06-25-2013, 06:44 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Greetings-

In my seemingly never ending journey to try new products, i ordered some Tabula Rasa directly from Xenia in Berlin.

It arrived today. Not bad for having placed the order on the 17th.

There are two tubs, Patchouli and Dark Lavender.

I followed the instructions that Teiste gave in his video and added about 15 drops of water and stirred to change the consistency. Its still a very soft soap.

Tomorrow shave will tell how it performs.

If anyone has additional tips to offer, please share.

More later,

MaxP

[Image: 4fmh.jpg]

47 1,377
 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Enjoy, Tabula Rasa is fantastic!

I love the Dark Lavender and would be keen on your thoughts in regards to the Patchouli as I am yet to acquire that scent...

91 17,795
 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Congrats on your purchase of Tabula Rasa...I have the Patchouli, Tangerine Vetiver and Olibanum. All outstanding performers, wonderful scents but I would have to say Patchouli is my fave. The scent is a straightforward patchouli, earthy, spicy, incense type of scent. Definitely puts you in a relaxed state of mind when you lather it up....in my humble opinion of course Biggrin.

45 708
 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the new soaps!

75 20,883
 06-25-2013, 11:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-25-2013, 07:21 PM)GMofmiami Wrote: Congrats on your purchase of Tabula Rasa...I have the Patchouli, Tangerine Vetiver and Olibanum. All outstanding performers, wonderful scents but I would have to say Patchouli is my fave. The scent is a straightforward patchouli, earthy, spicy, incense type of scent. Definitely puts you in a relaxed state of mind when you lather it up....in my humble opinion of course Biggrin.

Greg, the Patchouli sounds awesome!

91 17,795
 06-26-2013, 05:07 AM
User Info
Congratulations:

I use this stuff and it is quite good. Can you give me the contact info for ordering directly from Germany?

0 16
 06-26-2013, 06:17 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(06-26-2013, 05:07 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote: Congratulations:

I use this stuff and it is quite good. Can you give me the contact info for ordering directly from Germany?

If you send me a PM or email, I'll be happy to give that to you. I don't feel it wise to publish email addresses in the open.

47 1,377
 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
(06-25-2013, 11:21 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(06-25-2013, 07:21 PM)GMofmiami Wrote: Congrats on your purchase of Tabula Rasa...I have the Patchouli, Tangerine Vetiver and Olibanum. All outstanding performers, wonderful scents but I would have to say Patchouli is my fave. The scent is a straightforward patchouli, earthy, spicy, incense type of scent. Definitely puts you in a relaxed state of mind when you lather it up....in my humble opinion of course Biggrin.

Greg, the Patchouli sounds awesome!

I highly recommend it Ben....I'm quite certain you'd like it.

(06-26-2013, 06:17 AM)MaxP Wrote:
(06-26-2013, 05:07 AM)Mr. Wonderful Wrote: Congratulations:

I you send me a PM or email, I'll be happy to give that to you. I don't feel it wise to publish email addresses in the open.

As info gents, Lees Razors is the exclusive U.S. Distributor of TR and has just about all of the available scents. He is a great vendor and is a member of the Nook as well.

45 708
 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(06-26-2013, 06:51 AM)GMofmiami Wrote: As info gents, Lees Razors is the exclusive U.S. Distributor of TR and has just about all of the available scents. He is a great vendor and is a member of the Nook as well.

Thanks. I don't know how I missed him.

Pics and impressions to follow.

47 1,377
 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My technique for lathering Tabula Rasa is to scoop about a half teaspoon or so of the cream into my hand, mix it with a couple drops of water to thin it out just a tad, pick all of this up on the tips of my brush, then build the lather on my face. I usually end up adding a little more water to my brush while building the lather. My goal with adding water to it in my hand is to thin it out enough to pick up on the brush without any of the product clumping. Teiste accomplishes this in his video by adding water to the entire tub of shaving cream. I like to keep the tub unaltered.

Another thing about Tabula Rasa - when you buy it straight from Xenia, it arrives more freshly prepared. The cream is "taller" in the tub because of air whipped into it. With time, the cream settles a bit and becomes a little thicker or more dense. In my experience, this has no effect on its performance.

43 1,690
 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Truly it is whipped "to the brim." Both jars.

My goal in following Teiste's method was to avoid ANY palm or hand contact and load the brush straight from the jar.

47 1,377
 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Ordered 1 tangerine TR from my good friend Gil in Portugal.. can't wait to use it! Biggrin

4 447
 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(06-26-2013, 10:32 AM)MaxP Wrote: Truly it is whipped "to the brim." Both jars.

My goal in following Teiste's method was to avoid ANY palm or hand contact and load the brush straight from the jar.

That's definitely the reason to go with Teiste's method. I'm a little obsessive and like to scoop out a specific amount of cream rather than dip my brush into the tub. Lots of ways to skin this cat for sure.

43 1,690
 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM
User Info
I love Tabula Rasa, the performance is top notch. SadlyI ordered a scent I hated and ended up selling it. However I just ordered the unscented and will add some Blood Orange EO to the mix Biggrin

3 92
 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM
User Info
I still haven't tried the tabula rasa I have.

Max, you may want to edit your photo as your entire address is clear as day...

40 5,830
 06-26-2013, 01:05 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(06-26-2013, 12:37 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: Max, you may want to edit your photo as your entire address is clear as day...

Thank You. If anyone captured my address, feel free to send me two band brushes (Simpson, M&F, Shavemac preferred) Wink

47 1,377
 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Here's a shot from this morning's shave.

After giving this tub of Dark Lavender about 15 drops of water and a pretty agressive stirring per Teiste's video, the result is a cream of typical consistency. It does not approach the thickness of a croap. Its a cream.

The lather was thick and bountiful. Very good glide and cushion. Not as excellent as MdC, but still very good.

It's clear that this product is made with high quality ingredients. There's just something about the feel of it that evokes quality.

The aftershave face feel is excellent. Probably in the top 5 of all the many products I've used.

Looking at the ingredients, there's something called argan oil. I'd not heard of it. A Google search was enlightening.

So the summary after one shave: Seems to be a great product. I'll be using it for the next 5 or 6 days to develop further impressions.

[Image: 7h46.jpg]

47 1,377
 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think it's the Argan oil that is the "secret ingredient" that gives TR its excellent skin care. RazoRock Moroccan Secret has it, too.

43 1,690
 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
Max, what's the brush in your photo above? Looks like a 57 (two-band Douglas perhaps?). Very striking from that angle IMO.

BTW, Tabula Rasa is a great cream, but IIRC has shea butter, yes? I think this was the ingredient that gave me some problems, or I'd have been using Dark Lavender non-stop for years. Maybe I recall incorrectly, as it's been a while since the test run I gave it. Great lather, great skin care, but some itching and burning. I had the same issue with some French soaps...sigh...so it goes.

06-26-2013, 07:06 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
@Tim.

Great eye. It IS a 57 "Douglas" (two band). Its one of my favorite brushes.

Here's the list of ingredients. I don't see shea butter.

[Image: uve9.jpg]

47 1,377