06-28-2013, 05:33 PM
User Info
I am curious what kind of shaving rotation feels comfortable and familiar to you gents. By "familiar" I mean that you are well-acquainted with a particular item and are able to pick up a brush, lather up and it's exactly as you remembered it would be.

I ask because I have felt on a couple of occasions the desire to downsize to prioritize simplicity and familiarity with items I particularly enjoy. As of this writing, I am "down" to 15 brushes, 12 DE razors, 17 SE razors, 3 blades, 7 soaps, 3 aftershaves and 1 balm...but I still desire more familiarity. Although I am not "surprised" when I use a particular item, I do wish we were on better terms.

What about you? Have you thought what an ideal rotation for you would be? Perhaps you like to be surprised by variety?

47 1,270
 06-28-2013, 05:51 PM
User Info
To be perfectly honest I have only in the past year (since finding this forum) acquired more shaving related goodies than I need. I really think the only reason I have done this is to have something different to photograph every day for the SOTD section.

I have however discovered some products that I never would have found otherwise. Most importantly the Fatip Razors and Krampert's frostbite! But several others as well.

But truth be told I could shave every day with some MWF lathered with a Semogue 620 scraped off with a Fatip and followed with some Frostbite and never feel like I am missing muchWink But I don't see that happening Smile

6 1,224
 06-28-2013, 06:43 PM
User Info
(06-28-2013, 05:51 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: I really think the only reason I have done this is to have something different to photograph every day for the SOTD section.

* i may have to concur with Eric, here. i like the variety, but, mainly, to photograph in the SOTD pics as not to bore the heck out of you lads with my Weber DLC, my WSP knots, and two soaps that i use! i would be perfectly happy to keep using only these items, but i know you chaps would get bored of my pics!Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM
User Info
(06-28-2013, 05:51 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: To be perfectly honest I have only in the past year (since finding this forum) acquired more shaving related goodies than I need. I really think the only reason I have done this is to have something different to photograph every day for the SOTD section.

I have however discovered some products that I never would have found otherwise. Most importantly the Fatip Razors and Krampert's frostbite! But several others as well.

But truth be told I could shave every day with some MWF lathered with a Semogue 620 scraped off with a Fatip and followed with some Frostbite and never feel like I am missing muchWink But I don't see that happening Smile

(06-28-2013, 06:43 PM)celestino Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 05:51 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: I really think the only reason I have done this is to have something different to photograph every day for the SOTD section.

* i may have to concur with Eric, here. i like the variety, but, mainly, to photograph in the SOTD pics as not to bore the heck out of you lads with my Weber DLC, my WSP knots, and two soaps that i use! i would be perfectly happy to keep using only these items, but i know you chaps would get bored of my pics!Biggrin

Thanks for your replies, Eric and Celestino, and quite unexpected! I didn't think about the desire for variety in one's SOTD posts. I do enjoy the pictures you both take.

47 1,270
 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
User Info
I almost never post pics in the SOTD, and I love my variety. While I don't long for more "stuff" I don't want to downsize in a meaningful way either. Except for a few hard soaps and creams.

Especially with razors that I don't use often, it's like meeting an old friend after time apart, but the familiarity comes back pretty quickly. I also changed the way I use razors. Now when I put a blade in one I keep it there for quite awhile, sometimes, especially in the case of DE, for the life of the blade.

Soaps, they all work great and at heart the mechanics of lather making is identical no matter what is used. Of course the resultant lather can be different. Some soaps are thirsty, but one never forgets that, at least I don't. Blades are the same. All of my DE blades are sharp and smooth, no matter the brand and all work the same. I only use GEM SS ptfe SE blades so no variation there.

OK, numbers:

Brushes, 25 total. The numbers won't add up because some are counted twice in different categories. That is, all of the travel brushes are also counted as boar, badger, or synthetic.
11 boars
7 travel brushes
5 synthetics
8 badger
1 hybrid badger/boar

Soaps/croaps/creams 45 total. The breakdown:
soaps/croaps 31
creams 14
I am in the process of reducing the number of these through attrition. I'm currently using up 3 (or is it 4?) soaps. Then I plan to start working my way through some creams. At least one cream is unopened and in inventory, and uncounted because it's not in the rotation (yet).

Razors, both SE and DE 20 total.
6 DE, and I may be mothballing 3 of these as they see no use anymore, or haven't in quite some time.
14 SE
Of course there are others in inventory that see no use, but I had plans for them at one time and some I still have plans for.

32 6,309
 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
Tom, if you want more elaboration, i accumulated many razors, but have sold most since getting the DLCs as nothing shaves me quite the same which is a bit unfortunate as many others were much more photogenic! Biggrin
The brushes i have acquired were principally for the handle colours which i knew would look interesting in my pics and provide variation as mentioned, previously. Nonetheless, they are all very comfortable to use and i really enjoy using them all. i also got them since i do like variation and had bought five of the original WSP Stubby 2-band knots and i needed handles for them. Blush

75 20,883
 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I've gone through many different items in terms of hardware and software over the last year. I've nicely settled on a few constants : Cobra Classic with Feather Pro, M&F 2-band, Myrsol AS. The only variable that changes regularly at this point is soap : Mystic Water, Mike's, JabonMan.
I have admittedly been rather fixated on getting different M&F brushes : I love these brushes and the different styles/colors allow for visual splendor in my den and permit variations in my SOTD pics. If I had to though, I could use just one the M&F brushes everyday ... only if I had too ... we all have weak spots! Blush

102 17,670
 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM
User Info
Brian, that's a nice stash of software. You mentioning mothballs conjures up memories of...mothballs. I like your comment of variety allowing you to return to an "old friend" in the rotation.

Celestino, I really do like your pictures and the Oscar11 Brown/Amber as well as the Elite Razor Desert Ironwood are beautiful handles and your pictures bring out different aspects of them everyday. It certainly is hard to beat a WSP knot and Weber razor, and I can understand how you would stick with them almost all the time. And you already know what I think of Mike's soap and unrefined shea butter...Smile

(06-28-2013, 08:23 PM)Agravic Wrote: I've gone through many different items in terms of hardware and software over the last year. I've nicely settled on a few constants : Cobra Classic with Feather Pro, M&F 2-band, Myrsol AS. The only variable that changes regularly at this point is soap : Mystic Water, Mike's, JabonMan.
I have admittedly been rather fixated on getting different M&F brushes : I love these brushes and the different styles/colors allow for visual splendor in my den and permit variations in my SOTD pics. If I had to though, I could use just one the M&F brushes everyday ... only if I had too ... we all have weak spots! Blush

The famous SOTDer's are confessing collection expansion to support their lovely photography! Wink

Ravi, I also truly enjoy your perspectives in your photos. You have not only a photogenic but very functional shave den.

47 1,270
 06-28-2013, 08:31 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thank you for your kind words, Tom! I am humbled by the compliments! Blush

102 17,670
 06-28-2013, 09:23 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have around 35 boar brushes by the big named boar makers. I only have 8 or 9 of them out for use at this time. I pick which brush I will use when I choose my soap or cream for the day. Example, I have 3 Vulfix 404 Grosvenor brushes and I use each one with a different product. I have a couple of brushes that I only use with a cream.

Right now the only razors out for use are a TI Le Grelot, Feather AC SS, Feather AS-D2 and a Feather Popular. I have several Schick Injectors but they are resting right now.

75% of the time I will use my TI Straight, one of the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor brushes, and either MWF or my grated Speick Sticks.

173 23,546
 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
My AD's have run their course and I've cut my collection down to save space...as for DE razors I only own one, which is a polished Weber/UFO Goliath combo. SE Razors consist of GEM 1912 Damaskeene, GEM OCMM, ER 1914 & ER 1924. I use the Weber about 75% of the time and the others occasionally just for something different. Brushes I have weeded down to 4 boar and 4 synthetic...the synths get 70-80% of the workload.

Soaps are a different matter and I have a couple dozen I rotate through...depending on mood and weather.

Edit: I forgot I also have one of those awful looking bare zinc Yuma razors tossed in a drawer. I received it as a free gift in a order I placed over a year ago and have never shaved with it...might have to do that tonight, I'm feeling a bit adventurous.

31 1,510
 06-29-2013, 08:56 AM
User Info
Interesting how, following the SOTD Superstars, Johnny and Arcadies share a similar story about having a go-to set-up with some time-tested items in the wings to call on for variety. Reminds me of a basketball team with Michael Jordan.

47 1,270
 06-29-2013, 10:43 AM
User Info
Tom, i am not sure who you are calling Superstars, but that is very funny! Biggrin
Also, i greatly appreciate and am humbled by your very kind words, my friend. However, i keep telling everyone that it is the camera and the arsenal with a bit of editing on my computer; nothing more! If i can do it, then i know anyone can!Blush
By the way, i am guilty of having a few DLCs, though, and my UFO handles rotate all the time. i rarely use the Black Bulldog handle as i reserve that for pics! i much prefer my UFO handles. They are the most elegant stainless steel handles i have seen, next to Bob's Mastiff's. Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-29-2013, 03:51 PM
User Info
(06-28-2013, 08:26 PM)kentclark Wrote: Brian, that's a nice stash of software. You mentioning mothballs conjures up memories of...mothballs.

Yes, it could conjure that memory up and that works. But the mothballs I actually refer to is of the "mothball fleet" after WW2 along the Hudson river. There were at least hundreds of blue water craft, no longer needed, but "mothballed" for the future. I have no idea what year they were sold to the Japanese to melt down, and if I did I'd be dating myself. Needless to say, it was many years ago. But I remember riding along the Hudson and seeing miles of these ships all tied up, row after row of them.

32 6,309
 06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
User Info
How interesting, Brian. I was not aware of that.

Celestino, those UFO handles really are works of art. Thank you for sharing them with us in your photography.

47 1,270
 06-29-2013, 07:14 PM
User Info
Sent PM instead so as not to hijack the thread.

32 6,309
 06-29-2013, 08:22 PM
User Info
(06-28-2013, 07:44 PM)kentclark Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 05:51 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: To be perfectly honest I have only in the past year (since finding this forum) acquired more shaving related goodies than I need. I really think the only reason I have done this is to have something different to photograph every day for the SOTD section.

(06-28-2013, 06:43 PM)celestino Wrote:

Thanks for your replies, Eric and Celestino, and quite unexpected! I didn't think about the desire for variety in one's SOTD posts. I do enjoy the pictures you both take.

Thank you kindly ! Please don't let the fact that I began collecting for the SOTD detract from the fact that by doing so it introduced me to some fine products that I might not have tried.
And since I am "MR Cheap" I try to let others know when I find something that is luxurious but at a value.

And of course some things get used far more often than others Smile

6 1,224
 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM
User Info
I never post in the "What's on the Deck" and very seldom post in the "SOTD" because I'm not able to shave every day. I also have some constants that cause my posts to be rather repetitious.

Constants:
2010 Muhle R41
Feather
Penhaligon's Shave Balm
Semogue SOC Boar Ash

I use the Semogue most days so I consider it to be a constant. Maybe I can trade up on the brushes in the future. Be nice to tidy up after your atypical beginners "AD" and get down to 2 brushes.

The Shave Nook LE currently on the drawing board & a Semogue SOC Boar in Rosewood would be Kooky. The Ash isn't very photogenic. Winky

Variables I Love:
Taylor Lavender Soap
Taylor Sandalwood Soap
D.R.Harris Arlington Soap
Trumpers Lime Cream

Variables That Are Just OK:
Pre de Province Soap (Jury's still out)
L'Occitane (Great for the skin, Boring)
Proraso Cream (Great stuff, boring scent)
Trumpers Coconut Cream (Too sweet)
Trumpers Almond Cream (Too sweet)
P160 (Great for the skin, Too sweet & Boring)
Bay Rum Soap I got from Phil (Smells Fantastic, doesn't lather very well)
Castle Forbes Lime Cream (A lesser product than the Trumpers in all areas)

Too many colognes to mention but I do have favorites and that is affected by the season.

1 622
 06-30-2013, 12:04 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
I love that I have reached the point where I have a great deal of variety (of things I like of course) in my den. I've cut out nearly all of the dead weight. For me it really adds to the experience. At this point, using the same products over and over would feel monotonous and I fear shaving would again feel like a chore. But that is just me at this point and I do bore easily.

In my den, I rotate through my tools as much as possible though there is no rhyme or reason (and definitely no process) to the order of use.

If something catches my fancy on a particular day, I use it. I just finished culling/selling off all of the items that I did not find myself reaching for at least once in a while.

In my den -
- ~45 straights (vintage, new, ancient, German, Japanese, American, Swedish, French - all get use)
- 10 DEs (only really use when in a time crunch or travelling; kept the R41, Fatips, Slant, New, Fatboy, Red Tip ++ and a few others when switching over to mostly straights)
- 3 SEs (rarely use but fun to pull out the Lather Catcher or Micromatic once in while)
- ~50 brushes (M&Fs, Rooneys, Simpsons, Shavemacs are most but I also have a few Semogues and Vie-Longs even an Omega bambito to mix it up).
- 20 soaps - dig the Italian croaps
- under 10 creams - won't be buying more once these are gone; definitely prefer soft or hard soaps
- 20+ Aftershaves - from Floid to Ferrari to Booster to Earth Organics. A decent variety of alcohol and non-alcohol AS.
- 3 scuttles
- ~10 naturals for honing straights - coticules, jnats + nagura, welsh slates, thuri. Also have a couple of synths and barber hones.
- 7 or 8 strops - different leathers and fabrics; mostly hanging but a paddle and a balsa one as well.

I do have some favorites but it would be really difficult to pick only a couple of each.
I could definitely get by with just a good 6/8 Solingen, a M&F face scrubber, some RazoRock croap and Proraso AS. But then I would miss the 7/8 Thiers Issard, the Diamond Hayashi, the Wade and Butcher FBU, the R41, the Progress, the Simpsons M7 Manchurian, the Shavemac Americana and the Floid Blue among others.
I see absolutely no fun in that. After already dealing with decades of dreading the shave, I ain't going back.

19 591
 06-30-2013, 06:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Never complain about being consistent. A good example is our own Nick (wknicholas).

Razors: Some kind of Schick Injector
Brush: 99% of the time, Semogue 1305
Soaps: Either MWF, TABAC, or grated Arko Stick
Mug: DB TSN 2012 LE Bill Bowl

Actually, Nick is probably the only one on here that has his chit together.Smile

And, I ain't no super star.Biggrin

173 23,546