04-14-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
This is a review of a new synthetic brush called the H.I.S. Shaving Brush.

The distributor is a company called Artist Brushstrokes and they can be reached at: http://www.artistbrushstrokes.com

Additional information can be found here: http://fmtbrush.com/fmt/index.php/cosmet...brush.html

Now to the review. When I saw this brush recently I thought that it would be similar to the Franks Synthetic (FS) that I enjoy. I noted that it had more of a whiteness at the where the FS had black tips. So I went on to Amazon and ordered the brush. The cost was $32.50 with shipping so I was interested in what I would receive since I had never saw any reviews on this brush before.

So I received the brush and was surprised at the size. I normally like brushes with knots in the 20-25mm range. This brush was large compared to what I am used to using. Here is a comparison to the FS.

[Image: 6930917868_706cee952e_b.jpg]

Here are pictures of the H.I.S. Brush.

[Image: 7077100443_707755f182_b.jpg]

Here is another view compared to the FS brush.

[Image: 7077096059_ae25aedd10_b.jpg]

The second thing I noticed was that is looked more like a Silvertip Badger than the other synthetics. The brush is dense in fact it is much denser than any other brush I have. Now that I have this brush, it is time to see how it performs.

Once I got use to the size, I found this to be a very good brush in terms of application. I was able to negotiate the ears and quickly apply lather to the back of my head for the head shave.

Here were some areas that I observed about the H.I.S. brush.

Water retention: Does it hold water sufficiently enough?
Yes - In fact you need to shake it lightly about 3 times or you could have too much water. This holds water exceptionally well due to the density and quantity of fibers.

Loading: Does it pick up soaps and creams easily?
Yes - It is very efficient. A little soap or cream goes a long way.

Lather: Does it built and apply lather well?
Yes - It is a real lather monster.

I used it with Fitness Soap in a mug. It made enough lather for 4 1/2 thick face passes (2 of them I simply wiped off because I had finished face shaving). Then it made 2 full head shave passes with thick lather. Afterwards, I was able to squeeze the brush and get a larger wad of lather at the finger and thumb. This amount of lather was made with one dip into water with a three shake to reduce moisture and only 2 swirls to pick up the soap. No additional water or soap was used. I also used it with a nickel sized drop of C.O. Bigelow cream and got the same results. I think the density of the brush fibers is so high that it creates a very strong lather production due to the fibers moving against each other.

Application: Does it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin.
Yes - The lather went on smooth and easy every time.

Quality feel: Does the synthetic brush have the “quality” feel against the skin? Would it pass a blindfold test against naturals?
It has a soft quality feel against the skin. The H.I.S. Synthetic does not feel like a badger, but is very soft. It is much softer than a boar. It may be close to a horse hair in softness. It would not pass a blindfold test against naturals, but is soft and just because it does not feel exactly like natural in no way deducts from the quality of the brush.

[edit] Testing against my Silvertip Badger displays that this brush is as soft at the tips.

Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive? Yes.
I like the simplicity of the faux ebony resin handle.

One additional thing about synthetics is that you can be a little more rough with them versus natural hairs and not have a problem with them. They will not bloom or change shape. In my experience I have found is, what you get with a synthetic is a uniform product that does not change over time. That has pluses and minuses which each user must determine for themselves if a synthetic is right for them.

In conclusion, would I recommend this brush to others.
Yes! In fact, I have ordered a backup brush because I like this one so well. You might just want to give this brush some consideration if you are looking for a nice synthetic brush in the mid price range.

1 2,827
 04-14-2012, 12:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the review,Gary!

A couple questions :

1.How does it performs with facelathering and circular movements?

2.Does it has a lot of backbone or just regular?

I think that I would have to order one,but that brush is a monster brush.

86 7,123
 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
(04-14-2012, 12:29 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks for the review,Gary!

A couple questions :

1.How does it performs with facelathering and circular movements?

2.Does it has a lot of backbone or just regular?

I think that I would have to order one,but that brush is a monster brush.

On facelathering: I did just that using Palmolive stick and it was able to lather 3 face passes from one application of soap to the face and it produced a thick head shave coating to boot. At the end I was still be able to wring out enough lather at the end to surround my index finger and thumb so there was plenty left to go. Could have had another face and or head pass if I desired. It passed the circular motion test as well. It was really able to better face lather than the Franks Shaving brush which is one of my favorites.

Because of the density and quantity of fibers this thing has a lot of backbone. That is where it resembles a horse hair brush, like the ones I got from Bestshave rather than a badger.

1 2,827
 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Well that settles it!! Thanks as always GDC!!

116 3,804
 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
Am I blind or what?! I can't find this brush on their site.

31 7,914
 04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Gary of the two, which do you prefer more, the H.I.S. or the Frank Shaving, and why?

2 11,211
 04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
 04-14-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
(04-14-2012, 02:00 PM)freddy Wrote: Gary of the two, which do you prefer more, the H.I.S. or the Frank Shaving, and why?

With my limited use it is the H.I.S. over the FS because even though it is larger, it is more dense and that I think that makes it hold water better, create thicker lather that is more consistent. I don't like the larger brushes as a rule, but this one won me over. I have ordered a second brush and I am interest to see if it is of equal measure to the first since they are said to be hand made (knot?).

1 2,827
 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(04-14-2012, 03:08 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(04-14-2012, 02:00 PM)freddy Wrote: Gary of the two, which do you prefer more, the H.I.S. or the Frank Shaving, and why?

With my limited use it is the H.I.S. over the FS because even though it is larger, it is more dense and that I think that makes it hold water better, create thicker lather that is more consistent. I don't like the larger brushes as a rule, but this one won me over. I have ordered a second brush and I am interest to see if it is of equal measure to the first since they are said to be hand made (knot?).

Thanks. It is tempting. Biggrin

2 11,211
 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Big brush like that seems like it would be a good choice for the ladies and other people shaving legs and the like.

10 1,858
 04-14-2012, 03:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gary,Im sold,Ill get one of these too.Biggrin

86 7,123
 04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
thx for the review!

sounds like a quality find Wink

9 1,684
 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
User Info
Nice review!

1 223
 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nicely done. The range of synthetic choices and improved quality is dramatic these days. Not enough to tip me from my "real" brushes just yet but it's getting really tempting!

35 2,703
 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
Very nice review, sir, once again.

75 20,883
 04-16-2012, 05:19 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Very nice, thank you!

(Check)----just adding it to my want list along with the Muhle Synthetics. I am just loving my FS synthetic so far and this along with the Muhle's appear even better.

6 905
 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I ordered one tonight. I honestly like the FS brush better than my Muhle Synthetics, and if this one is just a bit bigger, that will be great.

116 3,804
 04-17-2012, 02:59 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Dave, hoping you like the H.I.S. and looking forward to your review as well.

Can you elaborate on your preference of the FS over the Muhle's? Have you tried the "Black Fibre" Muhle's or the Silvertip?

Thanks!

(04-16-2012, 05:47 PM)Dave Wrote: I ordered one tonight. I honestly like the FS brush better than my Muhle Synthetics, and if this one is just a bit bigger, that will be great.

6 905
 04-17-2012, 03:28 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I have a 21mm and a 23mm Silvertip. The 23mm is a bit scratchy but the 21mm is fine. I find I'm reaching for the FS one because its a bit softer than either of the Muhles and it does just as well as they do. Overall, I'm rather happy with the Muhles and the FS brushes. I do not care for the Body Shop and Omega brush at all. I will more than likely be PIF'ing both of them in the next few days. The knot in the Body Shop brush is just too small and the Omega given the nature of its fibers is just too floppy. I have discovered with the Omega, its best to just drain most all of the water out of it. If I keep reaching for the FS brush (which I ordered a backup for) then I will more than likely sell both my Muhles as well.

116 3,804
 04-17-2012, 04:26 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks Dave!
I find myself reaching for the FS over and over as well, to the exclusion of things like a Chubby 2 Finest and an M&F Blonde Badger, SOC Owner's Club 2 band, etc. I almost feel guilty about this but the FS makes everything SO easy to lather, feels great on the face and dries out so quickly plus I feel that I never have to worry about it because it easily takes abuse and the price is right for replacement/back up.

I'm also curious about those Muhle/HJM Black Fibre brushes.

6 905