06-29-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
Has anyone used the big salt crystal deodorant?
Does it work?

Thanks,
Phil

7 363
 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I used the Crystal brand alum deodorant about a year ago, if that is what you're referring to, it burned the hell out of my underarms to the point of blistering and it took a couple of weeks to heal up..needless to say I threw it away.
I have no idea what happened, I've used alum blocks on my face with no ill effects, apparently I'm allergic to the type of alum in the deodorant.

31 1,510
 06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
User Info
If you refer to a potassium alum crystal block, yes. I use it after every shower. I dislike most scent that sticks to me and this does everything it should w/o scent.

32 6,309
 06-29-2013, 05:13 PM
User Info
I have been using a potassium alum stick under the arms for a couple years with good results.

47 1,270
 06-30-2013, 03:48 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've been using the Thai Crystal deoderant for years and it works great.

7 1,018
 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, a couple of months ago Ben was asking about deodorants and I recommended the mineral salt crystal deodorant. I am a big fan. Look here, at Post #12, for my response:

http://shavenook.com/thread-it-s-the-pits

2 11,211
 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I used to use the crystal deodorant but had problems occasionally because it is hard to tell when enough was applied. I have transitioned to a roll-on deodorant containing alum as I am able to apply it easier. I mix water, alum, aloe juice, tea tree oil and whatever essential oil I feel like and have zero odor issues even on the hottest of days (and it really got put to the test this last weekend). I formulated my recipe based on this article (recipe at bottom of page). http://www.aromantic.co.uk/natural-deodorant.htm

127 2,390
 07-03-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
Doesn't keep you any dryer than a gel or paste and doesn't smell like anything. I tossed mine in the trash.

Old Spice "Swagger" Gel Baby!!!

"Chairman" Approved!!! Biggrin

Jack Black Stick is even nicer but Karen brings the Swagger home so it goes on!

1 622
 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I just began using the Crystal around 5 or 6 weeks ago. It works great for me. Plus NO ALUMINUM.... It doesn't keep you as dry as an antiperspirant because it doesn't block up the pores in your under arm area. I will never go back..... HIGHLY RECOMENDED...

5 1,151
 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Been using Crystal since May (Ben's thread actually got me started). I really like it.

Just an FYI, it's a deodorant not an antiperspirant so you're gonna sweat, but you won't stink. Naturally if you don't want to sweat, you shouldn't be using a deodorant anyway.

14 1,177
 07-10-2013, 02:18 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(06-30-2013, 03:48 AM)Sully Wrote: I've been using the Thai Crystal deoderant for years and it works great.

Ditto...

It was a bit of a change to go from an antiperspirant to just the deodorant, but the idea of blocking the pores anywhere on my body concerned me. Been using Thai for a few years and works awesome.

BTW (unrelated), I also stopped using sun block because anything that goes ON the skin inevitably absorbs INTO the skin (the same philosophy that led me to the Thai deodorant). With deep olive skin I never really needed, or wanted to use sun block, but after seeing a brand name sun block strip the color from a plastic bucket, I completely gave up on it..

33 914
 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM
User Info
(07-09-2013, 06:24 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Been using Crystal since May (Ben's thread actually got me started). I really like it.

Just an FYI, it's a deodorant not an antiperspirant so you're gonna sweat, but you won't stink. Naturally if you don't want to sweat, you shouldn't be using a deodorant anyway.

Try shaving your armpits, I've found that when I do this and just use deodorant my shirts stay dryer under the arms. Hey, and it's one more area that you get to shave.

Clayton

6 617
 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(07-11-2013, 08:22 AM)chevyguy Wrote: Try shaving your armpits, I've found that when I do this and just use deodorant my shirts stay dryer under the arms. Hey, and it's one more area that you get to shave.

Clayton

+1

Although I wouldn't go as far as completely shaving them, I know some men do but...meh. I do however buzz mine about once a month with clippers and a #1 guard.
It gets the hair nice and low for cleanliness/comfort and you still look like a guy..also there is no nasty stubble to deal with.

31 1,510
 07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(07-11-2013, 08:22 AM)chevyguy Wrote:
(07-09-2013, 06:24 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Been using Crystal since May (Ben's thread actually got me started). I really like it.

Try shaving your armpits, I've found that when I do this and just use deodorant my shirts stay dryer under the arms. Hey, and it's one more area that you get to shave.

Clayton

I actually don't have any hair under my arms, or on my arms, or on my legs. Not sure why. I've always been told it's our native american genes that makes us all (my family) hairless. It also contributes to me only having to shave every other day, and sometimes getting away with not shaving for a week and looking like I just missed a day or two.

14 1,177
 09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
User Info
I switched to Crystal brand roll on back in December and haven't looked back.

I can't use Antiperspirant, the aluminum jacks me up (same with drinking from cans) Regular deodorant doesn't really do anything and needs to be reapplied a few times in the summer.

Since I switched to this I've had 0 problems sent wise.

0 46
 09-10-2013, 05:36 AM
User Info
I use a big piece of alum - potassium alum - every day. It took a little while getting used to, but works great.

3 3,580
 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
I use Crystal Rock Deodorant. It works fantastic. After I shower, I wet the stick and apply liberally. It lasts perfectly until the next day's shower. I use it because antiperspirant always ended up giving me a rash, no matter what the brand.

1 56
 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM
User Info
I am aware I am being a thread necromancer but why clutter the forum with more of the same threads?

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.iherb.com%2Fl%2FC...-1.jpg&f=1]

I received this as a secret Santa gift. It was on my wishlist but I will not buy it. The claims are that it lasts a year. It is alum. It deodorizes because it supposedly kills the bacteria which cause bad odor. Other than that it has no scent. There are no antiperspirant effects. You keep on sweating like a pig. Anyways it is useless for covering armpit odor. During these very cold Chicago winters I find myself always showering nightly as to prevent dry skin. I apply the Crystal nightly, go to sleep and the next day I wake up I smell again. Absolutely useless. This is in stark contrast with the non-natural anti-antiperspirant I regularly use. As Crystal is just alum it can be used for shaving purposes and that is the only purpose I am willing to recommend it for. It costs about $5 and is easily obtainable.

18 713
 01-21-2015, 02:53 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
At least the label does not lie. It claims to be a deodorant not an antiperspirant. Most of what we call deodorants are really products that are both an antiperspirant and deodorant combined. Yes, it does work well used post shave.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-21-2015, 03:49 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
There is no link to using alums and dementia, so saying "No Aluminium" is really like saying "No Black in this Milk" or something like that; it creates the idea that because something isn't there, it must therefore be safe when it already was. The issue regarding aluminium in cosmetics and such, and health/cancer/dementia was widely thought to be true and fear/panic abounded. It was a bit like the alleged link between vaccination and autism: wasn't true; totally disproven and caused a LOT of damage to infants, some of whom died.

Anyway, Potassium Alum is one thing, Ammonium Alum another. The latter is much stronger and is frequently passed of as "Natural Crystal" often in expensive health food stores. Some companies don't even list what variety of alum it is, replying on the use of the benign-sounding 'natural'... so, caveat emptor....be careful. Ammonium Alum  MIGHT be ok for you, your pits and face, but others suffer burning. Potassium alum is usually naturally occurring (dug up); the latter is an industrial chemical by-product. Potassium Alum is often found to be more gentle on those more sensitive areas...however, YMMV....

0 1,625