04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I just received my gold Micromatic Bullet Tip razor in the mail today from John (Churchillafemme). It looks great and I can't wait to try it. I've only used DE razors so I'm looking for blade suggestions.

45 3,955
 04-13-2012, 06:50 PM
User Info
Unlike DE blades, there is less of a selection of SE blades. I prefer the Gem Stainless PTFE coated blades. They are available in bulk from Ted Pella and EMS. Many drug stores carry them also. Aside from the coated stainless blade, the Gem Blue Stars are very nice, but they are carbon steel and tend to rust after the first shave or two. I would hit a drug store and see what they have available. There are also Treet blades that people seem to like, but I havent used them.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from hardware store blades designed for box cutters etc. You will not enjoy them. Also, I have found Dorco SE blades to be horrible. Their DE blades arent too bad, but the SE blades leave a lot to be desired.

I haven't used a bullet tip, but the OCMM is one of my favorite shavers. Take your time and use a light touch. It took me a couple shaves to get the technique down. SE blades are thicker, have less flex, and provide a different shaving sensation.

18 568
 04-13-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
+1 everything Dale wrote.

CVS and Rite-Aid have GEM carbon steel SE blades. They are excellent blades, but they require drying off or oiling befire the first shave and after the shave. It's no big deal, it's just another step.

Walgreens has GEM SS ptfe blades.

Both of those options are expensive blades by comparison, but they'll get you going pretty quick.

When you decide you like the bullet tip and want more SE blades cheaply, at least inexpensive per blade, the Ted Pella stock number is 121-3. With FedEx charges 200 blades cost me $50/200. Lots of folks get more shaves per blade with SE than with DE. I get at least 14 shaves per blade, and sometimes quite a few more.

Have fun!

32 6,309
 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM
User Info
Travis, I'll send you a few Gem coated stainless blades to try. I meant to do that anyway, and forgot. They'll go in the mail tomorrow.

184 12,003
 04-13-2012, 07:51 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
So far I've tried the Gem coated stainless and Pal Blue Blades I find locally. Both gave great shaves, though my technique with SE still needs improving. So far I might prefer the Pal blades even though they are carbon steel.

35 1,732
 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks John I appreciate that.

45 3,955
 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
User Info
I need to try out the carbons I have and the stainless steel I have. I have not given the SEs a lot of love with my DE testing taking up so much time.

1 2,827