06-28-2013, 11:02 AM
User Info
I hope that this would be the correct sub forum/forum to post this. If not, Moderators please accept my apologies and move as appropriate.

I cannot post a picture as I do not have an on line album established so I apologize. But, I purchased a seriously worn and used Made Rite brush marked pure badger and the number 54 near the edge of the bottom of the brush handle. The handle is what you gents would call "butterscotch" in color. It is a smaller brush than what I have already so, either the brush itself needs replaced or, it is a travel brush (?)

My questions are: 1. Other than gently washing the brush in mild soap (I used shaving cream/soap), and letting it dry, what else do I need to do? 2. The hairs seems to be coming out, not many mind you but a few. Is this indicative that I need to replace the brushes from the handle? 3. Do you think that I could replace the brush/knot(?) myself and should I?

This brush is my first used brush ever, I bought it for $12.00 because I wanted to give it a life again. We were out rummaging today and I bought this brush as well as a 1965 Gillette TTO Slim (K4) in pristine condition (major score for me!). I buy these items now because like all of you, we use these things and bring them back into "service".

If you would like, I could send an email to someone in private if someone here would look at the brush and help me out. I want to understand these things as I look for more brushes and razors to "rescue".

With much anticipated appreciation, please for me for the newbie questions ..... I am here to learn.

Frank

2 229
 06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
User Info
(06-28-2013, 11:02 AM)Lakebound Wrote: I hope that this would be the correct sub forum/forum to post this. If not, Moderators please accept my apologies and move as appropriate.

I cannot post a picture as I do not have an on line album established so I apologize. But, I purchased a seriously worn and used Made Rite brush marked pure badger and the number 54 near the edge of the bottom of the brush handle. The handle is what you gents would call "butterscotch" in color. It is a smaller brush than what I have already so, either the brush itself needs replaced or, it is a travel brush (?)

My questions are: 1. Other than gently washing the brush in mild soap (I used shaving cream/soap), and letting it dry, what else do I need to do? 2. The hairs seems to be coming out, not many mind you but a few. Is this indicative that I need to replace the brushes from the handle? 3. Do you think that I could replace the brush/knot(?) myself and should I?

This brush is my first used brush ever, I bought it for $12.00 because I wanted to give it a life again. We were out rummaging today and I bought this brush as well as a 1965 Gillette TTO Slim (K4) in pristine condition (major score for me!). I buy these items now because like all of you, we use these things and bring them back into "service".

If you would like, I could send an email to someone in private if someone here would look at the brush and help me out. I want to understand these things as I look for more brushes and razors to "rescue".

With much anticipated appreciation, please for me for the newbie questions ..... I am here to learn.

Frank

Frank you do need to replace the knot in the brush given the fact of age and the hairs falling out. There are two ways to go about it.

One look through the brush threads to find restorations and see what is discussed and ask questions about how to drill out (remove) the old knot, procuring a new knot, epoxy and glue types to use, loft sizes, etc. If you have a Dremel and certain bits and sanding drums and are handy with them, you should be able to do it yourself.

If you don't feel that handy, don't have the tools, etc. you may want to pay to have someone with experience restore the brush.

What ever approach you decide I wish you good fortune.

1 2,827
 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM
User Info
(06-28-2013, 05:22 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 11:02 AM)Lakebound Wrote: I hope that this would be the correct sub forum/forum to post this. If not, Moderators please accept my apologies and move as appropriate.

Frank

Frank you do need to replace the knot in the brush given the fact of age and the hairs falling out. There are two ways to go about it.

One look through the brush threads to find restorations and see what is discussed and ask questions about how to drill out (remove) the old knot, procuring a new knot, epoxy and glue types to use, loft sizes, etc. If you have a Dremel and certain bits and sanding drums and are handy with them, you should be able to do it yourself.

If you don't feel that handy, don't have the tools, etc. you may want to pay to have someone with experience restore the brush.

What ever approach you decide I wish you good fortune.

Thank you for the advice.

Frank

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

2 229
 06-29-2013, 04:19 AM
User Info
Can anyone provide a recommendation for where I can send this little brush off to in the CONUS for a knot replacement. Or, perhaps a good source for where to purchase a replacement knot for a DIY job?

Thanks,

Frank

2 229
 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM
User Info
GDCarrington actually does fine restores and tends to use Ace Shaving and The Golden Nib (TGN) knots. Mikeperry also does restores, but I am not sure if he takes on projects for others. Rudy Vey definitely does fine restores, and I see him work with Shavemac, TGN and Wet Shaving Products (WSP) knots.

My personal preference for restore knots:

1) WSP Superfine two-band
2) TGN unbanded (blonde) boar (made by Omega) esp the 22/50mm knot
3) Shavemac Finest, Silvertip and D01 Silvertip
4) TGN Finest two-band (offered in different densities and knot shapes)

Depends what knot hole you are working with as to what new knot you can accommodate. Also depends on how much you would like to spend; around $10 for the boar up to $70+ for some of the badger knots. The TGN Finest is a nice, happy medium if you want badger.

Forgot to mention that Muhle synthetic fibre knots are fantastic (especially version 2). I know Rudy can get them or you can order them yourself.

47 1,270
 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM
User Info
Thank you Kent. I'm going to give this a go with a 20mm Finest Badger Knot.

I already have a nice brush that my Son gave to me and I consider myself to be rather handy. So, if I ruin it, I can chalk it up as a learning experience and start over or, punt and get a new one.

Just going to dive in I guess. Dodgy

Frank

2 229
 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
(06-29-2013, 12:07 PM)Lakebound Wrote: Thank you Kent. I'm going to give this a go with a 20mm Finest Badger Knot.

I already have a nice brush that my Son gave to me and I consider myself to be rather handy. So, if I ruin it, I can chalk it up as a learning experience and start over or, punt and get a new one.

Frank

Good fortune to you in restoring the brush.

1 2,827
 06-29-2013, 05:07 PM
User Info
(06-29-2013, 05:03 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 12:07 PM)Lakebound Wrote: Thank you Kent. I'm going to give this a go with a 20mm Finest Badger Knot.

Frank

Good fortune to you in restoring the brush.

Thank you Sir. Supportive comments coming from a person like yourself who has much more experience in such an endeavor means a great deal to me.

Best regards,
Frank

2 229
 07-01-2013, 08:49 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Good luck Frank! Take your time with the restoration and if you get to a spot that has you stumped or second guessing your next move come back and ask questions. It is easy to do, but also easy to make a mistake if you get a little hurried. My first restoration attempt ended up with me drilling a hole through the side of the handle. Fortunately I know my slow learning curve and started with a cheap plastic handled brush that I didn't mind using as my guinea pig.

127 2,393
 07-01-2013, 09:00 AM
User Info
It is very easy to do the restore. Plenty of information here to guide you through it. Also like was said above ask questions if you need help. Would love to see pictures when it's finished.

Sent from the wall via raven.

1 96
 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
(07-01-2013, 08:49 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Good luck Frank! Take your time with the restoration and if you get to a spot that has you stumped or second guessing your next move come back and ask questions. It is easy to do, but also easy to make a mistake if you get a little hurried. My first restoration attempt ended up with me drilling a hole through the side of the handle. Fortunately I know my slow learning curve and started with a cheap plastic handled brush that I didn't mind using as my guinea pig.

(07-01-2013, 09:00 AM)hig789 Wrote: It is very easy to do the restore. Plenty of information here to guide you through it. Also like was said above ask questions if you need help. Would love to see pictures when it's finished.

Sent from the wall via raven.

This is why TSN is the best place for a novice shaver to start out. Thank you both for the words of encouragement and support. I already have prepped the handle to about 80% and will wait until after my new knot arrives before I go any further. That way, I can be assured of a proper fit up and then proper height, etc before final epoxy is set in.

There are a lot of wonderful, historic and beautiful handles out there simply weeping to be brought back into service. And now, because I have a baby face (shave every other day), I can have something to do between Shaving !

Thanks again to everyone who has responded. Now, I need to find a way to post pictures on this forum.

Frank

2 229
 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Photobucket.com is free and super-easy to use.

68 1,417
 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
(07-01-2013, 12:53 PM)Crag Wrote: Photobucket.com is free and super-easy to use.

I'll check that out! Thanks.

PS, thanks to Crag I can now post photos. Here is the "before" photo of the little brush I bought.

[Image: 1372442996310_zps1ea2d3bc.jpg]

Frank

2 229
 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-01-2013, 01:09 PM)Lakebound Wrote: Here is the "before" photo of the little brush I bought...

Hi Frank

Just my humble opinion, that handle is going to look fantastic with a 2-Band (Finest) knot installed in it.

If you've not already ordered the 20mm 2-Band Finest knot from TGN I would recommend holding off until you've removed the existing knot. With the existing knot removed you will be able to take precise measurements, plus decide if it's feasible, worthwhile, to widen the knot hole for a larger knot size.

Good luck!

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
User Info
(07-02-2013, 10:10 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(07-01-2013, 01:09 PM)Lakebound Wrote: Here is the "before" photo of the little brush I bought...

Hi Frank

Just my humble opinion, that handle is going to look fantastic with a 2-Band (Finest) knot installed in it.

If you've not already ordered the 20mm 2-Band Finest knot from TGN I would recommend holding off until you've removed the existing knot. With the existing knot removed you will be able to take precise measurements, plus decide if it's feasible, worthwhile, to widen the knot hole for a larger knot size.

Good luck!

Take care, Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike. Actually, I did remove the old knot and clean up the handle a bit before measuring and ordering the knot. The handle is about 85% prepped to ensure that I didn't take too much from the original measurement of 19mm.

New knot should be here by the weekend and if I have time, I may be able to finish it and take pictures before I use it for the first time.

Frank

2 229
 07-06-2013, 03:11 AM
User Info
I finished the restoration yesterday and very pleased with the results. The knot is a 20mm finest Badger fan that I purchased from Golden Nib. I also purchased the epoxy from them and the amount that I received would serve me for years.

Here is the before picture of the brush.

And here is a photo of the new brush with a loft of about 48mm.
[Image: 700caa5b-3ebb-46cb-aebf-b42f58f4a467_zps2bd80890.jpg]

I found this project to be rather simple as long as you properly measure the handle and take your time with preparation. Waiting for the knot to arrive in the mail was the longest step and anyone handy with basic tools could do this for themselves if they chose to.

Frank

2 229
 07-06-2013, 03:46 AM
User Info
(07-06-2013, 03:11 AM)Lakebound Wrote: I finished the restoration yesterday and very pleased with the results. The knot is a 20mm finest Badger fan that I purchased from Golden Nib. I also purchased the epoxy from them and the amount that I received would serve me for years.

Here is the before picture of the brush.

And here is a photo of the new brush with a loft of about 48mm.
[Image: 700caa5b-3ebb-46cb-aebf-b42f58f4a467_zps2bd80890.jpg]

I found this project to be rather simple as long as you properly measure the handle and take your time with preparation. Waiting for the knot to arrive in the mail was the longest step and anyone handy with basic tools could do this for themselves if they chose to.

Frank

Excellent work!

Now you can enjoy a brush you have some handiwork involved in.

1 2,827
 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Frank

The finished brush looks first class Clap

I look forward to hearing how it performs for you and seeing a post-bloom photo or two...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-06-2013, 01:24 PM
User Info
Thank you both Mike and GD for your kind comments. It certainly may not be at the professional level, but I am pleased with my first attempt.

I used it to shave this morning and it worked up a great lather in my bowl and on my face. I will post a few pictures of the brush post-bloom.

Frank

2 229
 07-06-2013, 06:31 PM
User Info
Frank, that is a splendid result. Thanks for following up in your thread.

47 1,270