivor
  • Louisana
User Info
I have been doing the DE thing for a bit now and really like it. Shaving is no longer a chore. I love my Merkur 39C and it does an incredible job but the straights have been calling my name. I grabbed a shave ready Gold Dollar off Ebay and have used it twice. I picked up a couple of smaller 4/8 razors at a flea market. One is a Shur Edge and the other a Genco Expert. Where I need help is in a recommendation for a good beginner strop. I have been looking at some Illinois Strops. Are they okay? Next I need to send the 2 flea market finds to get honed and would like some input on who you use and recommend. I did full face shaves both times with the G.D. and enjoyed doing it so want to persue this straight thing a bit farther. Thanks for any suggestions.
David

3 19
 06-21-2013, 01:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Where are you located? Our very own Obie does an excellent job of honing razors.

173 23,555
 06-21-2013, 03:32 AM
User Info
Larry at whipped dog has some very reasonable priced beginners strops. That's what I started with and then after I got the technique down you can move on to a nicer strop.

Sent from the Wall via raven

1 96
 06-21-2013, 05:37 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
[quote='djh985' pid='257783' dateline='1371798178']
I have been doing the DE thing for a bit now and really like it. Shaving is no longer a chore. I love my Merkur 39C and it does an incredible job but the straights have been calling my name. I grabbed a shave ready Gold Dollar off Ebay and have used it twice. I picked up a couple of smaller 4/8 razors at a flea market. One is a Shur Edge and the other a Genco Expert. Where I need help is in a recommendation for a good beginner strop. I have been looking at some Illinois Strops. Are they okay? Next I need to send the 2 flea market finds to get honed and would like some input on who you use and recommend. I did full face shaves both times with the G.D. and enjoyed doing it so want to persue this straight thing a bit farther. Thanks for any suggestions.
David
[/quote
David:
The Robeson ShurEdge and the Genco razors are quality brands. The Gold Dollar is another story, especially when sold on eBay as "shave ready."
Your Robeson ShurEdge and Genco, in all likelihood, will need cleaning up and honing. I have yet to come across a flea market razor that did not need work. I don't know what shape your they are in. Please post a photo of them so that we can tell.
A good strop for the money is the Illinois 127. We all cut strops when we start out. If you cut your strop, you can either repair it, if possible, or get another one. No big deal. It's all part of the learning process.
Don't start your straight razor experience with junk. Start with good stuff. I don't mean you should buy a $400 Thiers-Issard razor, no, but a good razor for a reasonably good price. Or have your Genco and SureEdge cleaned up and honed — if they can be. Same with your strop: get a good one for the money and learn to strop properly, because proper stropping is essential.
Finally, I'll gladly mentor you, if you like. It will be my pleasure. You are more than welcome to drop me a personal message.
Good luck.

David:
The Robeson ShurEdge and the Genco razors are quality brands. The Gold Dollar is another story, especially when sold on eBay as "shave ready."
Your Robeson ShurEdge and Genco, in all likelihood, will need cleaning up and honing. I have yet to come across a flea market razor that did not need work. I don't know what shape your they are in. Please post a photo of them so that we can tell.
A good strop for the money is the Illinois 127. We all cut strops when we start out. If you cut your strop, you can either repair it, if possible, or get another one. No big deal. It's all part of the learning process.
Don't start your straight razor experience with junk. Start with good stuff. I don't mean you should buy a $400 Thiers-Issard razor, no, but a good razor for a reasonably good price. Or have your Genco and SureEdge cleaned up and honed — if they can be. Same with your strop: get a good one for the money and learn to strop properly, because proper stropping is essential.
Finally, I'll gladly mentor you, if you like. It will be my pleasure. You are more than welcome to drop me a personal message.
Good luck.

David:
Good luck.

132 2,614
 06-21-2013, 07:23 AM
  • djh985
  • Straight Survivor
  • Louisana
User Info
The Gold Dollar mentioned above was bought from a gentleman that had reworked it, according to him, on 5 different stones. I had read some reviews I googled that said the GD was a good razor when reworked. I took a chance and actually like the razor, it is a 6/8 it appears. I shaved with it two times full face, nearly(have gotee). I do plan on getting a better razor as soon as I recover from down payment on daughters car, vacation, and college tuition . June was very expensive.

And Johny I went to profile and put in location. I live in Bogalusa, La, which is just above New Orleans.

3 19
 06-21-2013, 07:41 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
David:

For some reason my post above did not show up. These computing machine thingies confuse me. I should have stayed in the 19th century, where I belong.

The Robeson SureEdge and the Genco are quality brands of razors from bygone years. Almost all the razors picked up at flea markets, in my experience, need considerable work. They have to be cleaned up and polished, and the blades frequently need to be repaired and honed. Now and then you get lucky and find a gem that does not need much work, although it will have to be honed.

For newbies buying razors at flea markets and antique store, please remember that the razor for which you paid, say $20, will take probably $50 or $60 to repair and hone. So it's really not much of a bargain. There are exceptions, of course, but in my experience, most need considerable amount of work. Some are beyond hope.

The same thing is true with eBay. For that reason, I always advise newbies to keep away from eBay until you know your way around the straight razor world.

As for your strop, you could not go wrong with the Illinois 127 for the money. And if you cut it, as we all have in the beginning, you can repair it, if possible, and if not, get another strop. It's part of the learning process.

It's hard to tell the state of your razors without photos, David. Either way, I'll gladly mentor you, if you like. It'll be my pleasure.

Good luck.

132 2,614
 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM
  • djh985
  • Straight Survivor
  • Louisana
User Info
Here are the pics of the Shur Edge and Genco. The Genco actually is sharp enough to shave my arm hair with nothing done to it. The black handle is the Shur Edge, Yellow is genco.

[Image: S5000215_zps8a28602e.jpg]
[Image: S5000214_zps02e4d06e.jpg]
[Image: S5000213_zpse5343668.jpg]
[Image: S5000212_zps0d7a5ce3.jpg]

3 19
 06-21-2013, 09:11 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
David:

From what I can tell from your photos, the Robeson SureEdge, the 4/8, has so much hone wear on the cutting edge that the blade looks distorted. It also has a nasty frown. By the time all that is fixed on a 4/8 blade and the razor honed, your blade will probably be a 3/8, if not smaller, and resemble an oversize tooth pick. It will be costly repair work. I suggest taking your loss on the razor and not doing anything with it. Again, my conclusion is from what I can tell from the photo.

The Genco, again from what I can tell from the photo, looks to be in better shape. Further, in person it might be better than it looks in the photo, or worse. It's hard to tell from the photo. It's hard to tell the exact state of the blade until seen under a scope. Either way, from what I can determine from the photo, the razor has a chance. It might not be the case when seen in person.

132 2,614
 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM
  • djh985
  • Straight Survivor
  • Louisana
User Info
I agree on the Sure Edge. I just placed it on a flat surface and shined a light behind it and it was obvious. I will be out a lot of money by ditching it...$5.

3 19
 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
David:
That's good thinking about ditching the SureEdge. As I noted, from the photo, the Genco looks to have hope. These are good razors. Once fixed and honed, they become fine shavers.

132 2,614
 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM
  • djh985
  • Straight Survivor
  • Louisana
User Info
Okay I am Straight "razorless" pretty much. I still have to get the Genco honed but sold the Gold Dollar to a buddy that just had to have it. Now that I know straights are for me I plan on grabbing a nice shave ready razor. The Shur Edge does a nice job cutting tobacco plugs for my pipes so the $5 was not wasted.

3 19
 06-29-2013, 04:07 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Before you ditch the Sure Edge, take the scales off if they are in good shape.. Never know if you end up going down the path of restoring something in the future and the scales might come in handy.

Send the Genco out to be honed by someone who knows what they are doing.. In fact, I suggest that the first thing you do with ANY razor you buy is send it to a hone-meister. As a newbie, there are a lot of variables that can make or break a good shave. Lather, blade angle, pressure, stretch and of course, edge quality. Being able to eliminate any of these variables raises your success rate. So until a new shaver can identify if an edge is good order, make it a non-issue by having it honed.

Build a relationship with the hone-meister.. not only will you make new friends, but often they have razors come through their hands that end up for sale. Plus their eyes see things in blades a newbie can't... it can save you a lot of time and effort, not to mention money and bad shaves.

You have a PM coming...

33 914