06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Something that I've always noticed about Simpsons and seeing how we have more than a few brand experts here I thought here's my chance to satisfy my curiousity. It has always seemed to me that Simpson brushes vary from bulb shape to fan within the same model. Am I seeing things? Or is it dependent on hair grade? Most of what I base this on are internet photos, I've only actually seen and held 3 brushes in my life so it might just be a figment of my poor eyesight. Thanks in advance.

5 2,006
 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM
User Info
The two band knots certainly look more bulb shaped than the best grade knots.

15 762
 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Most of my Manchurian brushes are hybrid in shape, but appear more bulbous when bloomed. The 2 band Super brushes I've owned have all been the more extreme bulb shape. The 3 band Super and Best brushes I've owned I would class closer to bulb than fan, but nothing like the more extreme 2 band Super. I don't class any Simpson knot I've owned as a true fan, IMO they are hybrid, with the exception of 2 band Super than are most definitely bulb shaped.

91 17,798
 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
All of the Simpsons I've owned in Best have been a hybrid shape, with the exception of my Emperor 1 which is slightly more bulb-shaped than the others.

Most of the 2-band and Manchurian's I've used have tended to be bulb-shaped (although there have been a couple of exceptions).

I currently only own one Simpsons 2-band (an Emperor 3) and whilst it is bulb shaped, it bowl lathers better than many other 2 and 3-band brushes I own (it can be seen in action this thread where I've compared with an uber-floppy EJ brush I own: http://shavenook.com/thread-crabtree-eve...per-badger ).

It does lead me to wonder how important the shape of the knot actually is and whether other characteristics such as backbone and flow-through are actually more important in determining how well a brush will work for either bowl or face lathering.

32 638
 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-24-2013, 04:00 PM)ajc347 Wrote: It does lead me to wonder how important the shape of the knot actually is and whether other characteristics such as backbone and flow-through are actually more important in determining how well a brush will work for either bowl or face lathering.

The extreme bulb shaped knots I've encounter from other manufacturers tend to exhibit a glue bump often making them more rigid.

Bulb generally feels more concentrated on the face, while a similar sized fan will have a much bigger feel on the face. The extreme bulbs are often quite dense and hence often exhibit greater backbone and less flow through (but Shavemac for example, offer some extreme fans with extreme backbone).

So backbone and flow through are still more aligned with hair grade and weight of knot as opposed to shape. Shape mostly effects IMO presentation to the face in terms of size and concentration. The fan generally provides a bigger feel with greater splay. Users often comment that a fan is more comfortable than bulb when employing a circular motion. Both shapes can be used for the (manufacturer) recommended paint brush strokes, but bulb can feel less comfortable with circular motions (especially when there is a pronounced glue bump, which I'm guessing is often required to support the shape).

I mostly face lather (and use a variety of brushes for that purpose). If I do choose to bowl lather my strongest influence on brush choice is actually handle as opposed to knot. Generally a longer handle with less girth in an effort to avoid it clanking around the internal environs of the bowl/mug/scuttle...

91 17,798
 06-24-2013, 07:36 PM
User Info
My experience:

Manchurian tend to be fan or hybrid shaped - IMO because if they were bulb the stiffness of even the new gentler Manchurians would still feel too pointy

2-Band tend to be extreme bulbs because they have very soft tips, with nice backbone. A fan shaped 2-Band might splay a bit too much and not provide the same solid feel on the face

Best tend to be hybrid shaped - the classic Simpson in between a bulb and a fan. Just perfect for the new softer, yet still solid, 3-Band Best hair from Simpson.

3-Band Super Silvertip tend to also be hybrid shaped, thus they will splay mre than their Best haired brothers Tongue

Your Opinion May Very Well Vary Smile

22 5,044
 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM
User Info
+1 with Claus

7 1,179
 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
Claus mirrors the experience I have with my Simpson collection.

0 534