06-21-2013, 07:37 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Ever since I started this wet shaving journey I have used boars and only boars. My first brush was a Tweezerman that fell apart in three days. Since then I have bought and bough Semogue brushes like they were going out of stock. With my recent lathering troubles face lathering with them I have recently started using my badger brushes, albeit the two I own.

Last night I spent two hours lathering using the badger brush that comes with the Deluxe VDH kit that my significant other got me for my birthday last year, mainly because I wanted the stand and mug. I had never even used this unknown brush before, but here I was going to lather every soap I had with it or at least try. Well, the results were mind blowing. I went from Cella, Arko, Mike's, DR Harris, the list goes and every time I got such better lather while face lathering than with any boar brush to date. Usually I have to reload with my boar brushes after only two passes. However, with this little unknown brush when I finally decided to shave my my Arko lather I had enough for 3 plus passes and touch ups. This is something unheard of with me face lathering using a boar.

Will this phenomenon lead me to using only badger brushes from now on? I must say I learned a lot from watching the videos that I believe WSP puts up on you tube about squeezing the brush out and then lathering and I must say I might of finally got the ultra lather and dense lather that Brian and Matt talk about in my other post about helping me lather. I can't say for sure, but I can't wait to try an even better made badger brush soon and see if the results continue.

15 970
 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
User Info
i am happily guilty of this wonderful change! It happened to me over one year ago!Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-21-2013, 08:39 AM
User Info
"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."

5 410
 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Never! Forever SmiliePig HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

173 23,554
 06-21-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
I own 51 badger brushes and one mixed badger and boar.

I will probably never own a boar because it has to soak for too long and I just hate how the hairs looks, when wet - almost scary Tongue

I'm focussing on badgers, synthetics from Mühle and maybe a couple of mixed boars and badgers from Semogue.

I'm trying to stay around 50-60 brushes in my colletion to avoid getting crazy Biggrin
I also feel that as long as you have a good deal of badgers with different handles, different lofts, different badger hair grades, different knot shapes and different knot sizes, you can always find a brush that will suit what ever product you might use that day Smile

Badgers are just Better Brushes Wink Number_one

BadgerBadgerBadger2vikoroBadgerBadgerBadger

22 5,070
 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I am trying a little of everything horse, boar, mixed, synthetics and of course the Badger.

Now I have a Tweezerman, I use it, and it does not shed and has not fallen apart. (Going on Several Years Now)

1 819
 06-21-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
(06-21-2013, 07:37 AM)tsimmns Wrote: <snip>
Will this phenomenon lead me to using only badger brushes from now on? I must say I learned a lot from watching the videos that I believe WSP puts up on you tube about squeezing the brush out and then lathering and I must say I might of finally got the ultra lather and dense lather that Brian and Matt talk about in my other post about helping me lather. I can't say for sure, but I can't wait to try an even better made badger brush soon and see if the results continue.

Who knows? But what of it? It's of no significance IMO. You should do what works for you; that's what's important; not the brush you ultimately use.

But you're also doing the right thing IMO. Experiment and discover what works best.

32 6,311
 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
I face lather as well. I use badger for creams and soft soaps. I tend to use boar brushes for French milled soap to increase the loading.

0 41
 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM
User Info
Welcome to the dark side...Badger

63 2,128
 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I must admit that in general I prefer badger, but boar brushes have earned their spot in my rotation. I am not a fan of pure badger or horse as I find them uncomfortable on my face. But a nice Semogue or Omega offers a nice change of pace and I have no problems creating just as much lather with them as I do with my badgers. There is definitely a difference in technique as the boar brushes have thicker hairs and hold much less water within the knot, this is especially apparent when loading soaps. If I had to choose only one brush for the rest of my days it would be a badger, but since I don't have to make that choice both will remain in my nook. I would say my collection is about 3:1 badger to boar.

127 2,395