07-06-2013, 03:06 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
When I first started using a brush and soap/cream, and that was two years before I finally ditched the cartridges and went completely into "wet shaving" proper, I had an almost instant draw to Rooney brushes, and later Morris & Forndran. I knew nothing about brushes per se, all the technical aspects, types of hair, differences etc. I didn't even realize I was drawn to Rooneys even, only finding out later that other brand models that I liked the most were madeby Rooney. It was an aesthetic thing, the shape of the handles, the shape of the knots, I don't know...I felt like I was in a Sherlock Holmes story... while I was lathering up at least.
Anyway, I wanted to post this now as I have my first Simpsons arriving today and I hear that when you use a Simpsons, you become a Simpsonite and that's fine, they are certainly easier to get than a Rooney or a M&F.

6 2,006
 07-06-2013, 03:48 AM
User Info
(07-06-2013, 03:06 AM)Mouser Wrote: When I first started using a brush and soap/cream, and that was two years before I finally ditched the cartridges and went completely into "wet shaving" proper, I had an almost instant draw to Rooney brushes, and later Morris & Forndran. I knew nothing about brushes per se, all the technical aspects, types of hair, differences etc. I didn't even realize I was drawn to Rooneys even, only finding out later that other brand models that I liked the most were madeby Rooney. It was an aesthetic thing, the shape of the handles, the shape of the knots, I don't know...I felt like I was in a Sherlock Holmes story... while I was lathering up at least.
Anyway, I wanted to post this now as I have my first Simpsons arriving today and I hear that when you use a Simpsons, you become a Simpsonite and that's fine, they are certainly easier to get than a Rooney or a M&F.

What is the model? Can you post a photo?

1 2,827
 07-06-2013, 04:01 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(07-06-2013, 03:48 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(07-06-2013, 03:06 AM)Mouser Wrote: When I first started using a brush and soap/cream, and that was two years before I finally ditched the cartridges and went completely into "wet shaving" proper, I had an almost instant draw to Rooney brushes, and later Morris & Forndran. I knew nothing about brushes per se, all the technical aspects, types of hair, differences etc. I didn't even realize I was drawn to Rooneys even, only finding out later that other brand models that I liked the most were madeby Rooney. It was an aesthetic thing, the shape of the handles, the shape of the knots, I don't know...I felt like I was in a Sherlock Holmes story... while I was lathering up at least.

GD, I have a Classic 2 in Best coming that I bought from vpayne here. You can see a photo of it over at selling and trading.

6 2,006
 07-06-2013, 04:12 AM
User Info
(07-06-2013, 04:01 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(07-06-2013, 03:48 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:

GD, I have a Classic 2 in Best coming that I bought from vpayne here. You can see a photo of it over at selling and trading.

Excellent!

1 2,827
 07-06-2013, 06:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All three brands are excellent. Not taking anything away from Rooney or M&F, but I think one of the things that makes them so desirable is the fact they are not the easiest brush to find.

173 23,546
 07-06-2013, 08:06 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(07-06-2013, 06:21 AM)Johnny Wrote: All three brands are excellent. Not taking anything away from Rooney or M&F, but I think one of the things that makes them so desirable is the fact they are not the easiest brush to find.
I'm sure that's a big part of it for the people who like mystique, but I liked them, got a couple of Rooney's right quick from Classic and Vintage, then found out about the hard to get part.

6 2,006
 07-06-2013, 08:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I was using badger brushes I had several Rooney brushes and enjoyed all of them.

173 23,546
 07-06-2013, 06:39 PM
User Info
I would agree that all three make a solid brush. I can also relate to being drawn to the overall package of a brush: the form, the knot construction, the grain, even the font of the label, etc. Guess that is what makes us aficionados.

47 1,270