04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I admit it, the chance purchase of Alt Innsbruck from Phil a while back was probably one of the best decisions I've made in regards to wet shaving. It feels and smells fantastic and leaves me face feeling great.

The only problem though is some days I just feel like an alternate scent. My only other A/S are Old Spice Classic and Ogalla Bay Rum and Sandalwood, and frankly, since the hot weather is in full effect in New Mexico, those warmer scents just are not appealing. Plus, I might just be addicted to that menthol kick.

I've yet to grow into the idea of colognes, which is another reason why I enjoy the Alt, it works as both without too strong of a scent. What I'm looking for are suggestions for similar A/S-Colognes that work well with hot summer days. I've been looking at the Shave Dens exclusive stuff as well as Proraso and La Toja, but want to hear what this community thinks as well.

35 1,733
 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
Anthony, while not a clone, I'd try Speick. Fresh, herbal scent and really nice healing properties to boot. Good luck!
EDIT: La Toja is very nice as well!

73 4,338
 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM
User Info
RazoRock AS. Some of the best stuff I've ever tired and Menthol a plenty.Tongue

9 1,208
 04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
It's pricier @ $50 +- on EBAY, but Guerlain Imperiale is a classic,light floral scent I really enjoy ( when I can afford it.)
Another classic is 4711-which Phil has on sale.
It's an old german scent with quite a history attached. It was kept in production during WW2 and issued to unterzeebootmen of the Kriegsmarine.I was acquainted with this older gentleman. When he learned I was a former seaman the stories came out his sons didn't want to hear. He was a Uboat man and later commanded a shnellboot, or E boat when a ear injury made presure dives dangerous.
4711 was used to counter the horrific stench in a submarine. But many sailors found the combination even worse and preferrred to save it for their wives and sweethearts on leave.He said the smell still made him nauseous after 70 years! He came from a tradition of naval service and was a commissioned officer when Hitler came to power. It was a tough choice between duty,family and his aversion to warSad

2 3,171
 04-14-2012, 11:14 PM
User Info
Ive yet to find anything close to Alt in scent and in longevity.
If you want to try another quite unique and very different After shave you might want to look at Porter's After Shave Lotion.
Different it certainly is! Scent is probably more akin to a muscle rub but its a man smell for sure and it leaves the skin feeling very soft almost as if its been lightly oiled.
I wear it when I have an early morning tee time at the golf club and when I want something non scenty on my face.
Keeps the flies away in the Summer as wellSmile
regards, beejay

0 39
 04-15-2012, 04:57 PM
User Info
Alt Innsbruck is the overlord of after shaves, nothing can stand beside it, but I as well don't want to use it everyday. I use 4711, Proraso (splash & lotion), St. Lucia Bay Rum (best BR IMO) and Thayers on occasion.

I would love to find a AS that was on the same level as AI, but it's really hard to find an AS that makes you say, OMG this is the greatest thing ever created! So, if you can locate another AS that gives you that feeling, please let me know.

10 451
 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM
  • du212
  • ne quid nimis
  • Northern Spain
User Info
Alt Innsbruck is some kind of original and genuine, it's like a good bay rum, simple but outstanding. With only the essential oil of tobacco leafs and flowers its scent is different from the other aftershaves and the menthol has been added generously... the result is a cold bomb with a complex scent .... difficult to pair with other product. Maybe the british aftershaves are simmilar (Mr. Taylor's, T&H Lotions,...) but they can't give you a menthol kick as the Alt Innsbruck.

By the menthol kick Floïd vigoroso or the Osage Rub are simmilar, and by the scent Tabac is in the A.I. style but its scent is more powerful.

0 89
 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I DON'T need a scent comparable to Alt Innsbuk. The solution to Al Innsbruk is more Alt Innsbruk stashed in the closet.
However, It is still one spice in the kitchen, one CD
of Mozart and one beer on the menu.
The search is half the fun.

2 3,171
 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I agree that AI is in a class of it's own, and I'm certainly not trying to replace it. I just want something with a lasting scent and menthol kick to use after my soaps/creams that don't match up as well with AI. I'm leaning most towards either 4711, Floid Vigoroso, or something from The Shave Den Shop with menthol added, maybe lime/coconut/verbena?

35 1,733
 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 04:29 PM)Tonality Wrote: I agree that AI is in a class of it's own, and I'm certainly not trying to replace it. I just want something with a lasting scent and menthol kick to use after my soaps/creams that don't match up as well with AI. I'm leaning most towards either 4711, Floid Vigoroso, or something from The Shave Den Shop with menthol added, maybe lime/coconut/verbena?

4711 is neither mentholated nor strong, so probably not the best choice.

32 297
 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(04-16-2012, 06:22 PM)Aaron622 Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 04:29 PM)Tonality Wrote: I agree that AI is in a class of it's own, and I'm certainly not trying to replace it. I just want something with a lasting scent and menthol kick to use after my soaps/creams that don't match up as well with AI. I'm leaning most towards either 4711, Floid Vigoroso, or something from The Shave Den Shop with menthol added, maybe lime/coconut/verbena?

I could have sworn it was mentholated, guess I know now. Thanks for the heads up!

35 1,733
 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 06:30 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 06:22 PM)Aaron622 Wrote:

I could have sworn it was mentholated, guess I know now. Thanks for the heads up!

Maybe it was at one point, but the bottle I had wasn't.
Ingredients: alcohol, aqua, butylene glycol, parfum, benzophenone-3, eg-6 caprylic/capric glycerides, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, citric acid, c.i.42090 (FD&C blue no.1), CI 600730 (Ext.D&C violet no. 2), CI 19140 (FD&C yellow no. 5).

32 297
 04-18-2012, 05:54 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I decided to try out Speick AS Splash and Floid Vigoroso since I like Floid Blue, and it had more menthol than Suave. We shall see how things turn out!

35 1,733