06-25-2013, 02:35 AM
User Info
hi all, first time poster! I am new to the traditional wet shaving game but so far enjoying it a few nicks along the way!! what I was wondering is what would be your favourite scents for a shave cream? I have been using a cheap cream so far with not the most pleasant smell!

I know that scents are of a personal choice and there are hundreds out there but am just looking for some inspiration before I go and get a new one! cheers
(and any suggestions with awesome scents and creamy lather would be welcomed)

0 1
 06-25-2013, 04:17 AM
User Info
Expensive? T&H Trafalgar
Inexpensive? Any Proraso (I prefer the red and blue scents)

97 615
 06-25-2013, 04:35 AM
User Info
Two questions for you: what is the price range for "cheap"? And what is the cream you have been using but not enjoying?

For me the most nostalgic "cheap" cream is Proraso (around $11). Its what I used when I first got into "this thing of ours." And although I'm exclusively a soap user, I still keep a tube of it around.

Another great "cheap" cream is Musgo Real (around $11-$15). When I first started, Proraso and Musgo Real were in everyone's rotation. It has lanolin and a "fresh cut grass" scent (for me, the defining smell of summer). Its a fougere, but in a more earthy "english fern" style than the brighter, lemon verbena-esque notes of Green Irish Tweed and the Martin de Candre fougere (both definitely not cheap products).

I think a great mid-range (pricewise) range is Taylor of Old Bond St. (TOBS). They can be had in tubes ($12) or tubs ($16). TOBS Avocado was my next "step up" and I loved it. The Avocado scent, for me, is more of a melon/cucumber scent and not like slathering guacamole on your face. But they also have tons of scents, from single-notes, like Rose, Lavender (and don't be afraid of flowery scents - they are great), Lemon/Lime (which I personally don't prefer), Sandalwood, Almond, Coconut, and Grapefruit, to more complex scents like Eton College, Shaving Soap, Mr. Taylor, etc.

I would strongly recommend contacting member tgutc who sells samples of lots of these creams. Getting samples is a great way to (duh) sample lots of different creams without committing a lot of money.

Also, and this is another obvious suggestion - look around! Search out reviews and on-line vendors, check stuff out. Just like I'm nostalgic for Proraso, I'm nostalgic for those early days of discovery, trying all sorts of new products. Good luck!

72 1,405
 06-25-2013, 04:47 AM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
If you are experimenting with great scents I would highly recommend trying DR Harris Windsor (smells like Terre D' Hermes EDC to me) and also TOBS Grapefruit (I don't have to tell you what that one smells like). Manny others out there also.

18 281
 06-25-2013, 05:38 AM
User Info
TOBS Jermyn St is one of my favorite scents.

I also like Musgo Real, the original and oakmoss scents. I haven't tried any of the other varieties in this line.

10 2,062
 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
Great smelling and performing almond scent is Boellis Panama 1924. It is sold as a soap but is soft and performs like a cream in that it produces a rich protective, smooth shaving lather with very little effort using almost any brush.

0 534
 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
User Info
What sort of scents do you like in other products or areas? That would help you know what to try next. For example, there are food scents like lemon, lime and almond. There are cologne type scents (and many categories of those). There are floral scents, like rose, lavender and violet. There are herbal/essential oil scents like rosemary, eucalyptus and sandalwood.

When I first got into wetshaving a decade or so ago, I asked a vendor to help me choose among the overwhelming assortment. He recommended a few (rose, lime and Proraso, which was eucalyptus/menthol), but gave me this advice: "Choose a scent that lifts your spirits."

7 138
 06-25-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
Welcome to the forum!

There are so many. All of the following are great performers.

Some that can be found locally by many of us, and they won't break the bank:

Bigelow (menthol)
Kiss My Face (many scents)

And some not mentioned yet:

Spieck (sort of herbal)
MEM (citrus/lime)
Proraso Red (strong sandalwood)
Musgo Real (many scents)

There are also croaps which are either a thick cream or thin soap. Hence croap. Are you open to those?

32 6,301
 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook!
If you want some great soaps with wonderful scents, you have to try Mike's Natural and Mystic Water! Biggrin

74 20,787
 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Nook!

Let's see inexpensive soaps or creams? First off, I would suggest staying away from cold poured Glycerin based soaps as many have issues getting good lathers out of them. I lather them fine, but many report issues.

So here's my thoughts:

Musgo Real (I like the classic / original as well as the lavender scented)

Mike's Natural (it's a soap not a cream). Very good bang for the buck

I have Mystic Water (Soap) incoming so cannot comment on it yet, but many seem to really like it. Same goes for Ginger's Garden (they have several items including soft soap like Cella / P.160 type as well as a firm cream like Castle Forbes. I chose the cream)

Finally depending on what you consider to be inexpensive I highly recommend "I Coloniali" Shave cream soap as your "inexpensive luxury" soap. A puck with the terra cotta bowl is $38, but refill pucks are $18 if I recall. With my rotation I into my second year on the original puck.

129 6,685