07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
User Info
I’ve not been able to get a fix on the number of shaves that I can expect per razor brand. Whether I use Astra, Personna, Voskhod, Rapira, Wilkinson, etc… each one seem to differ in the number of shaves I can get from each brand. With each brand I have gotten as few as 2 shaves or as many as 4 but never a consistent number of shaves per brand. I just finished a rotation of Astra Super Platinum. Three blades made up the rotation, one blade gave 2 shaves, the other two blades 4.

I understand that conditions (safety razor, beard condition, soap, cream, etc…) determine the life of a blade. I use either a 1941 Tech Ranger or 1958 Fat Boy, Palmolive crème or soap, and shave everyday with a light beard.

So what’s up, is that just how it goes, no blade brand should be expected to be consistent ?

3 79
 07-06-2013, 11:54 AM
User Info
Hi Mark, I can only tell you what I get and what I've done to simplify things. I hope this helps. Yes, all blades have varying service life.

In my testing of blades the blades had to be sharp and smooth, or they were out of the running as a blade I would stock for my use. Then, because I'm old, decrepit, and tight with a buck (or maybe 'cause I don't like remembering so much data Wink ), I further decided that of those blades I'd only consider stocking blades that consistently deliver 7 or more shaves per. Some can be used for more shaves, but if it's DE, I normally can them after 7 shaves. DE blades get all pissy as they age, and it's just not worth playing the extended life game with them IMO.

I'll let you discover your list rather than stating which blades I've chosen.

Some blades are notorious for short life. DE Feathers come to mind here. I get 2 shaves and then it's junk.

In SE blades I use Feather and GEM SS ptfe blades. I get about 10 shaves from a Feather in those razors and average about 14 shaves with the GEMs. But extended life is typical with SE. Lots of folks report that. Today I got shave #18 with a GEM blade and it's good for at least another shave. FWIW, compared to DE blades, SE blades just stop cutting efficiently but still behave nicely as they reach the end of their service life. I've gotten as many as 20 shaves with some of the GEM blades. I generally can them after that many shaves.

32 6,301
 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM
User Info
7 very comfortable shaves with the Super Iridums
5 very comfortable shaves with the Perma Sharp Supers
10-12 very comfortable shaves with the vintage Wilkinson Swords

That is all i can comment on as i don't use any other DE blades. Nonetheless, i used to get 3-5 with other brands, but EVERY blade can be different from the rest and there are so many variable at play. Good luck.

74 20,783
 07-06-2013, 03:14 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Wow! My beard isn't that heavy.
I get one with Feathers
the best is 7 O'Clock Yellows, I get 4.

4 2,002
 07-06-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
Blades are cheap and I don't shave everyday so I put a new Feather in the razor each time.

If I reuse a blade it drags and chews up my face.

1 622
 07-06-2013, 04:20 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Some are better than others, but ultimately it just depends on initial blade quality, angle/razor used, how good your prep is and how thick/tough your beard is.

Below are blades I use most often and have dependable longevity for me. I do 3 passes plus touch up and I only use a Weber for DE shaving..so that removes variations due to razor.
Some of them are hard on blades, like the 2011 R41..depending on angle used it can cut a blades life in half.

Double Edge
Gillette Silver Blue - 5-6 shaves
Gillette 7o'clock Blues - 5-6 shaves

Single Edge
GEM Stainless PTFE - 10-12 shaves

Schick (Chinese) - 8-10 shaves
Personna - 3-4 shaves

31 1,510
 07-06-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
I have found that the steeper the blade angle the fewer the shaves from a blade.

3 285
 07-06-2013, 05:19 PM
User Info
Personna Labs - 4-5 shaves
Feather - 2 shaves max.
Most other blades average 3 shaves per blade.

0 386
 07-07-2013, 05:40 AM
User Info
Feathers give me about 5 shaves
Red personna give me 3
Silver Blue my go to gives me 7

0 24
 07-08-2013, 04:42 AM
User Info
Most DE blades 4-6 good shaves
Schick (Chick as they are called) 7 + excellent smooth shaves

98 12,353
 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I only use Astras SP's (have some Med Preps on the way), but I get 4 shaves on average. I did have a small stash of Personna 74 blades and got about 8 shaves each (they were too sharp for my tastes).

I know I could get more than 4 shaves from my Astra SP's as at 4-shaves there is no tugging or dragging at all, but to be honest they are so cheap that I don't want to risk injuring myself just to get one more shave...at about $.08 a blade I can afford to change them at 4-shaves.

67 1,375
 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Over time I have come to accept the rule of 3 shaves and then change the blade. My goal is the best comfortable shave I can get and sharp blades are a must with my beard. To me it is not worth the few extra cents you save per shave to push the blade to its limit.

16 536
 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I generally get 4 or 5 shaves (sometimes more, sometimes less) out of both 7 O'clock Yellows, and Feathers.

16 535
 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM
User Info
For me, it's 4 or less no matter what blade. I can't keep track, or I just want to change razors and I don't currently have a system in place to be able to rotate more than a couple razors while leaving blades in.
Once I move, I will be building a razor stand to allow much better rotation.

That said, even then I won't use a blade more than 4 times whether it still has life or not.

31 1,800
 07-09-2013, 06:40 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I change them every Friday and Monday. As others here have stated, it isn't worth trying to push more than that out of any blade.
Just an aside, I had, still have actually, a friend and a roommate 20-30 years ago who was also a part owner of a very successful hair salon where he also did shaves. 10, 15, 20 a month. He told me that if every guy who thought he had a tough beard actually had a tough beard we wouldn't call it tough, we'd call it average.

4 2,002
 07-09-2013, 06:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I try to keep things simple so I change blades every 7-days starting with my Sunday shave.

The blades that provide this service consistently for me are the following.

DE Blades:

Polsilver Iridium
Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue

Injector Blade:

Chinese Schick

Shavette i.e. Feather AC-DX Blade:

Kai Mild

173 23,287
 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've tried a number of blades and some certainly last longer than others.

My DE blades of choice are Polsilver, Super Iridum and their various incarnations. I get 4 good shaves from these blades.

My SE blades of choice are Feather (Pro in my Cobra and Guard) in my Artist Club. Again I get around 4 good shaves.

The DE I can stretch a little further, but what is the point? I know the shave won't be as smooth. I shave everyday, so ensuring my skin is not damaged is paramount.

91 17,610
 07-10-2013, 07:30 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
As many say YMMV.

I am trying for 7 shaves on a blade

1 819
 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
User Info
(07-10-2013, 07:30 AM)Grumpy Wrote: As many say YMMV.

From my experience, I'd say:

- Shark SC - at least 5 damn fine shaves
- Rapira - 2 shaves
- ASCO red/blue pack- 2/max 3 shaves
- Astra SP - 3/4 shaves
- Polsilver - 5/6 shaves

0 124
 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I'm using one blade per shave. I rarely ever shave with a de blade more than twice.

With the Feather Pro blades in my Cobra, I'll shoot for 3 shaves and then change blades.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

29 466