06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
User Info
I was out-of-town for a week for work, and I brought my old Mach 3 along to avoid TSA regulations. Sure, I had a soap stick and my Semogue 610 with me, but the shaves just weren't as good. After being stuck in the Midwest for an extra day due to inclement weather, my HD, an Astra, and Italian Menthol Palmolive (it's in the 90s here in Philadelphia) all combined to gleefully mow through my 2-day stubble. I'm surprised at how different my face feels.

Not having used carts in more than a year, I think I was surprised at how I had grown used to the higher quality shaves that I receive with a DE razor. On days when I was in a hurry, the little extra time it took was starting to feel like a bit of a chore. But a week with the Mach 3 changed my perspective. I guess if this story has a point, it's that I had a little epiphany this morning: The world can wait. Life's too short to stumble through without a decent shave.

2 129
 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM
User Info
(06-26-2013, 10:53 AM)ronwell Wrote: I was out-of-town for a week for work, and I brought my old Mach 3 along to avoid TSA regulations. Sure, I had a soap stick and my Semogue 610 with me, but the shaves just weren't as good. After being stuck in the Midwest for an extra day due to inclement weather, my HD, an Astra, and Italian Menthol Palmolive (it's in the 90s here in Philadelphia) all combined to gleefully mow through my 2-day stubble. I'm surprised at how different my face feels.

Not having used carts in more than a year, I think I was surprised at how I had grown used to the higher quality shaves that I receive with a DE razor. On days when I was in a hurry, the little extra time it took was starting to feel like a bit of a chore. But a week with the Mach 3 changed my perspective. I guess if this story has a point, it's that I had a little epiphany this morning: The world can wait. Life's too short to stumble through without a decent shave.

the de/se blades sure do make quick work at mowing through thick and long stubble.

40 5,830
 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Next time you make that trip, get you some BIC single blade sensitive disposable razors. Reminds me of a mild Schick Injector and still gives that at home shave you are accustomed to.

[Image: D94rl52.jpg]

173 23,546
 06-26-2013, 11:32 AM
User Info
(06-26-2013, 10:53 AM)ronwell Wrote: I was out-of-town for a week for work, and I brought my old Mach 3 along to avoid TSA regulations. Sure, I had a soap stick and my Semogue 610 with me, but the shaves just weren't as good. After being stuck in the Midwest for an extra day due to inclement weather, my HD, an Astra, and Italian Menthol Palmolive (it's in the 90s here in Philadelphia) all combined to gleefully mow through my 2-day stubble. I'm surprised at how different my face feels.

I'm using an adjustable Schick Injector and I'm finding that I'm not suffering the irritation that I had from when I used a cartridge razor everyday. DE/SE is the way to go.

Clayton

6 617
 06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I can truely understand.

I have used my Mach 3 a couple of times with a Good Soap or Cream and a Good Brush and I noticed that the shave was not as close, I also noticed that in the late afternoon or early evening that I could fell more roughness that I would with a DE.

But, for me there are some days when I am in too much of a hurry and I don't have the extra time and even when that happens I still feel like I was cheated.

And so I agree ... The world can wait. Life's too short to stumble through without a decent shave.

1 819
 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM
User Info
Thanks, Johnny. I might try those next time. I've always avoided the yellow Bics, as I have vivid memories of a 17-year-old version of myself cutting the heck out of my face with one. But my razor wielding skills have improved over the years, and I've also never seen the "Sensitive" ones, so maybe they're different/better.

2 129
 06-26-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
(06-26-2013, 10:53 AM)ronwell Wrote: The world can wait. Life's too short to stumble through without a decent shave.

* Ahhh, so very, very true and a great epiphany!Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I've done a bit of travel in the last couple of weeks.

I used a Walmart Wilkie Tech 3 blade disposable (similar to the Schick Xtreme 3, which is sold as the Wilkie Xtreme 3 in the UK) for a week, followed by a week of Gillette disposable Sensor 3 blade. One trip, one razor.

I got 6 excellent shaves from each razor. So, as a value proposition, DE is still cheaper (I tend to chuck my blades after 2 or 3 uses)

I also use Bic Metals from time to time, and the Schick ST2, as well. The Bic Metal is an excellent single blade. (I guess I should try the Sensitive, too!) The ST2 is a two blade in the Trac 2 tradition.

I prefer fewer blades (one or two) to a multi cart/disposable, but both the 3 blade razors I mentioned shaved well, and did not give me rash or ingrowns.

I returned to DE today, and got really a fine shave. I prefer DE for many reasons, but I believe that with proper prep, current disposables can give excellent results, and are much easier when TSA is involved. The two blade Sensor cartridge is still my preferred air travel razor, with the German made blades.

YMMV!

1 108
 06-27-2013, 11:16 PM
User Info
(06-26-2013, 11:28 AM)Johnny Wrote: Next time you make that trip, get you some BIC single blade sensitive disposable razors. Reminds me of a mild Schick Injector and still gives that at home shave you are accustomed to.

[Image: D94rl52.jpg]

Johnny, where can I get a bunch of these for a good price, sealed and new ?

You have a good link to an online store that sells them and ship to Europe ?
I can't seem to find them locally here or in any online for that matter Smile

Thanks Smile

22 5,064
 06-30-2013, 08:07 AM
User Info
A month ago I was up in Wisconsin with my unit to fire our howitzers. I brought my Gillette Aluminum Ball End Tech, Personna Med Preps, a Palmolive stick, an Oscar Grade A badger brush, witch hazel, and Barbon AS.

The morning we were getting ready to leave, I had to borrow some Gillette Foamy from a buddy in my unit. I can tell you, that shave wasn't close at all.

It really made me appreciate my creams, soaps and brushes. I know this is totally unrelated as I have no tried carts with my brush, soap/cream. I will probably try it just to see how better it actually is.

2 396
 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM
User Info
I had to travel recently by air and used the blue plastic Personna disposable razor (2 blades). While I did have the usual accouterments, I was frankly a little surprised how good the shave was.

47 1,270