06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Do shaving products such as soap, splashes, balm, have unlimited shelf life or do they have one? Wondering about this with older products in my den.

1 3,507
 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Balms maybe. Soaps and splashes as you can see even vintage perform well, thou they can loose some scent.

For example my Pen's EdT have no shelf life but a sample of same EdT have weirdly 6 months after being open

11 861
 06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
User Info
As Jack wrote hard soaps age and the scent diminishes, it's said that croaps can change color, and I know soaps can. That doesn't hurt them that I've ever experienced or heard. Can't help with the rest.

As a general rule of thumb, keep containers closed up, in the dark, and cool for best shelf life. I don't do that for hard soaps, but I do for my croaps in storage. They're in the beer/bbq refrigerator in the shop. My shave cabinet has opaque doors, so everything inside is automatically in the dark.

32 6,309
 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(06-25-2013, 11:33 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: As Jack wrote hard soaps age and the scent diminishes, it's said that croaps can change color, and I know soaps can. That doesn't hurt them that I've ever experienced or heard. Can't help with the rest.

As a general rule of thumb, keep containers closed up, in the dark, and cool for best shelf life. I don't do that for hard soaps, but I do for my croaps in storage. They're in the beer/bbq refrigerator in the shop. My shave cabinet has opaque doors, so everything inside is automatically in the dark.

Gotta visit Brians shop... Got any BACON in that fridge...

5 1,151
 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I think that

Soaps - will dry out a little and loose some scent.

Shave Cream and Croaps - I think that they may have a shelf life and will separate or dry out. I have not had that happen yet but, when it does it will go straight into a shaving mug and become a soap.

Splashes or After-Shaves - may separate but, should be OK as long as they are in the dark.

Balm - I think that Balm will end up having the same problems as a Shave Cream but, I probably won't put it into a shaving mug.

And I think the General Rule of Thumb - closed up, in the dark and cool would work the best.

I wonder how "cool" it has to be?

Sometimes during the summer my house can up to 90 degrees and that may be a little too hot.

1 819
 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM
User Info
(06-26-2013, 04:32 PM)Grumpy Wrote: I think that

Soaps - will dry out a little and loose some scent.

Shave Cream and Croaps - I think that they may have a shelf life and will separate or dry out. I have not had that happen yet but, when it does it will go straight into a shaving mug and become a soap.

Splashes or After-Shaves - may separate but, should be OK as long as they are in the dark.

Balm - I think that Balm will end up having the same problems as a Shave Cream but, I probably won't put it into a shaving mug.

And I think the General Rule of Thumb - closed up, in the dark and cool would work the best.

I wonder how "cool" it has to be?

Sometimes during the summer my house can up to 90 degrees and that may be a little too hot.

Only issue I've ever had was my Trumpers creams getting a tiny bit dry. Had to give one a stir with a few drops of water once. Soaps are great, I bought some cosmetic containers in the correct dimensions with screw on lids. The worst is my Castle Forbes Lime. Its my newest pot of cream and its getting lumpy. So I just toss a lump in a mug since I can't work it up on my face. Never had any issues with my AS gear.

1 622