06-21-2013, 02:16 PM
User Info
So how many times would you say it takes the get the technique down when using a feather SS non-folding

4 101
 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Can't answer that one Karl. I can tell you I had no problem at all with the folding model.

173 23,290
 06-21-2013, 04:33 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Karl, mastering the straight razor, whether the real one or one with replaceable blades, depends on the individual shaver. If I may suggest, forget counting the number of times it will take you to master the SS non-folding. Take care shaving with it and enjoying it and one day you'll realize you have arrived.

132 2,614
 06-21-2013, 08:54 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I don't have that one, I have the folding version (took me a few shaves to get used to the weight/balance/angle/thinness of the tang/etc.)

But, your question can't be answered as is:
Is this for someone who is used to using straight razors?
Are they used to using non-folding japanese style straights?
Or are they just learning to use straights on this equipment?

Either way, each person will have a different learning curve, but those 3 variables above will make a huge difference in the answer

Like Obie said though, just take it slow and steady and you'll know when you've got it Thumbsup

10 411
 06-21-2013, 09:10 PM
User Info
i put my self under just learning
i had the folding SS first used it 2 times before selling because it seemed to BE that THE handle was a limit to vision
now have the non-folding used 3 times so for a grand total of 5 straight shaves Rolleyes

4 101
 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The issue with the folding handle obscuring vision disappeared for me after a week or so of use. During this time I was convinced that the non folding was better. I still now prefer the non folding, but no longer have issue with the folding limiting my view.

A few shaves with a DE is enough to tell whether or not you are going to get along, but the Feather AC system (and straights for that matter) require a different technique and therefore more time to adjust for the novice user.

91 17,618