06-23-2013, 01:36 PM
User Info
OK I'd read the posts of folks saying that they get a better closer shave if they skipped a day and I thought they were full of "it". Or that the face just felt smoother in contrast to the 2 day growth. It never made any sense to me that skipping a day would lead to a closer shave. It's a single blade and not a cartridge.

I pretty much shave every morning, but lately due to circumstances beyond my control I recently wound up skipping shaving for one day twice. The result? I normally get a BBS, but after skipping a day the shave feels even closer. This happened each time. Yes, I know I could be full of it, but I don't think so. I no longer think the others who reported it are either. Sorry guys, I shouldn't have doubted you.

I don't plan on making a habit of skipping a day, but I think those folks who have reported this in the past are on to something.

Comments?

32 6,308
 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I tend to agree but I find it difficult to skip that day, withdrawal symptoms and all ya know.

18 281
 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have also noticed a 'closer' shave with stubble that is 2-3 days of age as opposed to 1 day. My personal theory is that the individual hair shafts are better oriented for slicing with this extra growth ... Rolleyes

In any case, this is a rare phenomenon for me, as I can't resist the urge to shave everyday! Biggrin

102 17,661
 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
I usually don't shave on the weekends, not because it makes the Monday shaves closer - which they might be - but because it makes the Monday shave more enjoyable... might as well get a great start on the week Biggrin

3 3,554
 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Brian, skipping a day gives me an "easier" shave. My skin, which is very sensitive, has more time to recover and it seems like the extra growth just yields more easily to the blade.

- Murray

4 1,150
 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
(06-23-2013, 09:31 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Brian, skipping a day gives me an "easier" shave. My skin, which is very sensitive, has more time to recover and it seems like the extra growth just yields more easily to the blade.

- Murray

+1 I shave every second or even third day Smile

11 861
 06-24-2013, 04:45 AM
User Info
I like to skip more than 1 day..more like a week or two. Biggrin

40 5,830
 06-24-2013, 05:09 AM
User Info
I regularly skip a day and the only thing that you miss out on is a good shave. I don't think it is any closer of a shave. I just think you appreciate it more after not shaving for a day or two. Good technique is good technique and results in the same quality shave. This is all just my opinion and ymmv etc etc etc...

18 567
 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I am coming to the conclusion that I get better straight razor shaves with a couple of days worth of growth. Don't know why but I would guess that the longer beard absorbs more water than the normal stubble. Who knows? Confused

16 542
 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Wish i could shave ervyday, but i can not. My skin get acne very easily...
i have to skip 2, sometimes 3 days.
thinking of see a dermatologist, just to be able to shave more often! Biggrin

4 447
 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Mr. Krampert 1st hello Sir. I've been quite busy lately and haven't been able to spend much time here. 2nd. I have to say that a shave on a days worth or more of growth to me is ALWAYS keener than a day to day shave. Call me crazy but I am almost POSITIVE that is the case... I agree with Ravi about the longer hair cuts closer theory...

(06-23-2013, 09:31 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Brian, skipping a day gives me an "easier" shave. My skin, which is very sensitive, has more time to recover and it seems like the extra growth just yields more easily to the blade.

- Murray

(06-24-2013, 04:58 PM)Gago Wrote: Wish i could shave ervyday, but i can not. My skin get acne very easily...
i have to skip 2, sometimes 3 days.
thinking of see a dermatologist, just to be able to shave more often! Biggrin

To both of you guys I would suggest you try a SINGLE EDGE razor. It did wonders for me and a few other guys who had irritation problems. Before I switched to SE I couldn't shave every day... Now NO WORRIES...

5 1,151
 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM
User Info
I agree with the closer shave after having a bit of stubble on the face. It also keeps my face happier allowing the extra day of "recovery" time between shaves.

63 2,128
 06-25-2013, 09:56 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
(06-24-2013, 05:19 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: To both of you guys I would suggest you try a SINGLE EDGE razor. It did wonders for me and a few other guys who had irritation problems. Before I switched to SE I couldn't shave every day... Now NO WORRIES...

I tried SE shaving, but even the Featherweight and the Heavy Flattop/G-bar were too aggressive for regular use. DE for me is much smoother and easier on the skin.

I've heard others speak of SE or Injector shaves for sensitive skin because of the rigid blade, but it hasn't worked that way for me. YMMV is very much at play here.

- Murray

4 1,150
 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
User Info
(06-23-2013, 01:41 PM)Agravic Wrote: I have also noticed a 'closer' shave with stubble that is 2-3 days of age as opposed to 1 day. My personal theory is that the individual hair shafts are better oriented for slicing with this extra growth ... Rolleyes

In any case, this is a rare phenomenon for me, as I can't resist the urge to shave everyday! Biggrin

+1

75 20,883
 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have noticed a difference if I skip a day. I can't say why ... maybe longer whiskers, or my face is happier for the longer recovery.

But, I try to shave every day anyway cause I got Shaving Stuff I Gotta Use.

I got Razors, Blades, Brushes, Soaps, Creams, Sticks, After-Shaves, Balms, Alum Blocks, etc., and how can I get more Shaving Stuff if I don't use up what I got now.

1 819
 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
it's hell skipping a shave, but noticed the same closeness improvement when I have been forced to skip a day.

0 1,291
 06-27-2013, 05:16 AM
User Info
I, too, found that skipping a day or two, helps with a closer and more comfortable shave. My theory behind this is firstly my skin has more time to recuperate and secondly the longer hair shafts make it easier for a better prep (hydration, better orientation for the shave after the building lather with my brush).

2 52
 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I shave every other day, but because my hair just doesn't grow all that quickly at all. The extra day also allows my skin to heal. I will look at 2 days the way many will look with their 5 o'clock shadow.

I actually tried to grow facial hair once just because. It was ridiculous really. I'm just not meant to have facial hair. I have friends that can change their beards on a daily basis. Used to erk me, then I found traditional shaving...

14 1,177
 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM
User Info
I have always felt that skipping a day of shaving makes me feel that, when I do shave, it is so great. I think it is because I do not wear the stubble look all that well and a smooth face is welcome.

3 73
 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I skipped a couple of shaves while on a short vacation and this morning's shave was excellent, but no better than when I shave every other day. I will say that not shaving was very tough for me and by the second skipped day the scruff was really starting to bother me. I will have to come up with a good travel kit for this Summer's off-road/camping adventure because I can't go a full week without shaving as I have done in the previous years.

125 2,375