06-23-2013, 05:43 AM
User Info
Not only do the stitches hurt but I had to go through a psychiatric exam to prove that this was not a suicide attempt.......................

I used my new Joris (bone-handled, gold-plated) razor on Saturday. To minimize the aggressive exposure I used a new Feather Blade. I lathered with my usual Dial soap and proceeded to shave. I did a 4 pass shave. Upon rinsing with cold water I started to feel light-headed and notice a pool of blood in the sink. 12 towels and 3 alum blocks later the bleeding was down to a gush from a torrent.

The bad news is that I went from looking like George Clooney to Curious George. The good news is that I don't need to shave for the next 30 days.

The razor should have come with the following warning: THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Can't wait to try a straight razor next...........................................

0 16
 06-23-2013, 06:25 AM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(06-23-2013, 05:43 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote: Not only do the stitches hurt but I had to go through a psychiatric exam to prove that this was not a suicide attempt.......................

Can't wait to try a straight razor next...........................................

Maybe you should consider this setup first!Tongue

[Image: HHosp.jpg]

0 254
 06-23-2013, 07:40 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
How delightfully nauseating Biggrin

Hopefully you're feeling better!

13 599
 06-23-2013, 01:07 PM
User Info
(06-23-2013, 05:43 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote: Not only do the stitches hurt but I had to go through a psychiatric exam to prove that this was not a suicide attempt.......................

I used my new Joris (bone-handled, gold-plated) razor on Saturday. To minimize the aggressive exposure I used a new Feather Blade. I lathered with my usual Dial soap and proceeded to shave. I did a 4 pass shave. Upon rinsing with cold water I started to feel light-headed and notice a pool of blood in the sink. 12 towels and 3 alum blocks later the bleeding was down to a gush from a torrent.

The bad news is that I went from looking like George Clooney to Curious George. The good news is that I don't need to shave for the next 30 days.

The razor should have come with the following warning: THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Well, to state the obvious I would try another blade.

In seriousness, until your technique with the Joris improves, you might want to try a blade known for smoothness over sharpness like a Big Ben. Then move up to blades like Personna Reds, then up some more as you gain the correct technique.

Good fortune.

1 2,827
 06-24-2013, 07:52 AM
User Info
OMG.... hope you feel well.
I actually wanted to buy the horn/gold model but after this story...

I am afraid to ask but curiosity got the best of me - how did that happen?

Btw this would never happen with a straight razor as they do require full attention.

6 808
 06-24-2013, 08:11 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Wish you a nice recovery!

4 447
 06-25-2013, 06:37 AM
User Info
(06-24-2013, 07:52 AM)Galhatz Wrote: OMG.... hope you feel well.
I actually wanted to buy the horn/gold model but after this story...

I am afraid to ask but curiosity got the best of me - how did that happen?

Btw this would never happen with a straight razor as they do require full attention.

The Joris head is as close to a straight razor shave as you will find in a DE razor. It requires significant attention and almost no pressure to prevent accidents. IF and I say IF you master your technique with a Joris I believe that no other DE will give the same quality of shave. In my opinion much better than a slant or an adjustable with a bigger head. And, the build quality of a Joris makes it a legacy product for your children/grandchildren

0 16
 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Actually, throw a Feather in a 2011 R41 and you'll soon discover just how tame the Joris really is.

All the best with your recovery.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

29 466
 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Try one of the many mild razors out there. Two inexpensive ones come to mind. If you like vintage, the Gillette Super Speeds are a good option. If you want new, the basic Merkur 34C is a good option. If you post a question about suggestions for a mild blade, you'll get some suggestions. Or email Phil at Bullgoose Shaving and he'll give you some options. Stay away from the obviously hyper sharp blades, such as the Feather, Gillette Yellow, or Polsilver Super Iridium.

37 2,971
 06-25-2013, 02:25 PM
User Info
(06-25-2013, 07:12 AM)Samjax Wrote: Actually, throw a Feather in a 2011 R41 and you'll soon discover just how tame the Joris really is.

All the best with your recovery.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Actually I love that setup, it makes for amazing shaves...I actually think feather is the best fit for that razor....

0 652
 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(06-25-2013, 06:37 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote: The Joris head is as close to a straight razor shave as you will find in a DE razor. It requires significant attention and almost no pressure to prevent accidents. IF and I say IF you master your technique with a Joris I believe that no other DE will give the same quality of shave. In my opinion much better than a slant or an adjustable with a bigger head. And, the build quality of a Joris makes it a legacy product for your children/grandchildren

In case you are serious about the story in the original post, I wish you speedy and full recovery. If, as I suspect there is a dose of comedy in there, I applaud your sense of humor.

As far as Joris being the closest thing to a straight, I respectfully disagree. I found Joris to be a touch milder than RazoRock/Cadet OC, which is by all accounts, is way milder than Muhle R41 (2011 and 2013 versions). I could also get a much better shave from a Progress set to 4 - 5 than I could with the Joris. Much more aggressive (at that setting) and way more versatile a tool.

As far as build quality in Joris, again, I must respectfully disagree based on my experience with one. For a $160 razor the fit of the head is not very good. Again, my $20 RazoRock OC wins there, especially if price/performance ratio is taken into account. As far as I understand a $30 Fatip has the identical head and only lacks the luxurious handle of Joris. So, for me Joris was a very mediocre razor with a fabulous handle and some palladium plating on an inexpensive head with spotty quality control. Not what I call a razor worth $160. I sold mine, even though my copy was not defective. Just could not justify paying so much money for a handle. For proceeds I got from the Joris sale I bought a Fatip Piccolo and 2013 Muhle R41 and still had lots of cash left over to spend on an extravagant soap I don't really need (have not received them yet). Such is the wet shaving hobby, I guess...

Best of luck in your recovery!

25 1,705
 06-26-2013, 04:59 AM
User Info
I must admit I am new to DE shaving. I have begun to experiment with a few different razors and face preps. In the past 3 months I have experimented with about 20 DE razors and about 70 shave creams, soaps, aftershaves, and preshaves. Not much experience with blades though. I have only used the feather, persona, derby, astra, superinox, croma, dorco, dovo, lord, wilkinson, kai, merkur, gillette, sharp, bic, and shark blades.

Of the DE razors I own the Pils is the best industrial quality and the Plisson (Joris) has the best craftsmanship. I bought a Plisson set from the Art of Shaving in the fall of 1996 about a month after Myrian and Eric opened their store. After 15 years of use you would be hard pressed to tell if the set had been used at all. I've owned a few Plisson products over the years and while the term "best" is for debate, there is no question that the Joris razors have a level of craftsmanship equal or greater than any manufacturer.

Although I am a noob at this I believe the quality of a shave has multiple factors including the elasticity of your skin, your ph levels, the density of your beard, the growth pattern of your beard, the hardness/softness of your water, your facial preparation, your technique, and lastly your overall health. The irony is that DE razors are simple tools and one can obtain a quality shave with just about any razor.

P.S. My original post was of a serious nature. My parents rushed me into surgery as a child for an acute humorectomy. Been a dolt ever since.

(06-23-2013, 06:25 AM)Codfish Wrote:

Maybe you should consider this setup first!Tongue

[Image: HHosp.jpg]

I thought I would try this...........

[Image: TCneydA.jpg]

0 16