07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
User Info
I'm getting a Gem Featherweight and have a question or two. What blades do you recommend ? Are blades for these hard to find? what should I use i.e. soaps, creams, preshaves?

0 37
 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Dave and welcome to The Shave Nook.
Congratulations on obtaining a Featherweight which is a very fine razor and shaver. To answer your question I would recommend the Gem
stainless blades which are made in the US by Personna. You can buy them easily at most Walgreens similar stores around the country. They usually come in a 10 pack dispenser. I definitely IMHO stay away from the non stainless blades because of their rust capability.

note: you can buy them directly from arsco.com (Personna) direct
https://personna.alice.com/products

100 12,436
 07-09-2013, 02:01 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Yep ... I like those blades too.

I do find that they are not at every Walgreens but, I have seen them around.

1 819
 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Just shaved with one today. Nice mild razor. I have used carbon steel and SS blades in it and I don't notice a big difference. I have used a converted Feather single edge blade which is a bit sharper than the SE blades, but you have to create a back spine for it using an old blade back. Enjoy.

16 542
 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey Dave I just got my second Featherweight. A great little shaver. I agree on the Gem Stainless blades. Walgreens is the place to find the SS blades on a local level.

Also check here: http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalo...dge-blades

I just don't get as smooth a shave with carbon steel blades. If you do use carbon blades make sure you dry your razor and blade well and apply a thin coat of mineral oil to the blade after shaving to prevent rust. All carbon steel blades will have 009 etched on the spine.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T USE INDUSTRIAL BLADES. The blades at Home Depot AIN'T THE BLADES...lol You need shaving blades from a drugstore or a shave site....

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes... We have a lot of Single edge devotees here. HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM
User Info
Gem by Personna work well for me
I used to get blades from CVS as well - but have not seen them there for a while

5 135
 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM
User Info
Another place to get the GEM SS ptfe coated blades is Connaught Shaving. I haven't bought from them, but rumor has it that they have the best price even with the shipping tacked on. Maybe that's in bulk. I haven't explored that option so you're on your own.

CVS used to stock the carbon steel GEM blades. I have no idea if they still do.

32 6,308
 07-10-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
(07-09-2013, 09:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Another place to get the GEM SS ptfe coated blades is Connaught Shaving. I haven't bought from them, but rumor has it that they have the best price even with the shipping tacked on. Maybe that's in bulk. I haven't explored that option so you're on your own.

CVS used to stock the carbon steel GEM blades. I have no idea if they still do.
+1 on connaught. They have excellent prices on many items in general.
I just took delivery of 100 personna injector blades and 100 Gem 'pella' blades. It is funny that they are often referred to as 'pella' blades, those are basically Gem PFTE coated blades that 'pella' distributes, at a higher price. They are slightly different than the regular stainless blades you can get at walgreens, which are great as well.

6 808