04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
User Info
How about an investing tab or discussion. To disable any sales people you must have 50 posts to participate in that tab or room.

5 273
 04-13-2012, 04:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Are you refering to investing like, IRA's, 401K, stocks and bonds, etc.?

173 23,500
 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM
User Info
yeah...huh?!

why would we have an investing tab on a shaving forum?

40 5,830
 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM
User Info
I think it goes along with the finer things in life. Also a way of keeping things fresh. How many times can we talk about proraso.

5 273
 04-14-2012, 07:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I don't know about a sticky or a special place to put it, but if you want to start a thread in the Parlor Section I see no problem with it. Those who want to discuss it will chime in.

173 23,500
 04-14-2012, 08:13 AM
User Info
(04-14-2012, 05:11 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: How many times can we talk about proraso.

Blasphemy! Smile

1 94
 04-14-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
(04-14-2012, 05:11 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: I think it goes along with the finer things in life. Also a way of keeping things fresh. How many times can we talk about proraso.

the problem with that is that it detracts from the actual purpose of the forum itself. stuff like investment discussions can be had in the lounge section.

40 5,830
 04-14-2012, 09:48 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
All of my money is tied up in shaving supply futures. Huh

45 16,298
 04-14-2012, 10:08 AM
User Info
We talk about cigars, pens, coffee, food and cooking at least on other forums...why not the stock market in an investing tab. You'd be the first to do it or at least try it.

Where do you think gold will go,,Donld Trump said this...Amazon stock does...After a while people will leave the board if they get bored.

You can always delete it and besides, we all may learn from others.

5 273
 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
To me, this is exactly what "The Parlor" was set up for so what's the problem with using it?

2 11,211
 04-14-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
Nothing I guess, It just does not open the door for that type of thought or posting.

When a tab is too general like that it does not bring people who are interested in a topic be sports etc into the conversation. Just my opinion.

5 273
 04-14-2012, 10:50 AM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I have invested my life savings in Bullgoose stuff.

18 281
 04-14-2012, 11:04 AM
User Info
Good for Bullgoose, you on the other hand my be working longer than you expected.Tongue

Just an idea..no need to argue about it.

5 273
 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
User Info
(04-14-2012, 10:08 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: We talk about cigars, pens, coffee, food and cooking at least on other forums...why not the stock market in an investing tab. You'd be the first to do it or at least try it.

Where do you think gold will go,,Donld Trump said this...Amazon stock does...After a while people will leave the board if they get bored.

You can always delete it and besides, we all may learn from others.

Not only does your idea have merit, this is what media companies sometimes do when they own a number of different websites. Each website will have links to other sites owned by the same company, even if they are about only somewhat related subjects or interests. For example, Time Warner owns CNN, as well as Money and Fortune magazines. Although the CNN website is for general news coverage, it also has a tab linking to the Money/Fortune financial magazine website.

Some interests, such as hobbies, are very specialized nowadays. Look at any of the Source Interlink Companies or Conde Nast websites. They typically do not have connections between their different sites. For example, many photography enthusiasts, perhaps the great majority, lack a shared interest in skateboarding and Chevy Corvettes. Some people probably do share these interests, but adding tabs for these additional hobbies would only clutter up and unfocus the photography website for most readers. That is what has happened on certain wetshaving forums. At least it seems that way to me.

A quick and easy solution is to create your own tabs. Save the links to special interest sites you would like aggregated to your browser's Bookmarks Toolbar. The Shave Nook, The Shave Den, Wall Street Journal, Kiplinger and Forbes. Maybe this will work just as well?

0 303
 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
Right now we are (or the site owners) are attracting people from other shave forums which is not hard. Like water it will find it's own level and hold at that.

How do we attract new members, or keep lurkers interested.

Believe it or not, not everyone wants to talk about shaving after a while of doing it. Not even our members. Some people I have converted have an interset in shaving better, but could care less about MDC or would never consider spending that amount on a shave product. They might hang around, benefit from the shave side and participate in the ray of other topics the site owners add. Food for thought to grow the membership, and keep the membership. If you want to reach the level of B&B and get the benefits of ads and a voice with manufactuers and companies you will need to come up with more.

5 273
 04-14-2012, 11:12 PM
User Info
I think Joe has a great idea and it would have plenty of traction. The problem for ME would be that I can't discuss Economics without talking about how the Federal Government and the Federal Reserve in particluar have screwed us royally.

See...I'm already teetering on being banned and the darned thread hasn't even opened yet.Facepalm

9 1,199
 04-14-2012, 11:53 PM
User Info
Could subforums be used? The subforums for the subjects Joe suggested could be placed under the Parlor forum. That would make them available and organized yet keep the main forum page clean and easy to navigate. Provided, of course, that the MyBB software allows subforums

0 303
 04-15-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
(04-14-2012, 11:53 PM)Tbone Wrote: Could subforums be used? The subforums for the subjects Joe suggested could be placed under the Parlor forum. That would make them available and organized yet keep the main forum page clean and easy to navigate. Provided, of course, that the MyBB software allows subforums

how many investing threads have been started on this forum? I think 0. there's no need for an investing/investment subforum. if someone wants to start a thread about investing, we already have a section for it, right here.

40 5,830
 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
Joe -

You're probably right in that people will get saturated with posting about shaving (eventually).

Still, the site founders and admins made a conscious decision to focus on shaving only. In particular - 'Traditional Wet Shaving'. While this may change in the future, it's early days yet, so there's no reason to broaden the focus of the site yet.

----------

That being said, it's great when people have an idea for improving the site. We want to hear everyone's suggestions. They're all considered carefully, even if the decision is not to act on them (immediately).

For now, any discussion on investing will have to take place in a thread in the Parlor. Please do start a thread there, and we'll keep tabs on the activity it generates.

37 1,731