06-29-2013, 05:58 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Has anyone ever heard of or used Moss Hill shaving soap? It looks like it comes from Louisville, and per the website you can get it in "Blue" or Bourbon scents. I just happened across a tub of the Blue shaving soap and have only test lathered it. It smells nice and whips up a nice lather, but I need to shave with it before reviewing it. Anyone from the Louisville area know this stuff? Here is the manufacturer's website:

https://www.mosshill.net/

Oh yeah, ingredients:

Sodium cocoate, sodium palmate, castor seed oil, safflower seed oil, glycerine, water, sorbitol, sorbitan oleate, soybean protein, fragrance, colorant, and titanium dioxide.

43 1,690
 06-30-2013, 05:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Be interested in your review after you try it.

173 23,535
 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Well, my first shave with the Moss Hill Blue was a good one. Not having heard of this soap and not having anything to do with the purchase of it, my expectations were quite low. It's funny that I actually expected it to be a bad soap. But it is not a bad soap. In fact, I may end up deciding that it's quite good. The scent is nice and fresh, there enough to enjoy during the shave but gone by the time I splashed on my aftershave. Apparently they make 2 scents - Blue and Kentucky Bourbon. I will probably fork over the $7.50 for a puck of the Kentucky Bourbon just to see what it's all about.

I whipped up a nice, rich, thick, non-foamy lather quite easily with my Wee Scot as you can see below. This lather was achieved just from loading the brush. It improved even further when I worked it on my face and added a little water. It lacked slightly in slickness, which may be a factor of how much water I added. I need to use it a little bit more. The lather was very stable. I didn't notice any dissipation during my shave.

I had a very good shave with it. I really put it to the test by shaving with a 2011 Muhle R41 with a new Bolzano blade loaded. The result was smooth with no irritation - and I can't argue with these results.

I splashed on some Myrsol Blue afterward, and my face has felt great all day - no need for a balm or moisturizer.

I plan on using this soap some more, and as I said trying their Kentucky Bourbon scent.

[Image: 9175466304_905f026bf5_b.jpg]

[Image: 9173240279_b0a8728f53_b.jpg]

[Image: 9175461298_4d3ac4a215_b.jpg]

43 1,690
 06-30-2013, 12:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Andrew.

173 23,535
 06-30-2013, 12:28 PM
User Info
What was the scent like?

19 631
 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Their website says this about their Blue fragrance:

"A fresh clean blend of musk, sandalwood and lemon."

That's pretty much what I get from it, but the scents are blended such that they balance each other out. I don't feel like it's a sandalwood based scent, nor a citrusy scent, nor musky. It is light and clean, and the scents work together nicely.

43 1,690
 07-04-2013, 09:18 PM
User Info
The lather looks just perfect!

10 605