06-28-2013, 01:40 PM
User Info
I'm fairly certain this has been written of before, this is just a reminder, and maybe it'll be the first time others have read of it.

I was in CVS today, and when inside I always check out the shaving aisle. Today I saw a tiny tag on the Cremo Cream... 100% rebate on the purchase price. Cremo says it takes 8 weeks to receive the rebate, but ultimately it's free, less tax, etc.. It's also only at brick and mortar stores.

Of course I took advantage of it; a frugal Maineiac pass something like that up!? No way! I've wanted to try it for a long time. It's something I simply couldn't pass up.

32 6,309
 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, let us know how you like it.

173 23,546
 06-28-2013, 02:00 PM
User Info
I may have to stop by CVS this weekend now. Thanks for the headsup Brian!

31 7,914
 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
I have done the rebate thing, and it really works. You get a check for the price (minus tax) and also 4 or 5 coupons for rebates to give to your friends, in case they can't find one with the rebate tag at the stores.
As for the cream, it is a brushless cream as you may already know. It is very slick and does the job, and did not dry out my skin. I use when in a hurry and can't spend time whipping up a lather with brush and all.

10 486
 06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
User Info
I took advantage of it. Good deal and they pay. Cremo is great as a low lather slick brushless travel cream. Its good stuff

5 135
 06-28-2013, 08:05 PM
User Info
I just worked up a hand lather with a brush. I found it to be incredibly slick also. It did make a lather with the brush, but it was somehow odd. I'll withhold any more comments until I use it in the morning. The tube does state to hand lather it.

The scent is lemon when I held it at arms length hand lathering it. Brought up to my nose, as it would be when on the face, it was still distinctly citrus, but the lemon disappeared into other contributing scents. It was pleasant, but typical for me, strong. I didn't see the scent as being a deal breaker for me. Of course I'll know more in the morning when I have it under my nose for 13 minutes.

I'll use it as per label and then with a brush and when I'm confidant that I know the cream, I'll give a full report. If someone wishes to post a review before mine, go for it.

My initial reaction having done the brushed hand lather is quite positive. It's incredibly slick.

32 6,309
 06-29-2013, 08:27 AM
User Info
This morning I used it as per directions, and hand lathered it. I'm still not certain I did it 100% correctly. I probably didn't add enough water, yet it's an incredibly slick product. The tube states that water activates it.

Obviously there is zero cushion, but the shave was good. There was no irritation.

On the 2nd pass I used what was left on my left hand and what remained as residue on the face. Wetting the face and working it around to work up the residual slickness. It was again, plenty slick.

For my 1/3 pass under the jawline on the leftside I again used residue (as per instructions) and had plenty of slickness.

It's an interesting product. One thing that's interesting is that I didn't get a BBS and it was clearly my fault. W/O the tell of lather to show me where I've been with the razor I missed a spot on my chin.

Sundays shave is reserved for any soap I choose, but tomorrow I plan on using the CremoCream again. This is interesting. I intend to hand lather it again, use a smaller quantity, and more water.

I intend to fully test this product. I also want to see just how little I can get away with using. I didn't use the full amount today and I had plenty of lubrication. Forget cushion, there is none with any hand lathered product that I've ever used. But if the lubrication is sufficient and proper technique is used (no pressure), one can get away with it.

Oh, the possible scent issue I thought I might have? I found it to be no issue whatsoever. Yes, the scent was there, but after the initial, "Yup, it's there.", it was never thought of again.

32 6,309
 06-30-2013, 08:34 AM
User Info
I'm actually quite impressed with this product. Today I used it as per label directions and didn't even attempt to "hold" some product on my left hand for subsequent passes.

I used less product and more water for the first pass, all hand "lathered". Cremo calls it lather, but it certainly isn't lather as I know it. Think of it as a sort of a very thin cream. It's slicker than snot. I completed the first pass, and you'd better remember where you passed the razor on your beard, because the "lather" won't indicate where you've been. That's not a negative, it's just the way this product is. Again, there is no cushion with this product, it's just a very slick lubricating layer, so no pressure on the razor must be adhered to for technique; especially for subsequent passes where there is even less of a layer.

OK, for the 2nd pass I just lightly wetted my hand and rubbed my face and sure enough, as per the instructions, there was a useable "lather" on my face.

I completed that pass and I do a 3rd pass under 1/2 of my jawline. Would there be enough residue available to complete that? Amazingly, slightly wetting my hand and rubbing it in the area I needed that 3rd pass got me what I needed. I have no doubt that if I wanted to do a 3rd pass over my entire face I could have. There was no magic that I performed to produce useable product under my jawline, it was just Cremo Cream residue that the water found somewhere in my skin.

Face feel after the shave is very nice. My skin is like satin and I haven't used my normal after the shave product to get it to feel that way.

I'm still not done testing the Cremo Cream. I want to further test using a brush, but just by following the directions it works and works quite nicely. Who would have thought that the designers of the product would know best how to use it? Yet I still want to use it with a brush. I can see it being a huge hit with those who travel, camp, wherever one wants a decent shave and doesn't have time to allow a brush to dry, or simply doesn't want to carry a brush.

It's really nice stuff.

Compare it to other products? I can't. Skin feel after the shave is as good as the best. The shave is a completely different experience. Read the directions on the tube and follow them.

I have extremely soft water, so I'm backing off on the product I use. If you have hard water you may need to use more. It's something I can't test, not having hard water.

32 6,309
 06-30-2013, 08:44 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Thanks for the detailed report Brian. I had the same impression about this cream. Less is more and it makes it unbelievably slick. Only thing is to remember where you had already shaved.
They also have a moisturizer and a face wash. You can get these for free as well with the rebates. They say it is one rebate per product per household Biggrin

10 486
 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM
User Info
Today will probably be the last post by myself in this thread unless someone can clue me in as to how to make a better brush generated lather with this product. That gives a hint as to where this post is going.

I want to state right up front that the directions on the tube specifically state to hand lather it and to do as I did for subsequent passes as I did in yesterdays post. But I just had to try using it with a brush. Biggrin It worked fine yesterday when I followed the directions.

Lathering it with a brush, well, it will produce suds and a sort of lather using the same amount of CC as I used yesterday. Using more water resulted in foam. I doubled the amount of CC and got a sort of lather that wasn't stable. I shaved with it anyway because it was still extremely slick. I completed my 2 1/3 passes with no problem, it just wasn't what I want and expect in a lather.

I want to state again, using a brush is not suggested or reccommended by Cremo Cream. I tried this just because I could. OK, I also like to brush lather.

So to wrap this up, it works fine if the label directions are followed. FWIW, it's not difficult to follow those directions. One must simply leave preconceived notions about how a shave cream works outside the shave nook door.

I don't know that it will see normal use in my soap rotation, but for camping or traveling this product would be fantastic as it means the brush can be left home, and there are no problems with drying a brush that can degrade if left wet. Face feel after the shave is among the very best. It's a great product if (here it comes again) one follows the label directions for use. Cremo Cream emphasizes this right on the label in red lettering and a pointing finger.
[Image: CremoCreamtube_zps39ddbc87.jpg]

The flash is reflecting in part of the instructions, but it says to rewet in order to reshave an area.

32 6,309
 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thank you Brian for the nice reviews. We have a new CVS opening soon and if they have this I will give it a try.

173 23,546
 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Thanks Brian.

Its good to read what Cremo is about.

Glad that it worked out for you...kinda.

I'll leave mine in "the box in the basement" and continue testing Tabula Rasa. :-)

47 1,378
 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have bought this product and it is not bad as a cheap brushless shave cream.

And it is slick as snot.

So my plan is to ...

Take an under performing soap (or one that only smells like a soap ... like a couple I bought off the Bay)

Put some of the under performing soap on a brush and

put a small amount of KMF and a small amount of Cremo into a bowl and

whip up a super later.

1 819
 07-02-2013, 02:10 PM
User Info
My comment about "this" being my last post?... I lied. Though not intentionally.

If one checks out my SOTD today (Tuesday, July 2, '13) I used the handlathered Cremo Cream with a new blade in the Muhle '11 R41. Maybe not the brightest thing I ever did, but the team needed to know and who better than me to take the hit?

The short story is, super aggressive razor and sharp blade with no cushion... really bad idea. After one pass I cut my losses and whipped up a traditional lather to finish the shave. I have a spot where my skin isn't the smoothest to be found on the planet, plus the angle transitions rapidly there (between the lip and chin). That bad combination of CC and razor really didn't work with positive results there.

So mid-aggressive to mild razors and cartridges, you'd probably be OK with CremoCream. Or to add to other products to goose their lubricity as Grumpy suggests. Maybe a base layer of CC against the skin and a traditional lather on top? Maybe. Maybe I'll test it. No promises and no "This is my last post" BS on my part either. We know how that works when I want to test something. Rolleyes

I have noticed one curious characteristic of the CremoCream. Normally with traditional lather, my whiskers will float on the surface of the basin of water and work their way to the sides of the sink where they adhere. Every time I've used CC, the whiskers fall to the bottom. Even today after using it for just one pass then using whipped up lather, same thing, the whiskers went straight to Davey Jones' locker. Nothing to do with the shave really, just something I noticed.

32 6,309
 07-02-2013, 02:12 PM
User Info
I went by my local CVS today at lunch to see if they had this at all; they didn't. I'm not sure whether I should be happy or sad. Undecided

31 7,914
 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I use Cremo exclusively when I backpack, especially when water is at a premium. Just a dab spread over my face and a spritz of water and I'm good for three passes. It's a great slick shave cream, but lathering is what I really love about wet shaving so using this more than when I'm back-packing is not going to happen any time soon.

My mom actually told me about Cremo Cream as she uses the Lady Cremo (nice coconut scent & works just like the men's orange-creamsicle scented one), and since they are still on septic she has to use water sparingly. That's actually how the discussion came up...I was planning a trip for the Boy Scouts (I was the Scoutmaster at the time) to a place called Windy Gap, in the Angeles National Forest, and we would need to pack in water, so shaving was "going" to be suspended for the 3 day trip...Then my mom told me about her Lady Cremo and I took a sample home with me and I began using it exclusively on the back-pack trips where there wouldn't be any water available. It really is excellent for that sort of shaving as just a slightly wet face allows 3 full passes. I probably only use about 5 tablespoons for a complete 3-pass shave in the outback...

I've also used it a couple times to make a superlather and it works great for that, too!

I have spoken directly with the inventor too, suggesting he market it to expeditions, the military, etc, but have no idea if that ever happened or not. Kyle Schroeder is his name and they are based about three miles from my mom's house in Monrovia, Ca. He seems to be genuinly concerned about the environment which appealed to the Scouter in me, and said he purposefully made it need very little water so we could "Stop wasting so much down the drain". I liked him, and his product, and since i spoke to him have noticed that CVS pharmacies have started carrying it and that there are a few additional products available, too.

68 1,416
 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
I picked up a tube of Cremo Cream today and I plan to try it as a base for pre-shave prepping after applying hot towels to my beard. I still plan to use traditional shaving soap/creams but rubbing the Cremo into my beard first.

Should be interesting.

Frank

2 229
 07-06-2013, 04:12 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Great review, Brian!

3 2,562
 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM
User Info
(07-03-2013, 01:21 PM)Lakebound Wrote: I picked up a tube of Cremo Cream today and I plan to try it as a base for pre-shave prepping after applying hot towels to my beard. I still plan to use traditional shaving soap/creams but rubbing the Cremo into my beard first.

Should be interesting.

Frank

Frank I've done that 3 times now, using it as a base for lesser soaps, and it appears to have benefit. Considering the miniscule amount used for that, the tube will last a very long time.

Please let us know what you think about it. At the very least it won't cost you anything to play with it.

32 6,309
 07-06-2013, 01:44 PM
User Info
(07-06-2013, 11:35 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(07-03-2013, 01:21 PM)Lakebound Wrote: I picked up a tube of Cremo Cream today and I plan to try it as a base for pre-shave prepping after applying hot towels to my beard. I still plan to use traditional shaving soap/creams but rubbing the Cremo into my beard first.

Should be interesting.

Frank

Frank I've done that 3 times now, using it as a base for lesser soaps, and it appears to have benefit. Considering the miniscule amount used for that, the tube will last a very long time.

Please let us know what you think about it. At the very least it won't cost you anything to play with it.

I've had the same results that you have mentioned. I think that I will try using it by itself and with a brush. As you mentioned, either way it is free.

Already mailed my rebate voucher in.

Frank

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

2 229