07-05-2013, 10:04 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have to ask the Brush aficionados in this house!...especially Simpsons. Simpson offers their standard line of handles and specific badger grades, they also have limited edition brushes for sale too as many know...Many times I see brushes that Simpson calls L/E like a "Duke 2 in Best w/faux ivory turned handle", or "Chubby 1 Super w/faux ivory". I could swear that these style handles and badger grades are regular stock? Does anybody know what the difference is? Or is it just about availability? Thanks Everyone!
-BB

4 792
 07-05-2013, 10:26 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Probably the best qualified person to answer this is Mark Watterson at Simpsons. The e- mail address is on the Simpson's website. Based on my experience you should have a prompt response from Mark, but remember that it's the weekend.

5 758
 07-05-2013, 10:29 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
To answer specifically about the Duke 2 and Chubby 1 in faux ivory -
It's not the typical/standard solid faux ivory. The LEs have subtle striping throughout.

Shoot Mark a message - he'll answer any other questions you may have.

19 591
 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I think it's more like the standard Rooney ivory handles that have a "grain" through them.

5 2,006
 07-05-2013, 02:47 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(07-05-2013, 10:29 AM)P Funk Wrote: To answer specifically about the Duke 2 and Chubby 1 in faux ivory -
It's not the typical/standard solid faux ivory. The LEs have subtle striping throughout.

Some of the striping is less subtle but not overdone. Overall the faux ivory has much more character than the regular series brush. I have an M7 with it plus an older Rooney. When I ordered the M7 I asked for one with more character and they delivered.

0 534
 07-05-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
(07-05-2013, 10:29 AM)P Funk Wrote: To answer specifically about the Duke 2 and Chubby 1 in faux ivory -

I think the LE that had the subtle striping was the "ivory fleck" that was supposed to better replicate the grain patterns of real ivory. If you look at the photos to which the OP refers, it doesn't have any of that "striping."

72 1,407
 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It does not have the striping but it does have some texture. They are not the same resin used on the standard brushes.

173 23,503
 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Thanks Everyone!,
I appreciate everyone's input/answers, and also the "heads up"- my overlooked and obvious option to message Mark W. @ Vulfix/Simpson...I do notice the diff. in a couple images of L/E brushes...Cool idea for the handle grain/texture/striping, I also love the unique color options that are appearing as well. Def. my style, and this will certainly help my purchase!Wink
-Keep the innovations coming Mark! What's next!?

-BB

4 792
 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
User Info
There are 2 striped versions at the momemnt from Simpsons.

The first is the one you refer to as the LE version.
This was, I believe, marks first attempt at making some kind of pattern in the faux ivory original.
I own a Chubby 2 in best in this pattern. And it's very discrete. Where the Simpson sticker is, you can almost not see any difference between this and the original classci faux ivory.
You have to turn it and look around the brush, then you will notice some faint lines going down along the sides of the handle.

[Image: leduke2b.jpg]

The second came this year and has far more protruded direct visible lines going along the sides of the brush.
I have one of these in Chubby 2 in 3-band on order.

[Image: leduke3ivorystripe.jpg]

22 5,047
 07-06-2013, 01:04 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(07-05-2013, 03:39 PM)jpakstis Wrote:

I think the LE that had the subtle striping was the "ivory fleck" that was supposed to better replicate the grain patterns of real ivory. If you look at the photos to which the OP refers, it doesn't have any of that "striping."

You are correct, Mark called it ivory fleck when I ordered my M7. It is not as uniform as in the photo of the Duke. It seems there is ivory fleck, faux ivory, and ivory stripe all within the LE category.

0 534
 07-16-2013, 07:22 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
This is why I love this forum...extremely helpful group of people...thank you all again for helping to educate me further with those great posts!
-BB

4 792