07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
User Info
You coffee drinkers out there, what do you recall as the best cup of coffee you've had? I remember a couple that vie for the title. One was made in an enameled blue metal coffee pot over an evening campfire, served in a tin cup, when I was hiking a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail in California. The coffee grounds were boiled in the pot, then egg shell was tossed in to make the grounds and oil settle. The other one was an early morning cup of Robusta coffee in Palermo, Sicily, when I was a student hitch-hiking around Europe. No doubt my memories are colored by the settings (sweet cold mountain air, aromatic pine smoke, and stars; crisp Mediterranean breeze carrying lemon zest, olive oil, and sea salt), but the coffees also were unforgettable.

(I have no memories of shaving at those times - I had a beard back then.)

183 12,002
 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(07-07-2013, 10:13 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: You coffee drinkers out there, what do you recall as the best cup of coffee you've had? I remember a couple that vie for the title. One was made in an enameled blue metal coffee pot over an evening campfire, served in a tin cup, when I was hiking a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail in California. The coffee grounds were boiled in the pot, then egg shell was tossed in to make the grounds and oil settle. The other one was an early morning cup of Robusta coffee in Palermo, Sicily, when I was a student hitch-hiking around Europe. No doubt my memories are colored by the settings (sweet cold mountain air, aromatic pine smoke, and stars; crisp Mediterranean breeze carrying lemon zest, olive oil, and sea salt), but the coffees also were unforgettable.

(I have no memories of shaving at those times - I had a beard back then.)
It is obviously your memories of what you were doing at the time that are coloring your memories of taste of the coffee. You are describing cowboy coffee in the first instance. This is coffee that is left to itself to boil,extract the oils and sugars from the beans. Then left to boil off the water and concentrate the oils. Finally, left to boil some more to turn the oils rancid and carmalize the sugars. In the second instance Robusta is the poorest grade of coffee. It is used as filler for cheap coffee blends (think Marvey soap). Definately it had to be the camping and Palermo. I envy you.
Barry Charter Member of CSA (Coffee Snobs of America)

57 916
 07-07-2013, 11:34 AM
User Info
John, i don't drink coffee and have never really done so. Nonetheless, in my twenties when i used to go back to our village in northern Portugal, the espressos that some of the cafes poured were extremely good and i didn't even like the taste of coffee!Biggrin
i haven't had one in a very, very long time!

75 20,883
 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
Although I subscribe to the Chemex method of Coffee making. My best cup ever was at "Ruth's Chris Steak House" where you can order French Press Coffee. They gave me some beans in a small soup container so I had to buy a grinder. Thus the beginning of my grinding days that have never ended.I have tried lots of beans and only liked one so far and I know it will sound funny but good old Dunkin Whole Bean is my favorite. But yeah, the French Press at "Ruth's Chris" is all that and a bag of chips.

Chemex - Nothing but Oil and Caffine
http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com

Personally I gave up trying to find the correct Bean/Roast/Grind combination for a Press. I hate cleaning a press anyway.

PS: Dunkin doesn't burn their coffee beans. I'm not sure why but this seems to be a common mistake most people and places MUST MAKE for some strange reason. A6 I will never understand.

1 622
 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(07-07-2013, 12:29 PM)olblueyez Wrote: Although I subscribe to the Chemex method of Coffee making. My best cup ever was at "Ruth's Chris Steak House" where you can order French Press Coffee. They gave me some beans in a small soup container so I had to buy a grinder. Thus the beginning of my grinding days that have never ended.I have tried lots of beans and only liked one so far and I know it will sound funny but good old Dunkin Whole Bean is my favorite. But yeah, the French Press at "Ruth's Chris" is all that and a bag of chips.

Chemex - Nothing but Oil and Caffine
http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com

Personally I gave up trying to find the correct Bean/Roast/Grind combination for a Press. I hate cleaning a press anyway.

PS: Dunkin doesn't burn their coffee beans. I'm not sure why but this seems to be a common mistake most people and places MUST MAKE for some strange reason. A6 I will never understand.
Burning beans removes all sublety from the taste. Taste of the beans becomes very repeatable. Thus burning beans allows the manufactures to insure consistency in their blends and allows them to include inferior cheaper beans as fillers.

My best cup of coffee is as hard to remember as is my best shave. Then I realized it was the first one of each. My best shave ocurred one day when I snuck into the bathroom and used my father's shave gear.I had done this before However, this was the first time I heard the scrape as the blade hit my whiskers and lo and behold there was hair in the sink when I let the water out.
It was the same for my best cup of coffee. The best cup of coffee was the first time my mother served me a full cup of coffee. Not an inch of coffee and the rest of the cup filled with milk.

57 916
 07-07-2013, 02:07 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My best cup is the same cup I have every morning, afternoon, and evening.

Dunkin Donut Original Blend brewed in a BUNN Coffee Maker.

173 23,490
 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM
User Info
Best cup that I didn't make myself was in Jamaica while on my honeymoon. We rode bikes down the mountain & then had the freshest Blue Mountain Coffee available. I have no idea how they brewed it but it was amazingly flavorful & smooth with zero bitterness.

Currently my favorite coffee is being made with the AeroPress thanks to the thread about it by insomniac.

31 7,912
 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Call me partial but my favorite coffee is the one I was raised on. I have to say I'm hooked on Community Coffee and Chickory. "New Orleans Blend". Made right here in New Orleans and brewed in my old Drip Drip Drip coffee maker. Geez, come to think of it, I've been having this coffee machine for a VERY LONG TIME..lol... BTW my wife and I just had a cup. DELICIOUS!!!

5 1,151
 07-11-2013, 04:51 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
that `ol "grounds and eggshell in a blue enamel pot" is what is traditionally known as
"Cowboy Coffe" ! I drunk plenty `o dat ! Camp Rule: then you have to shave with
a Cowboy Razor !
my brother made some mean Espresso, those hit the spot ! stand up a spoon in it, good to go !

0 1,291