07-08-2013, 06:28 PM
User Info
Gents, that redness may not be your technique.

Turns out methylisothiazolinone is an ingredient that some say is second only to nickel in allergic response from contact. If you are seeing irritation, check your labels.

Found this quote in support of the concern: “We are in the midst of an outbreak of allergy to a preservative which we have not seen before in terms of scale in our lifetime,” Dr John McFadden, consultant dermatologist at St John’s Institute of Dermatology in London, told the Telegraph. “Many of our patients have suffered acute dermatitis with redness and swelling of the face. I would ask the cosmetics industry not to wait for legislation but to get on and address the problem before the situation gets worse.”

see also: http://kdvr.com/2013/07/08/britains-sund...allergies/

and http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/health...ducts.html

Post the products you find with it. I'll start.

Edwin Jagger Natural & Paraben-Free Hydrating Pre-Shave. Exclamation

Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm Exclamation

Ducking now.

3 285
 07-08-2013, 07:10 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Yikes. He makes it sound terrible.

13 599
 07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
User Info
Quote:Experts say the chemical is second only to nickel in causing contact allergies.

I guess I shall have to stop using nickel-plated razors!

12 1,243
 07-09-2013, 06:12 AM
User Info
Again,it's an allergy. Some get a reaction, most do not.

I know someone with a stainless and nickel allergy. Watch backs need to be coated with nail polish or a rash develops.

IF you are getting redness AND you have a product with methylisothiazolinone, consider switching products for a while to eliminate this as a suspect.

Would not have mentioned it if the medical community wasn't seeing so many cases... it's not like they have to feed three pounds of this stuff to a lab rat before bad things happen. It's a contact dermatitis. The reaction is obvious and strong enough to motivate visits to physicians.

3 285
 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for posting this important thread. I hope everyone looks at the ingredients in their products, and we get a good list going. Even if you don't react to any of your products, have a look. This should be quite helpful to everyone.

The offending agent (aka MIT):

[Image: 9249805775_5b03925f40.jpg]

43 1,690
 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM
User Info
Might as well add:

Musgo Real After Shave Balm

to the list.

Saint Charles Shave Exfoliating Microscrub

3 285
 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM
User Info
The methylisothiazolinone must flow.

[Image: 9s6Do4P.jpg]

12 1,243
 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
It didn't sound quite as alarming directly from the man himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23237530

In fairness to Edwin Jagger and Nivea who were fingered earlier, most personal care products need some kind of preservative and they all get a bad press at some time.

0 1
 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
User Info
This is an interview posted on the American Academy of Dermatology's website:

http://www.aad.org/dw/monthly/2013/april...d2NUkFQEaA

It sounds a lot less concerning than the first quote. Contact dermatitis can be all sorts of issues, from scratchiness to a rash to a poison-ivy level rash. Here's a good quote:

MI is being used alone with an allowed concentration up to 100 ppm. It’s unclear how much of a problem that may be in terms of contact allergy; it is still a very low concentration that for the majority of individuals is not enough to cause sensitization.

72 1,407
 07-10-2013, 12:37 PM
User Info
I don't mind preservatives. I know some people have problems with them (some physical, some philosophical), but we all have problems with the bacteria/mold/etc. that would grow in our products without them.

12 1,243
 07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Well if Musgo ASB has it, I'm good with the MIT!

43 1,690
 07-11-2013, 12:01 AM
User Info
I realize my statement is broad but this is a perfect example of why I never buy toiletries at a Drug Store or Grocery Store.

Cheap is not always cheap and corporations will do anything to save money.

Just read the ingredients on something like Institut Karite "Whatever" and compare that to Gillette's "Whatever".

The average Drug Store doesn't have one single product in the entire store that can really be considered "Soap". Its all "detergents" and chemicals and crud.

Soap comes from vegetable oil or animal fat! And both cost money.

Most of what you see is bright shiny packaging that more often costs more than the product inside.

Obviously I am referring to shopping here in the USA where the FDA is very much infavor of big business. We now have Genetically engineered foods made by Monsanto that can give you cancer like a mofo.

Pay a little more, get an honest product, and most of the time you will discover its cheaper in the long run.

Ok, I'm done ranting. Wink

1 622
 07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-11-2013, 12:01 AM)olblueyez Wrote: I realize my statement is broad but this is a perfect example of why I never buy toiletries at a Drug Store or Grocery Store.

Cheap is not always cheap and corporations will do anything to save money.

Just read the ingredients on something like Institut Karite "Whatever" and compare that to Gillette's "Whatever".

The average Drug Store doesn't have one single product in the entire store that can really be considered "Soap". Its all "detergents" and chemicals and crud.

Soap comes from vegetable oil or animal fat! And both cost money.

Most of what you see is bright shiny packaging that more often costs more than the product inside.

Obviously I am referring to shopping here in the USA where the FDA is very much infavor of big business. We now have Genetically engineered foods made by Monsanto that can give you cancer like a mofo.

Pay a little more, get an honest product, and most of the time you will discover its cheaper in the long run.

Ok, I'm done ranting. Wink

I couldn't agreed more with what you have written.Signs011Thumbsup

And Ill rather wont write anything about Monsanto here , a company which basically "owns" this country and several others...

86 7,123
 07-12-2013, 04:48 AM
User Info
(07-11-2013, 06:14 PM)Teiste Wrote: I couldn't agreed more with what you have written.Signs011Thumbsup

And Ill rather wont write anything about Monsanto here , a company which basically "owns" this country and several others...

Thanks Teiste

I get frustrated sometimes when I see someone starting out and I can see they are going to go through a couple a hundred dollars buying this crap that Gillette, Nivea, Proctor & Gamble put out when they could have a years worth of good shaves with:

Cake of Harris
Tube of Penhaligons AS Balm x 2
SOC Boar

For 170 plus dollars!!! And that is absolute top drawer Mac Daddy Shaves fit for a Saudi Prince!

And its not like I haven't been down that long crappy road where you buy product after product after product and they are all the same,,... The excitement wears off after a couple of shaves!!! Its all the same "Water, Alcohol, and Chemicals every single time!

And the price of that rig I recommended could be cut in half no sweat and you'd still be looking at BRILLIANT SHAVES,,!!!!!

AND, that stuff is better for the environment, WILL make you giddy as a 12 year old girl with a new pony every single time you shave, and nothing on this planet could be better for your skin,,...

And a few minutes after I post this, someone will read it, end up at the grocery store later today for some hamburger and toilet paper and "Buy a Bottle of the Latest Goopy Kids Stuff" thinking this will be the one,,...

So, Anyway,,...

No offense to anyone using ANY product, as I wish I had a beard that would allow me to use a Mach and some gooey Gillette spooge if that's what I decided I wanted to do.

That's why I said the price of the aforementioned rig could be slashed severely and still be top end.

SOC Boar 45 Balloons MAX
Cake of D.R. Harris 15 Duckets
GFT Spanish Leather AS 200ml 48 Drachma

And even that has tons of room for slashing the price and you won't smell like your in junior high when your out with the ladies lookin for some trim.

B

1 622
 07-21-2013, 07:46 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I try to inspect and investigate every shaving products ingredients list. This is a major part of why I choose the specific brands to try in the first place...if the ingredients are just plain terrible or if they just contain too many "no no" chemicals, even along with many possibly good and high quality ingredients, I still rule them out. Parabens, Silicates, MIT/CMIT (methylisothiazolinone), mineral oil, petro's and a few other personal favorites...maybe I'm paranoid from having studied a lot of chemistry, while in university for chemical engineering?, or maybe its the more specific info ive dug up and decided to trust since starting my shaving hobby? Anyway, there are sooo many great products out there that include equal quality ingredients...I also can't be too picky, most often the chemical this thread is based on(methylisothiazolinone) is used instead of a lengthy list of parabens!? So it's one or the other often. I say use what you have if it doesn't seem to bother you, and steer yourself toward better things in the future!Wink-BB

4 792