06-24-2013, 02:06 PM
User Info
Moderators: I wanted to have this sub-forum evaluate this product. Presently it is not for sale so my hope is this is not deemed commercial. If it is considered commercial then by all means move this to Vendor Items for Sale, not a problem.

I have found a local potter who has made this. I have been using it for the past week and like it. The other scuttle that I have is a DB but this is smaller all 'round and to my eye more refined. It measures 5" wide and 3" high with an interior depth of 1 1/2". The Gillette Slim is there for scale.

I have found this past week that it keeps the lather plenty warm for three passes. Retail on it is around $50.00. First though, I wanted to see what the community has to say about it.

[Image: xQlXKwBl.jpg]

[Image: YNWUcI2l.jpg]

[Image: h2h0JEAl.jpg]

6 323
 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I will say it's pretty and the price seems to fall inline with others. I'm pretty sure that $50.00 does not include shipping.

173 23,533
 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
I'd like to know how much water it holds?

lather ridges do not look defined enough and should go up the sides for ease of lathering.

water opening looks nice, but should be level on the inside, it looks like it dips below the top of the scuttle.

I like a depth of 2" or so on my scuttle.

8 2,718
 06-24-2013, 07:20 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This is a beautiful scuttle. I really like the color and the glaze is outstanding. Without actually using it I can't rate it's effectiveness. However, I take your word that it performs very nicely. It certainly seems to have enough space to create a lot of lather. Finally the price is right in the ballpark. Whoever the potter was they did a heck of a nice job. Congratulations.

100 12,442
 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
.........looks very nice.........

..............i love scuttles........

39 1,054
 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I have to agree on the ridges needing more work. Also, I don't know if it's just a trick of the lighting but it looks a bit warped or uneven in a spot or two. Anyway, as is... $50 seems a bit steep to me.

31 1,510
 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
User Info
Nice lookin scuttle. IMHO the spout is a little low to the rim. However, it does provide the capability to tip it back to get a little more warm water in to the latherLightbulb.

Lemonade from lemons???? Sure.

Ed

19 697
 07-07-2013, 05:50 PM
  • evnpar
  • Super Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very masculine--too many scuttles look like dinnerware.

34 4,527
 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Aesthetics are great, but…. Through experience I have found that if you are going to make lather in the scuttle, the bowl needs to be minimum 3 inches at the opening and minimum 2 inches deep (I would like 2.5"). I have a DB travel scuttle that is of similar dimensions to yours and it is really only good as a brush scuttle. I think the design you have falls into that category. I also have a G20 and it is just big enough to comfortably lather in (4" x "2.5).

16 545
 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM
User Info
They all seem to have their positives and negatives. If this one is a comfortable and useful size and shape for your preferences, then it's a great scuttle. The price would be about right if shipping is included.

24 1,151
 07-10-2013, 07:21 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Great Comments.

It looks great. But I agree with the low spout comment, depth, and lather ridges.

Price is a little high.

1 819
 07-10-2013, 07:56 PM
User Info
I think it lacks character. There are several scuttle makers and most have some type of niche in the market--either by offering different designs or customizations. What does this one bring that's different? Especially at the price point.

0 41
 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
(06-24-2013, 02:06 PM)Captain Capsize Wrote: Moderators: I wanted to have this sub-forum evaluate this product. Presently it is not for sale so my hope is this is not deemed commercial. If it is considered commercial then by all means move this to Vendor Items for Sale, not a problem.

I have found a local potter who has made this. I have been using it for the past week and like it. The other scuttle that I have is a DB but this is smaller all 'round and to my eye more refined. It measures 5" wide and 3" high with an interior depth of 1 1/2". The Gillette Slim is there for scale.

I have found this past week that it keeps the lather plenty warm for three passes. Retail on it is around $50.00. First though, I wanted to see what the community has to say about it.

I find scuttles are inherently ugly with that gruesome protrusion one usually finds opposite the handle.

Your is beautiful.

I also find that metal scuttles do not retain the heat very well. Rather, they conduct it away.

Ceramics are far far, better heat retainers.

Congratulations.

0 48
 08-17-2013, 12:56 PM
User Info
Wow, I really like it! I do not use a scuttle. I have a hard time justifying that purchase. Truth be told I use a Chinese food take out dish/ bowl. It's heavy duty plastic and plenty big enough as well as ribbed on the inside.
I'm not afraid to spend a few sheckles, I have plenty of de's, straights, a Kamisori and enough soap and a/s to last me for years on end. It is just virtually unjustifiable.....
However I would consider this one!

2 72
 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM
User Info
I would like to comment on the ridges.

Parallel circular ridges that go around the bowl do help create lather.

However, I believe that ridges that radiate out from the centre up to near the top of the bowl like a sunburst would be far more effective. The bristles being forced to hop over each ridge would capture more air than those that merely follow the ridges around without any agitation.

Mickey

0 48
 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM
User Info
Would they make other offerings i.e. bowls,soap dish? I like to use a bowl with a pedestal on the bottom to hold. The finish is stunning.

37 145
 08-24-2013, 05:54 AM
  • goaman
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
Its a nice scuttle, but i think the price is a little high.

2 152
 08-27-2013, 06:24 AM
User Info
Opinion: Its a nice unit and it should be mine.

1 622
 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM
User Info
Thanks guys for the feedback, it helps us when we can ascertain interest ahead of time. Your input helps more than you would imagine.

Keep your eyes peeled for a forthcoming announcement on the Vendor News sub-forum...

6 323
 08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
User Info
(06-24-2013, 02:06 PM)Captain Capsize Wrote: Moderators: I wanted to have this sub-forum evaluate this product. Presently it is not for sale so my hope is this is not deemed commercial. If it is considered commercial then by all means move this to Vendor Items for Sale, not a problem.

I think that most traditional scuttles are very ugly. They look like miniature
urinals.
Once in a while one comes along that breaks the old mould.
Yours is beautiful, indeed.
Your potter is a ceramic artist.

Mickey

Mickey

0 48