07-01-2013, 03:41 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
SO, a few months back I bought a Kamisori. Haven't even honed it yet because I didn't want a honed razor kicking around with no protection for the blade....so I'm working on a stand for it

Since this is my first real woodworking project, and my first razor stand, I thought I should ask opinions of the design I have in mind, make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious Blush

Here's the layout:
(explanations below)
[Image: DigitalMockUp.png][Image: DigitalMockUp2.png]
Pardon the mixed up textures and stuff, I just drew this up in Gimp and used the stock textures to fill things as close as possible. And for the razor.....well, I layed it on the monitor and traced it out LOL

Basic idea is a flat base with 3 vertical supports.
The base will be about 2.5"x7" and the tallest support is around 2" tall.
The base is a 1/2" strip of bloodwood sandwiched between two 1" strips of tigerwood.
Each vertical piece will be a pair of 1/2"x1/4" pieces of bloodwood, spaced 3/8" apart. Then there will be a 1/4"x1/4" square peg of tigerwood passing through to create the rests.

Numbering the vertical supports left to right:
1- For the blade end, the peg will have a V cut into it to hold the blade end where it tapers out to the spine
2- This will be placed slightly rear of the balance point, to keep the blade end wanting to stay down
3- The peg on this one will go above the handle, preventing it from lifting past a certain point, so the actual blade will never be able to hit the base

Usage:
Putting the razor in; slide the handle under the peg in support 3, lay it down on support 2, slide forward into the V in support 1 (this was the main reason for this design. I've seen a lot of others where the whole blade just gets lowered straight into a cutout in the wood and I'm sure at some point I'd hit the blade against the wood lowering it in like that)
Taking the razor out; grab between supports 2 and 3, slide back just a bit and lift the blade end out

If this works like I'm picturing, supports 1 and 2 alone could hold the razor comfortably with the handle exposed, but if it slipped off support 1 the toe would hit wood. Or, supports 2 and 3 could hold the razor by balance only, but leaving the blade a little too exposed for my liking

So, if you've read this far, and have any experience making these things, is there anything I've missed/forgotten to consider? Any tips would be appreciated Biggrin

BTW, this is as far as I've gotten so far: the 3 pieces for the base are assembled, just needs to be cut down a little (the gap on the left will be cut off and the other end needs straightening....this was all scrap wood from a friend)
[Image: KamisoriStand_Base_SaturatedWhole.jpg]
This was with the wood wet...I need to figure out what kind of finish will keep it dark like that, but not get all shiny. I love how it looks all old and rustic this way

10 411
 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM
User Info
I find it difficult to give you my opinion looking at a two dimensional drawing, maybe a little mock up model will make your idea come to life and then we could offer up some helpful hints, you never know how these little projects turn out until you build them, I'm a Carpenter by trade, and a good finish would be Danish oil, very protective yet not to shiny, a simple case of apply with a soft cotton rag then a few minutes later buff off with a lint free cloth.

Jamie

5 1,805
 07-01-2013, 04:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I am terrible at working with wood but I understood everything I just read and your concept. That sounds like it would work quite well for what you want. When you get through with it you should have a small functional beautiful piece of furniture.

You might PM mycarver. He is a genius at working with wood.

173 23,481
 07-01-2013, 04:56 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Jamie, I added the third dimension view for you LOL
I know it's not what you meant, but maybe it'll help clear things up......carpenters start most jobs with blueprints, right? Tongue
Thanks for the tip on the Danish oil though, I'll look into that one

Johnny, Thanks Biggrin
I figure mycarver will probably see the post eventually (I have a few days waiting for some tools to arrive before I can go further anyway). That man does some amazing work....didn't wanna bug him directly, but I'll gladly take any advice he feels like offering up Biggrin

10 411
 07-02-2013, 02:10 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Second the Danish Oil.. easy to work with. It will make the figure in the wood pop.

I am working on a box to store straight razors. It's an insert that will go into a draw in a chest. Blood Wood and Figured Maple. It's going to get a Danish Oil finish once done.

33 914
 07-02-2013, 05:33 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I did a lot of googling last night, the danish oil definitely looks like a good choice. I'll pick some up and test it on some of the scraps to make sure, but it looks promising

btw, if anyone's looking to make anything wood related, bellforestproducts.com has 20% off just about everything until 7/12 with coupon code JULY4
Their shipping isn't the cheapest out there, but they've got a huge selection of stuff, some precut to 1/8" thickness for razor scales even Thumbsup

10 411
 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM
User Info
I like your design and choice of wood including the mixture, I'm sure it will look perfectly suited to your Kamisori, I will drop you this link and maybe you will be able to gain some hints and design elements you may wish to incorporate into your design.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=japane...1&imgdii=_

Jamie.

5 1,805
 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Thanks Jamie, it was pure luck, these were the two scrap piece I had that fit the size I needed, but I like how they go together too Smile

I had thought about making the supports similar to a katana stand, but that would really only end up working for supports 1 and 2, wouldn't help much on the third one since that needs the peg to go over top of the handle. Thanks for the thought though

10 411
 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Well, I decided to throw caution to the wind and just jump right in, rather than doing a mock up.

Marked out the location for the stands, drilled then chiseled them out. Not that a structure of this size, holding only the weight of a razor, needs to be this sturdy....but as this is also a lesson in wordworking for me, I decided the stands would pass all the way through the base.

Colors are a mess, taken with a cell phone, but here's where I'm at if anyone's curious

[Image: Kamisori_Base_Chiseling.jpg]

And here an attempt at showing how the razor looks with the wood. Keep in mind, aside from colors being a little wonky, the base will be darker once finished
[Image: Kamisori_Base_WithKamisori.jpg]

Next steps:
-Make the 6 vertical posts and 3 "cross beams". Make the posts long so I can decide on final height
-Decide if I'm going to cut the base down to a 1/2" thickness once I see if 3/4" still looks too thick once the posts are in place
-Clean up my sloppy chisel work with some filing/sanding
-Clean up the sides/ends of base
-Assemble

To ensure the posts fill the holes in the base and are snug while gluing, I'll be going with this type of a joint, with a single wedge in the center:
[Image: 12155_5F00_jointworks.jpg][Image: bed%20backcornrdet.jpg]

10 411
 07-05-2013, 10:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great. I like to see a work in progress. Can't wait to see the finished product.

173 23,481
 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM
User Info
Your project seems to be moving along very nicely, I like those decorative wedges in the tenon joint along with the dowel pegged and glue it becomes a very strong joint, another decorative joint would be an extended tenon with a small removable wedge fixing.

Jamie.

[Image: 1837b57e-4ef4-423d-bdc1-0eacf76fe6ac_zps62c4635e.jpg]

5 1,805
 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Jamie,
Since these will be on the bottom of my piece, I'll probably just use matching wood for the wedges....it'll be more structural than decorative.

But, I LOVE the looks of that joint you suggested! That would look great for where the cross beams pass through the upright posts.....only problem is, those are only 1/4" wide, I'm not sure if I could pull it off on something that small Undecided
I'm definitely going to give it a try though, it will be a great finishing touch if I can pull it off. Would add just a little bit of bulk to the posts, making the 2 1/2" wide base not look so....excessive.

Hmmmmm....I wonder how purpleheart pegs would look next to the bloodwood posts

10 411
 07-06-2013, 10:55 PM
User Info
Daryl, I'm thinking those little tusk tenon wedges will definitely give the stand a very Japanese look, but if it proves unworkable then there absolutely nothing wrong with your first design, so you can't really fail.

Jamie.

5 1,805