06-29-2013, 11:18 AM
  • if6was9
  • Mentor to Worlds Most Interesting Man
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
My new Georgetown Pottery G5 scuttle just arrived - SEVEN weeks after ordering it!!! The people at GP were courteous and responsive to my queries throughout the wait. After confirming that it'd arrive two weeks ago a production problem delayed it another two weeks after that confirmation. The advertised three to five weeks is a long time to wait but seven weeks seemed interminable!

The G5 is a really nice scuttle though and I'm happy with the purchase. The craftsmanship is evident and the glaze/coloring is beautiful.

I tried it out this AM and it worked great. The lather stayed nice and warm but heat from the almost boiling H2O caused the lather in the bowl to break down a bit. However, the lather that was on the brush kept its proper consistency. I'll have to fiddle around with adjusting the water temp.

One criticism is that the lip which is designed to keep lather from overflowing from the bowl could be a little more pronounced.

Evidently my G5 is one of the last that GP is sending out as they are discontinuing the model. It will be replaced by another design that they said will be easier to make.

0 49
 06-29-2013, 12:56 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the new scuttle!
Well, i guess i am going to say it, firstly, but, "it didn't happen without pics", so......Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
Ah yes, I'm in agreement as "seeing is believing" is my philosophy too! Stand by... pics a comin'

Here it is:
[Image: 3iITGvf.jpg]

0 49
 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
That's a great looking scuttle.

183 12,002
 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
(06-29-2013, 01:39 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: That's a great looking scuttle.

Thanks. To commpensate me for the long wait (7 weeks) GP gave me the pewter tipped stopper which normally comes with their G20 scuttle. The G5 ordinarily comes with a plain rubber stopper. I think it adds a nice touch to the look of the piece.

0 49
 06-29-2013, 03:17 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful scuttle. Congratulations and use it well.

100 12,437
 06-29-2013, 03:24 PM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
(06-29-2013, 03:17 PM)slantman Wrote: Beautiful scuttle. Congratulations and use it well.

Thank you!

0 49
 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM
User Info
Beautiful color! I'm waiting to hear what people think of the new scuttle GP will be making. I'm very interested in trying one out!

10 96
 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
(07-06-2013, 05:32 PM)strohman Wrote: Beautiful color! I'm waiting to hear what people think of the new scuttle GP will be making. I'm very interested in trying one out!

Me too, I'm really curious about what GP will design as a replacement for the G5. Maybe I should have waited? Nah!I really like the on that I have.

0 49
 07-06-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
(06-29-2013, 02:00 PM)if6was9 Wrote:

Thanks. To commpensate me for the long wait (7 weeks) GP gave me the pewter tipped stopper which normally comes with their G20 scuttle. The G5 ordinarily comes with a plain rubber stopper. I think it adds a nice touch to the look of the piece.

Congratulations on the fancy stopper. I also received mine after 7 weeks of waiting, but I only got the ordinary stopperSad. I have two G5's now. One of the reasons I love them is because you can soak your brush and then dump out the water without loosing the inner water. I also use boiling water, but mine sits for a bit before use so it winds up being the perfect temperature.

0 41
 07-06-2013, 06:44 PM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
(07-06-2013, 06:25 PM)Gone Gray Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 02:00 PM)if6was9 Wrote:

Congratulations on the fancy stopper. I also received mine after 7 weeks of waiting, but I only got the ordinary stopperSad. I have two G5's now. One of the reasons I love them is because you can soak your brush and then dump out the water without loosing the inner water. I also use boiling water, but mine sits for a bit before use so it winds up being the perfect temperature.

I requested the pewter stopper when I was told that I'd have to wait another two weeks after the promised five weeks had passed. I offered to pay extra for it but they gave it to me for being patient!

After finding that the boiling water affected the lather I tried hot tap water but it wasn't quite hot enough. I'm going to try adding the boiling water before I take a shower and see if the temp drops enough so that it won't destroy the lather. How long do you let it sit?

BTW, I ordered a UFO Zeus razor handle and that'll take six weeks too! Waiting is a bitch!

0 49
 07-06-2013, 08:14 PM
User Info
I add boiling water to the inner and outer bowl and then get into the shower. When I get out, I drop my brush in the scuttle to soak for a couple of minutes (dropping a brush in very hot water will damage the hairs) while I dry off and do a couple of other things. I then dump out the outer bowl's water, put a dollop of cream in the bowl and give it a swirl...this warms the cream and gets it thoroughly into the brush, but most of my lathering is done on the face.

Some complain that the G5 will not hold the heat as well as other scuttles, but I think that's because it's so thick it absorbes the heat. Once heated up, it will hold the heat longer than any other scuttle I've tried.

BTW, I ordered a UFO Zeus razor handle and that'll take six weeks too! Waiting is a bitch!
[/quote]

Yeah, you end up feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Or, like in the old days (I'm dating myself) when you had to send off a letter and a check to buy something and then wait for the mail delivery everyday looking for that package and always wondering if it would every arrive.

0 41
 07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
(07-06-2013, 08:14 PM)Gone Gray Wrote: I add boiling water to the inner and outer bowl and then get into the shower. When I get out, I drop my brush in the scuttle to soak for a couple of minutes (dropping a brush in very hot water will damage the hairs) while I dry off and do a couple of other things. I then dump out the outer bowl's water, put a dollop of cream in the bowl and give it a swirl...this warms the cream and gets it thoroughly into the brush, but most of my lathering is done on the face.

Some complain that the G5 will not hold the heat as well as other scuttles, but I think that's because it's so thick it absorbes the heat. Once heated up, it will hold the heat longer than any other scuttle I've tried.

Yeah, you end up feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Or, like in the old days (I'm dating myself) when you had to send off a letter and a check to buy something and then wait for the mail delivery everyday looking for that package and always wondering if it would every arrive.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info and I lived through the snail mail days too. Imagine what waiting for a post must have been like in the days before the railroad?

0 49
 07-07-2013, 07:41 AM
User Info
Very Nice! Smile

1 622
 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
(07-07-2013, 07:41 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Very Nice! Smile

Thanks!

0 49
 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM
  • ajw1297
  • Milwaukee, Wisconsin
User Info
Good looking scuttle there, I love the color scheme on those and have been eyeing one up myself for awhile now however it looks like I will have to go with the G12.

0 24
 09-01-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
That is a fine looking scuttle and congratulations! You are also going to enjoy that UFO handle as they are simply stunning! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-01-2013, 10:47 PM
User Info
Fine looking scuttle! If I weren't afraid of dropping and breaking one, I'd get one.

5 938
 09-02-2013, 05:07 AM
  • if6was9
  • Palm Harbor, Florida
User Info
(08-28-2013, 12:17 PM)ajw1297 Wrote: Good looking scuttle there, I love the color scheme on those and have been eyeing one up myself for awhile now however it looks like I will have to go with the G12.

Thanks. The colors of the G5 really go well together; those GP people are talented!

(09-01-2013, 09:06 PM)celestino Wrote: That is a fine looking scuttle and congratulations! You are also going to enjoy that UFO handle as they are simply stunning! Biggrin

Thanks. Almost 12 weeks after ordering the UFO Zeus, I'm at the point to where I'm waiting at the mailbox like a puppy!

(09-01-2013, 10:47 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Fine looking scuttle! If I weren't afraid of dropping and breaking one, I'd get one.

Thanks. Every time I pick it up I'm concerned about dropping it but more concerned when someone else handles it!

0 49
 09-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The G5 is now discontinued and replaced with the G12 which has a larger water supply but is not bigger then the G5. The G20 is still in production.

100 12,437