06-23-2013, 04:19 PM
User Info
So I have used a few boar brushes in the past (an Omega 11047 and a 31064), both of which I broke in nicely over time, but prior to really learning much about breaking in boars. I have heard that allowing the brush to completely dry between uses is healthier for the brush in terms of shedding and overall hair quality, but I am curious what effect it has on break-in time.

I have a new SOC Boar coming in which I am excited about, but am curious about the most effective break-in method. Lather every other day to allow for full drying? Lather every day (which is what is explained as the method for break-in on most vendor sites)? Do something absurd like 10+ palm lathers per day? I know this knot will take some time to get the hairs splitting to that pillowy-soft state, but am curious the most efficient method.

14 229
 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
Sorry explodyii, but to me it's just like a new saddle, shoes, or anything else... . Just use it. Eventually the tips will split, and she'll be broken in. Old barbers used to use the same brush every day for years.

2 546
 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you have not already done so, read this.

http://shavenook.com/thread-a-beginner-s...ving-brush

173 23,546
 06-23-2013, 04:46 PM
User Info
(06-23-2013, 04:36 PM)Johnny Wrote: If you have not already done so, read this.

http://shavenook.com/thread-a-beginner-s...ving-brush

I've read the article before and gotten a lot of good information out of it, just wanted to check in on the "every other day" method that I have seen crop up on occasion! Thanks for the refresher though!

14 229
 06-23-2013, 04:56 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I've been shaving with boar brushes for longer than you are probably old and here is what I do.

I soak the bristle in warm water (not hot) for about 10-minutes.

I then use whatever shampoo I can get my hands on and give it a good shampoo in the palm of my hand. Rinse and repeat. After that I shake it out good and let it hang, bristles down for two days.

Then I just use the brush when I see fit. Everyday, every other day, once a week, whatever.

I always soak my boars in warm water half way up the bristle for about 10-minutes before I lather them.

That's the best I can tell you.

173 23,546
 06-23-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
The SOC Boar brushes are usable right out of the box. I have two of them and used the same method on both. One test lather and then start using it. It only takes a couple of weeks until it is pretty good, and another month or three until it is where it should be.

18 568
 06-24-2013, 12:56 AM
User Info
My first was a cheap Omega that smelled like "Dead Boar" and was better suited for cleaning a BBQ grill. So you can imagine how nice it was to Use a Semogue the first time. Had I not purchased a couple of badgers in between, I most likely would not own them now.

I don't know how the others work but the Semogue OC was ready to rock straight from the box.

1 622