06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
User Info
I just received an order of Kell's Original soaps and after getting them into some containers I began to think about all of the different glycerin heavy melt and pour type soaps that I use and enjoy. I know that many times melt and pour soaps get a bad rap, but there are so many good soap makers out there offering great melt and pour soaps (VDH, Col. Conk, Ogallala, Pyrate Cove, Honeybee, QED, Kell's Original, Mama Bear, etc., etc.) I sometimes feel like a kid in a candy store when I look over the myriad scent lists and options. What are your favorite glycerin heavy melt and pour soaps?

My top five:
1) Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns (I hated this scent at first, but it grew on me and now I love it.)
2) Kell's Original Ultra Aloe Vanilla Bean
3) Pyrate Cove Cucumber Mellon
4) Van Der Hagen Deluxe
5) Mama Bear's Toasted Coconut

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Honestly I haven't tried that many, due bad early experiences with some of them I've mostly stayed away. I do enjoy VDH Deluxe, it was my first soap when I started traditional shaving 2½ years ago and I keep a puck around for nostalgia and occasional use.
I tried 3 scents of Mama Bears and found the lather only average, the scents were amazing but set me on fire..so they were PIF'd.

31 1,510
 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I dislike most I've tried except Ogallala and Straight Razor Designs. I hate to say it but Straight Razor Designs is on the verge of knocking off DRH (have all 5) as my #1 soap. DRH Almond is hanging onto my #1 soap by a thread. I'm on well water and SRD may just be the easiest soap to face lather with. I currently have tubs of SRD Opus X (love the tobacco scent) and West Indies Bay and I'm working my way through samples of the others. A sample of SRD Sandalwood I just finished may have had the best sandalwood scent of any soap or cream I've used, not to mention how great my face felt after shaving with it. Sandalwood is their most expensive and I just haven't decided on spending that much money on a tub of melt & pour. I have to finish off the other samples before I decide.

0 204
 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
User Info
While I am not a fan of the glycerin pour soaps, I do love the smells of some of Wm. Neumann's offerings. Most particularly 1907, 1911 and Heartwood. Once you get the water balance right, it's a breeze to lather up.

129 6,685
 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Some day I will have to try the Kell's Energy. I have heard more good things about that soap than any other glycerin based soap.

My favorites that I am currently using are:

1. Mama Bears- Good Morning Honey!
2. Mama Bears- Ye Olde Barbershop
3. Mama Bears- Spellbound Woods
4. Honeybeesoaps- Honey Ale
5. Mama Bears- Awakenings
6. Mama Bears- Mandarin Ice

45 3,955
 06-29-2013, 05:54 AM
User Info
Kell's Original - Energy
Honeybee - Cherry Pipe Tobacco
QEDMan - Bathtub Gin
Kell's Original - Black Tea
savor - Formula N
Country Heart Soaps - Gingered Peach

0 1
 07-01-2013, 06:45 AM
User Info
In no particular order:

Mama Bear Rosemary & Mint

Mama Bear Winter Grapefruit

The Gentlemen's Quarter - Savon de Campagne

The Gentlemen's Quarter - Provence Lavender

Mama Bear Oakmoss & Lavender (the B&B edition)

0 641
 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
User Info
Ordered 1lb melt and pour shave base, and 1 lb melt and pour shea base from Brambleberry and mixed them roughly 50/50. I also got some of the powdered clay for slip. Put in a dab of castor oil, and a dash of vitamin E oil as well. Then I added some Arabian Spice, and some Ginger Lime fragrance oils and now I have something that smells a lot like Bay Rum Lime, and at least for my water lathers wonderfully. I may have enough to shave with for the next decade.

0 252
 07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
User Info
(07-02-2013, 11:32 AM)GeneAut Wrote: Ordered 1lb melt and pour shave base, and 1 lb melt and pour shea base from Brambleberry and mixed them roughly 50/50. I also got some of the powdered clay for slip. Put in a dab of castor oil, and a dash of vitamin E oil as well. Then I added some Arabian Spice, and some Ginger Lime fragrance oils and now I have something that smells a lot like Bay Rum Lime, and at least for my water lathers wonderfully. I may have enough to shave with for the next decade.

Luckily I saved your recipe you posted on the old board. When I tried out the sample I remember telling my wife that it was the best melt and pour soap I had ever used. Much thicker than what you usually get from a melt and pour.

0 241
 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
User Info
(07-02-2013, 05:58 PM)Ecosse Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 11:32 AM)GeneAut Wrote: Ordered 1lb melt and pour shave base, and 1 lb melt and pour shea base from Brambleberry and mixed them roughly 50/50. I also got some of the powdered clay for slip. Put in a dab of castor oil, and a dash of vitamin E oil as well. Then I added some Arabian Spice, and some Ginger Lime fragrance oils and now I have something that smells a lot like Bay Rum Lime, and at least for my water lathers wonderfully. I may have enough to shave with for the next decade.

Luckily I saved your recipe you posted on the old board. When I tried out the sample I remember telling my wife that it was the best melt and pour soap I had ever used. Much thicker than what you usually get from a melt and pour.

I think the Brambleberry shave base is very good, and for the price ($3.30 a pound ) it's a great bargain. Smile

I still have a pound of the goat's milk base I was going to make something from, but I still have plenty of that last batch to use up first.

BTW, at the moment I have been enjoying Ogallalla's Sage and Cedar Bay Rum shave stick. I've discovered it's a bit of a water hog with my tap water, and ever since I learned to feed it's thirst it's been giving me some very enjoyable shaves. I've used it about 5 or 6 days straight, and it's been quite a nice performer.

0 252