07-06-2013, 04:43 PM
User Info
I thought I'd share my experience with a really nice brush I've not seen discussed.

The Muhle Retro brush is a Silvertip and considered an XL. It has a knot diameter of 25mm and a loft of 56mm, it is big. I found the brush handle to be very comfortable with a butterscotch body and a brown colored base. The knot is very dense.

My impression from the start was that this is an excellent face latherer and despite it being large, was easy to use. The tips have just a bit of scritch, which I find a necessary hallmark of a good brush. It holds a lot of water and because it is so dense, has excellent backbone. The brush has very good flow through and I find myself reaching for it quite a bit in the morning. It does use more soap than my other brushes.

Take a look at how the brush has bloomed. It is stunning to my eye. With Muhle now shifting their focus to synthetics, this brush has been lost in the shuffle. That's a shame because it takes a back seat to none.

DSC_0089<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

DSC_0089<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

DSC_0090<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

DSC_0090<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

5 31
 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM
User Info
Well, the lack of comment probably says as much as anything. This brush has not gotten the exposure it deserves. It has the properties that could make it very coveted. As Mikey might say, "Try it, you'll like it."

5 31
 07-07-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
I'm glad you are enjoying the brush!

10 605
 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wonderful looking brush, I'm sure it provides a luxurious and big feel on the face. It sounds appealing to my tastes given it has a hint of sensation, yet I imagine it still as a overall soft feel. I like the two tone handle and XL knot. Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

91 17,795
 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM
User Info
Since you ask.....

Something about that two tone handle turns me off.

Also the huge bloom for a supposedly bulb shaped knot turns me away from it.

22 5,043
 07-07-2013, 09:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
In contrast to Claus, I am attracted by the 2 tone handle and blooming big knot!

91 17,795
 07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
User Info
Well it is certainly a case of what is sublime for one is unattractive to another. Aesthetics are all about individual taste. What constitutes good performance is a bit subjective as well. Thank goodness, or we would all be chasing one brush!

5 31
 07-08-2013, 09:22 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
That's a really nice looking brush you've got there mate. Smile

I like the way that Muhle do a variety of different handle colour combinations on this brush.

32 638
 07-08-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
The Retro series LE are excellent brushes indeed, and as you noticed they are big. XXL, in my book. But then again, I have no Chubby 3 to compare with.

For comparison, I can throw in a SOC:
[Image: RbLjq0C.jpg]

Here you can see the difference between a used one (the pistacchio e.g.) and a new one, the butterscotch.
[Image: IsRWWW8.jpg]

As far as I know, Muhle build these as an hommage to their past, and with the colors, handles and knots they did do a good job. And although it blooms to reveil a big, traditional bulby knot, like you I find it manoeuvrable and comfortable enough on the face. It's soft, but with a bite and I like that.

But the most important characteristic - Does it hold another Retro? - is shown neatly here:

[Image: eotEYIV.jpg]

Biggrin

0 641
 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
Nice brush.i really like the two-toned handles on these, but find the know too big for my taste. Great looking though.

58 234