06-25-2013, 06:44 AM
User Info
I have brushes from Simpson including a Chubby 2. I love the Chubby 2 but the brush handle is just plain ugly. Is there another manufacturer that has the density and backbone of this brush?

I prefer a very dense large brush with a firm backbone and a little scritch.

Thanks

0 16
 06-25-2013, 06:56 AM
User Info
Plain ugly?

I can understand that in a bizarre way. It is a very simple design but a design that has probably been replicated more than any other brush down the years.

It's an icon, it might be an ugly duckling icon (to some ... not to me), but that's what it is.

Shavemac, Rooney, Muhle, M&F all offer good quality very dense brushes to rival the Chubby series.

Mark

1 630
 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Lightning is getting ready to strike someone. Biggrin

173 23,554
 06-25-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
(06-25-2013, 06:56 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Plain ugly?

I can understand that in a bizarre way. It is a very simple design but a design that has probably been replicated more than any other brush down the years.

It's an icon, it might be an ugly duckling icon (to some ... not to me), but that's what it is.

Shavemac, Rooney, Muhle, M&F all offer good quality very dense brushes to rival the Chubby series.

Mark

I have experience with Shavemac's, Plisson, and Muhle. While all very good brushes non have the density of the chubby.

0 16
 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm a little perplexed as well ... the Chubby 2 handle shape in my view is the benchmark or standard, which has been emulated by many other fine brushmakers. If anything, I would characterize it as being 'non-offensive' or 'neutral', but I don't find it to be 'ugly' ... there are many examples of 'ugly' out there in terms of disproportionate shapes, sizes, and materials, but the Chubby 2 is not one of them.

102 17,671
 06-25-2013, 07:07 AM
User Info
Chubby 2 ugly?! First time I've heard that.

But YMMV and all that!

Other options if you want to stay Simpson is Polo 10.

Or alternatively a Rooney 2XL or the M&F equivalent.

7 1,179
 06-25-2013, 07:14 AM
User Info
Angel
(06-25-2013, 06:59 AM)Johnny Wrote: Lightning is getting ready to strike someone. Biggrin

31 1,558
 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM
User Info
There's a lot of shavers around who would gladly take that ugly brush off your hands for you! The Shavemac D01 knots are dense with plenty of backbone.

15 762
 06-25-2013, 08:20 AM
User Info
I do not like the defensive response from a Simpson representative....vendors do not provide objective help.

(06-25-2013, 07:40 AM)guildx500 Wrote: There's a lot of shavers around who would gladly take that ugly brush off your hands for you! The Shavemac D01 knots are dense with plenty of backbone.

I gave a personalized Shavemac D01 to my son as a birthday present. Wonderful hair but the density and backbone is not the same as the chubby.

0 16
 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I took no offense from the vendor's response in this case.

The vendor merely acknowledged the OP, and offered alternative options.

Seems fairly objective to me ... Huh

I might add, the OP comment/question was rather strange to begin with, and I'm not sure what type of answer is expected anyways?

102 17,671
 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
(06-25-2013, 08:20 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote: I do not like the defensive response from a Simpson representative....vendors do not provide objective help.

The response from Mark didn't seem to be defensive to me either and it was completely objective in giving you options of other manufacturers who make brushes with similar densities to a Chubby 2.

I've owned a D01 brush that has been as dense and, as Mark and others say above, other manufacturers offer brushes with equally dense knots.

I was conversing with a person on another forum who us selling a Da Vinci Uomo brush and he reckons that it is denser than the Chubby 2 he owns. Please feel free to PM me if you want a link to his sale thread.

32 638
 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet, but what handle shape do you find appealing?

I have heard of Simpsons doing custom brushes and I am sure you could get a Chubby 2ish knot in a different handle. Or there are other vendors who also do custom knots (M&F) and can probably provide the density you are looking for.

-CZ

1 57
 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
... but Mr. Wonderful, you have posted on a shaving forum that, arguably the most famous shaving brush in the world ... is plain ugly.

I appreciate & respect your viewpoint, furthermore I have recommended other high quality brush manufacturers that could produce something similar or more to your liking.

I find your response slightly odd.

Why has an additional sentance to my original post been added in this quote?

Certainly bizarre ...

Not my words ...

Shenanigans? Tomfoolery? Paranormal activity? ...

(06-25-2013, 07:01 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote:

I have experience with Shavemac's, Plisson, and Muhle. While all very good brushes non have the density of the chubby.

Mark

1 630
 06-25-2013, 09:21 AM
User Info
(06-25-2013, 08:20 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote: I do not like the defensive response from a Simpson representative....vendors do not provide objective help.

Wow...the response from the Simpson Representative was a gracious and kind response that one would expect from a gentleman.

He even offered suggestions for other brushes outside his brand that provided a very objective and helpful suggestions.

I would agree with those recommendations from Mark @ Simpsons.

Best of luck finding a handle you like. Let us know what you end up going with.

14 276
 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info

(06-25-2013, 07:40 AM)guildx500 Wrote: There's a lot of shavers around who would gladly take that ugly brush off your hands for you! The Shavemac D01 knots are dense with plenty of backbone.

I gave a personalized Shavemac D01 to my son as a birthday present. Wonderful hair but the density and backbone is not the same as the chubby.

(06-25-2013, 08:57 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: ... but Mr. Wonderful, you have posted on a shaving forum that, arguably the most famous shaving brush in the world ... is plain ugly.

I appreciate & respect your viewpoint, furthermore I have recommended other high quality brush manufacturers that could produce something similar or more to your liking.

I find your response slightly odd.

Why has an additional sentance to my original post been added in this quote?

Certainly bizarre ...

Not my words ...

Shenanigans? Tomfoolery? Paranormal activity? ...

(06-25-2013, 07:01 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote:

Mark

This entire thread is strange to say the least Huh

As I indicated in my earlier posts, the OP was odd to begin with.

As for the 'extra line', Mark, I suspect this line was meant to be the response to your post, but was placed within the quotes of your comment, hence appearing as if these were also your words.

We did just have a super full moon a couple of days ago ... Biggrin

102 17,671
 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
All I can say after reading the OP and the subsequent posts is Huh
For the record the Chubby 2 is my favorite brush style from the Simpson range...and I own quite a few of them...Perfect balance and density IMO...I have them in 3 different hair grades and love the simplicity of the handle....but as they always say YMMV.

45 708
 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
How about a really ugly brush ?

[Image: 3304si0.jpg]

18 281
 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I have 7 Chubby 2 Somerset and Isle of Man Simpsons and find them to be wonderful handles, just about perfect along with it's slightly smaller cousins the Rooney/M&F XL series. Beauty to my eyes.

42 1,041
 06-25-2013, 09:46 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
There is no point commenting why somebody thing this brush is ugly as it is always his personal opinion and we should be more open as we are in shaving society, where almost everything depends on YMMV, skin type and personal taste.

While I like Chubby, others might not. Remember many people thing I am crazy and make fun of me as I am a wet shaver and what a "normal " would shave with SE/DE? having that superb Fusion ProGlide Exclamation

Biggrin

Focus and Mr.Wonderful please tell us more explicit what type of handle you would like. Maybe M7?

11 861
 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(06-25-2013, 09:38 AM)daccpa Wrote: How about a really ugly brush ?

[Image: 3304si0.jpg]

Holy crap ... now that's undeniably 'ugly'! Scared

102 17,671