06-28-2013, 04:41 PM
User Info
[Image: FbKMmJ5.jpg]

A new contest that puts those in uniform first!

You can write either as a civilian or as someone in uniform:

1. If a civilian, write about an encounter you have had with someone in uniform.

2. If you are in uniform write about an encounter with a civilian.

The winners will be picked by random.org on July 8.

Winners? Did I say winners - as in plural??! Yes, indeed I did, but why? Well it seems The Captain has been busy in the factory, very busy. So busy that Veterans Day and Memorial Day went by. Now Independence Day is upon us!

So in remembrance of those three holidays and since there are (conveniently) three aftershaves in the treasure chest, The Captain declares that there be THREE WINNERS! (Casts a nervous glance over his shoulder to make sure the First Mate is preoccupied.) Each winner gets to choose whichever bottle of Captain's Choice bottle aftershave they would like.

Each person can enter once. This is CONUS only due to contents. This is open to the entire community here, come one come all. If you are a lurker here is your chance to join a great on-line community and even win something!

Good luck to each of you and thank a veteran or someone in uniform when you see them!

Here is a picture of all three siblings together:

[Image: Tw7glNp.jpg]

6 323
 06-29-2013, 03:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
GREAT contest Captain.

I am not entering.

173 23,547
 06-29-2013, 03:09 AM
User Info
Hi Scott, thanks for another generous contest.

I'm a civilian, but I guess you could say my military encounter was with my sister and brother-in-law. They met while serving together in the Navy on the aircraft carrier USS Harry Truman.
The rest of the family visited them at the base in Norfolk, VA several time and got to see the ship. It was a breathtaking experience.

Together they served two tours in Iraq, and helped the relief/cleanup effort in N.O. after Hurricane Katrina. Now they've settled down and have a beautiful 2-year-old daughter and another child due in less than a month.

They both make me very proud.

10 2,062
 06-29-2013, 07:05 AM
User Info
This is thoughtful on your part Scott and I'm in.

Every day I, in a sense, have an "encounter" with someone in uniform. My daughter and her husband are both Navy officers based in Norfolk, Virginia. My daughter is currently in Charleston, South Carolina for one year attending the Navy's officer nuclear power school. Her husband is deployed on a warship currently somewhere in the Middle East.

Every day I am reminded of the huge sacrifice made by those who serve. Without them we would not have our freedom and way of life. If I win I will donate my prize to my son-in-law.

37 2,965
 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I'm in Smile

My best childhood friend Tom was in the first Gulf war. I'll never forget when he returned from the desert, walking from the plane in full uniform and wearing military issued glasses that made him look so much older! He was a different man, mature, and I was intimated even, feeling immature! But proud he was my best friend and he fought for all us friends and relatives there at the airport to greet him home. What a guy! RESPECT.

1 750
 06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
I'm in the Army National Guard with one deployment under my belt.

Veteran's Day, 2011- Me and my dad went to Golden Corral to eat. We ate and had a great time talking to veterans from WWII to the present. As we were leaving, I noticed an old guy struggling to put his wife's wheelchair in the trunk. I asked if he needed help which he gladly accepted. My dad grabbed one end and I grabbed the other as we put it in the trunk. I got a closer look at his hat and it said "WWII Veteran." I asked him which front he served on and he said Pacific- more specifically on Okinawa. I told him he had all my respect because his war was a lot different than the one being fought today. He was extremely grateful said "Us veterans share a brotherhood no matter when we served." He then thanked us, hugged us, and said that he was glad to still see young men like me willing to put everything on the line for the country. That moment really made me see that my service wasn't for nothing and that I did what most 18 year olds didn't have the guts to do. I learned a lot from him that and strive to be more like the Greatest Generation all the time. I know I won't come close, but I'm still trying.

Sorry for the long post.

2 396
 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
User Info
Not in (not on y'all's side of the pond), but great contest Smile

I "encounter" civilians every day... some I remember, some I want to forget Undecided

One of the more memorable days so far was when I was going back to South Sudan, after being home on leave, shortly after the referendum in January 2011 - I ran into not one, not two, but three Americans who decided to chat me up in the transfer terminal of Amsterdam Airport:
- One who wanted to thank me for my service - he knew I wasn't in the US military, but he appreciated anyone wanting to serve.
- One who believed at first I was going to the sandbox - once I corrected her that turned into a interesting discussion about Sub Saharan Africa and the problems they face.
- And one who claimed that people like me was the cause of everything that was bad in the world - I just told him to enjoy his flight and left, because I never know what to say to people with locked in opinions.

3 3,580
 07-03-2013, 06:28 AM
User Info
It seems I ought to share an encounter...

I was at a local fast food place that is highly regarded for its hotdogs - Portillo's. I was sitting there eating when seven servicemen walked in wearing camo and got in the long line. Where I live that is not a sight you see very often. I watched them as I ate and it was pretty clear which one was the ranking officer by their behavior. I knocked down the rest of my lunch and then approached the senior serviceman. I pulled him aside privately as if to ask a question, discretely slipped him $25.00, and told him I wanted to buy lunch for the whole group. In a hushed voice he thanked me profusely and I turned and began to walk away. The next thing I knew the restaurant fell silent as a booming voice rang out. He turned to his men and said:

"HEY!!!! THAT GUY JUST BOUGHT ALL OF US LUNCH!!!"

The men stopped talking to each other, turned to see who the guy was and applauded. I felt sheepish and so darn proud of the men at the same time.

6 323
 07-03-2013, 06:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Good for you Scott.

173 23,547
 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Nicely done Scott, undoubtedly there were some Captain fans in the contingent...Wink

17 544
 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM
  • TimS
User Info
A thoughtful and generous PIF. Thank you!

As a member of the military, I've had lots of great encounters with civilians. Returning from deployment, some strangers paid my lunch bill. Next stop on that trip was home. At my home airport, a guy slipped me a twenty and told me to enjoy some beers on him.

During Fleet Week in NYC last year, New Yorkers turned my preconceived notions of them upside down. A manager at a high end restaurant comp'd my (very expensive) bill. Walking the streets of Harlam after a pilgrimage to a pizza place I wanted to try (Patsy's), an unmarked cop car picked me up just as it started to rain. Those guys were very cool. And I got to see a generous act play out before me at Katz's deli: I watched a big group of junior officers sit down to eat. I then saw a lady walk over to talk to a manager, handed over her credit card, and then left. Only after she was gone did the waitress tell the guys a stranger just treated them. It was fun to watch. New Yorkers were unfailingly helpful and generous to us that week.

It has always been an honor to serve. And though never wanted or expected, these random acts of kindness make for wonderful memories.

1 13
 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM
User Info
Well Gentlemen, The Captain declares the contest to have concluded!

Wegian Warrior has an entry but is not counted as he is non-conus. That means there are five entries and three bottles to give away which means GREAT odds! Random.org was employed to select three winning numbers, here they are in order:

The first number drawn was #3 which was submitted by: Leo K.

The second number drawn was #1 which was submitted by: taborcarn

The third number drawn was #4 submitted by: MegaBullfrog

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all who entered!

If you are a winner send me a PM, identifying which of our three aftershaves you desire along with a mailing address and your Very Special Delivery will soon be in hand!

[Image: w9uDe47l.jpg]

6 323
 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Awesome! I'm very excited! Congrats to the other winners too!

1 750
 07-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Captain, this was a great and worthwhile contest. We thank you for your support.

Congratulations to the three winners.

173 23,547
 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
Congrats to the winners .....

0 66
 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM
User Info
Thank you for the great PIF, Captain. PM sent.

10 2,062
 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
  • TimS
User Info
Thanks for the opportunity: a very generous PIF!

1 13
 07-08-2013, 01:52 PM
  • donoma
  • Birmingham, AL
User Info
Congrats to those who won!

0 64
 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
I received my bottle of CC Lime AS today. It smells great!
Thanks again for such a generous contest Scott.

10 2,062