07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
Browsing around connaughtshaving looking for a Muhle 2.0 syn and saw that Omega supposedly has a new synthetic fibre brush. Wonder is this is the 3rd or 4 generation fibers or maybe something altogether new.

Link to connaughtshaving Omegas

3 68
 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
I saw that and was to buy instead of Muhle new fibre but in the end went with muhle. Thou I am curious how it will perform

11 861
 07-03-2013, 12:47 PM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
(07-03-2013, 12:31 PM)celar36 Wrote: I saw that and was to buy instead of Muhle new fibre but in the end went with muhle. Thou I am curious how it will perform

I have the Muhle 1.0 (the fibers are too long) and wanted to try the 2.0, but saw these and that stopped me from ordering the muhle, Just thought I would check in to see if anyone has used one yet.

3 68
 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I saw those on Connaught last week, I was tempted to buy the beautiful wooden handled one, but remembered how cheap Omega handles usually are and that stopped me. If I knew it was well sealed/oiled I'd most likely buy one.
I am a bit wary as I already have a wooden handled Omega that, upon the first use, started peeling it's coating and allowing water to soak into the wood. Angry

31 1,510
 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
(07-03-2013, 01:28 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I saw those on Connaught last week, I was tempted to buy the beautiful wooden handled one, but remembered how cheap Omega handles usually are and that stopped me. If I knew it was well sealed/oiled I'd most likely buy one.
I am a bit wary as I already have a wooden handled Omega that, upon the first use, started peeling it's coating and allowing water to soak into the wood. Angry

One of the synthetic with wood handle has the same handle as the 11137 model.
I have the 11137 and it is quite nicely made.

6 808
 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
I'm curious, too. I just ordered one with the black & clear handle (No. 0140634).

0 254
 07-04-2013, 05:26 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(07-03-2013, 01:28 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I saw those on Connaught last week, I was tempted to buy the beautiful wooden handled one, but remembered how cheap Omega handles usually are and that stopped me. If I knew it was well sealed/oiled I'd most likely buy one.
Hmmm... I have the 6126 Ovkango wooden one, no problems...

5 2,006
 07-04-2013, 06:08 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(07-04-2013, 05:26 PM)Mouser Wrote: Hmmm... I have the 6126 Ovkango wooden one, no problems...

I was referring to their cheaper non-badger brushes, which are more often than not, cheap hollow plastic or poorly treated wood...I wouldn't expect a badger or $30+ brush to start peeling or soaking in water, otherwise I would have been demanding a refund.
The brush I have that started peeling and soaking in water is a 10005, granted it is a cheap brush, but it still should have been well oiled/coated and able to withstand more than 1 shave before taking on water.

Regardless, between the 10005 and a Semogue Italian Barber LE that started cracking on me..non-stablized wooden handles have left a bad taste in my mouth and I believe I will avoid them from this point forward.

31 1,510
 07-05-2013, 03:56 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(07-04-2013, 06:08 PM)Arcadies Wrote:
(07-04-2013, 05:26 PM)Mouser Wrote: Hmmm... I have the 6126 Ovkango wooden one, no problems...

I was referring to their cheaper non-badger brushes, which are more often than not, cheap hollow plastic or poorly treated wood...I wouldn't expect a badger or $30+ brush to start peeling or soaking in water, otherwise I would have been demanding a refund.
The brush I have that started peeling and soaking in water is a 10005, granted it is a cheap brush, but it still should have been well oiled/coated and able to withstand more than 1 shave before taking on water.

Regardless, between the 10005 and a Semogue Italian Barber LE that started cracking on me..non-stablized wooden handles have left a bad taste in my mouth and I believe I will avoid them from this point forward.
You're right.I didn't think that out before I posted did I? In fact my first brush was an Omega boar and while the knot is a very good boar knot,the handle is a cheap plastic that has cracked in several places. So it's not just a wood problem with them. Their boars are great knots, suspect handles. At least that's my anecdotal conclusion.

5 2,006
 07-05-2013, 08:27 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Water damage is not inherantly an Omega issue...I love wood handles and own quite a few brushes made from various types of wood, both stabilized and not, and have had infiltration issues in quite a few of them. Wood is inherantly porous and even the best attempts at sealing it can fail with repeated use. I have a beautiful Stabilized Buckeye Burl from Rudy Vey that I've had for 4 years and it has signs of water infiltration - Stabilized! That said, though, I would not want to trade this brush for anything as it has an intrinsic beauty all its own. Add to it that the infiltarion doesn't affect the lathering at all, so, for me, the point is moot. The water adds another dynamic to the beauty of the brush...

I've learned that if you soak the brush knot about 3/4 of the way up the bristle that it less likely that water will affect the handle...

One of the best boar brushes I ever used had a horrendously swollen and infiltrated handle, and it was a Semougue 1460.

68 1,416