06-25-2013, 05:15 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks for winning the Stanley Cub in incredible fashion by defeating the Boston Bruins in six games. Leading the series 3 games to 2 and playing game 6 at Boston the Blackhawks came back trailing the game 2-1 with just 2 minutes left in the 3rd and possibly final period of the game to score 2 goals in 17 seconds to take a 3-2 lead and go on to win.

100 12,437
 06-25-2013, 05:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I know the Boston fans were not happy. I think everyone thought the Bruins would win this handedly.

173 23,486
 06-25-2013, 05:24 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(06-25-2013, 05:23 AM)Johnny Wrote: I know the Boston fans were not happy. I think everyone thought the Bruins would win this handedly.

You mean the Blackhawks would play deadLightbulb

100 12,437
 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM
User Info
(06-25-2013, 05:23 AM)Johnny Wrote: I know the Boston fans were not happy. I think everyone thought the Bruins would win this handedly.

As a Bruins die-hard, I didn't think so. The Hawks were the better team, both during the season and post-season. They had deeper, better talent, and made great adjustments (putting Toews and Kane back together really made Chara and Seidenberg look like they were skating in cement).

The way it ended sucked, no doubt, but if I didn't watch it at all, and just woke up and heard the final score, I would not have been even remotely shocked.

Chicago was better, in all phases. More skilled, deeper, healthier (wouldn't be surprised to learn that Chara goes under the knife this summer and Bergeron played with broken ribs and a separated shoulder), and even better goaltending (Rask looked much less superhuman in the last three games).

Its all a matter of perspective - as soon as Toronto scored to make it 4-1 about a month ago, if you told me that the Bruins would make it to game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals, I would have thought you were talking about 2014. But I will always remember this team, from the comeback to wiping out the annoying New York Tortorellas, to decimating Pittsburgh, to Campbell killing a penalty with a broken leg, to playing in a finals for the ages. I never hated Chicago like I hated Vancouver (for one thing I'll always appreciate this) and so if there should be a team to beat my beloved Bruins, it should be the best team in hockey.

72 1,407
 06-25-2013, 05:45 AM
User Info
Great series, I couldn't have asked for more in the end

2 44
 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM
User Info
As a Chicagoan I am thrilled. As a sports fan I admire the Bruins and their fans for being truly great and classy!

0 295
 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM
User Info
Jpakstis says it all with great eloquence.

The 2013 Bruins were a team that had a lot more heart than talent. They went a lot further than they should have, and that's why this will be a team that goes down in history as a great team.

I want to repost Jpakstis's link to the front page of the Chicago Tribune's sports page. http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acro...072150.pdf

A truly class move from the paper that is much appreciated.

3 452
 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Blackhawks rock. They are a team of destiny. Great coaching and great players.

1 3,507
 06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
User Info
Newcastle University used to have an Ice Hockey team called The Beavers,after a particularly heavy defeat 7-0, the local paper ran the following headline "sloppy Beavers let in 7".
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM
User Info
I was born and raised in Chicago. The Hawks under Bill Wirtz were about as dysfunctional as any team can be. He was cheap. He would not allow home games to be televised and then wondered why no one was interested in the team. After Rocky Wirtz took over he made sweeping changes to the organization. Immediately home games (even non sold out ones) became televised. More people started showing up at the UC to watch the games. He spent money to get a great coach, front office, and incredible players. While everyone is throwing platitudes around congratulating Coach Q, Stan Bowman (yes it is true he was named for the Stanley Cup, his father won more as a coach than any other coach), or anyone else, I just want people to remember Rocky's part as it is he who started this winning trend.

As for Boston, they were by far the toughest team the Hawks faced. Fierce competitors who should also be congratulated. However when the tying goal was scored at the 77 seconds to go mark the body language of the Bruins players changed from a "we've got this" to a "oh crap" in the blink of an eye. I thought the Hawks would pull it out in OT again, but just 17 seconds later they made sure no OT would be needed.

Incredible series!

129 6,685