07-09-2013, 12:44 PM
User Info
Like most traditional wet shavers, I am not a big fan of brushless shave creams.  They take away one of the nicer steps involved in the process: the shaving brush.  In spite of this I have managed to come across a few brushless shave creams that I actually like.  Every Man Jack's line of creams is one of them.  When I discovered that EMJ had come out with a line of "premium" shave products aimed at traditional wet shavers, I took notice.  One of their offerings is a lathering shaving cream that can be used either with or without a brush.  Their EMJ Cedarwood Brush/Brushless Shave Cream intrigued me.  I found this product available at drugstore.com for the amazingly low price of $9.99/8oz. tub.

Drugstore.com is a great site, with excellent customer service, and fast delivery.  They often have sales and have some of the best deals that I have ever seen on traditional shaving products.  I use them regularly and get 5% back on everything that I buy from them.  Combine that cash back system with free 2 day shoprunner shipping (an excellent membership service which I also got through drugstore.com) and they just can't be beat.  I had about $4 in "drugstore.com dollars" just waiting to be spent, and I found a 10% discount link, so I decided that now was the perfect time to buy a tub of this interesting EMJ cream.  I popped it into my shopping cart, applied my 10% discount and my $4 worth of "drugstore.com dollars", and ended up paying $5.  Total.  With free 2 day shipping.  For 8oz. of shaving cream.  Awesome.

Today I was off and I knew that my tub of EMJ Cedarwood would be coming, so I bummed around the house while I waited for the UPS guy to show up.  When he arrived I snagged the package with a quickly mumbled "thanks" and tore into it as the door was closing.  Inside was my well packed prize.  The Every Man Jack Cedarwood cream comes in an extremely thin and cheap cardboard box with faux cedarwood grain and the usual "Our product is the most awesomest product EVER!" propaganda.  The tub is a large plastic tub with a metal top and some more of the faux cedarwood grain design.  My tub had a minor scratch down the front, but was otherwise fine.

I opened the tub and took a big whiff.  The scent is a "masculine" sort of scent with a woody undertone.  I do not usually like masculine scents, but I didn't mind the EMJ Cedarwood, and I actually find the scent growing on me more and more with each whiff.  The cream has a sort of dry whipped cream texture that is fairly common among mid range shaving creams that come in tubs.  I scooped out a healthy large almond sized amount and did a test lather using my AoS Fine Badger brush.

The first thing that I discovered is that this cream requires a lot of product to lather properly.  I ended up using about two and a half almond sized portions in order to get a good lather.  This amount is still not all that much, but it was a bit more than I was happy about using.  Once I had enough product I found that it lathered quite well and was able to take on a good amount of water.  The scent remained strong while lathered, but did shift to a slightly more woody tone.  As soon as I had the cream lathered properly, I jumped into the shower, and then prepped for my shave.  I finished up in the shower, grabbed my Fromm hair shaper with a Fromm blade at the end of its life, added a little water to my mix, lathered it up, and dove in.  The cream provided a good amount of protection and was fairly slick, but did thin out a little during my second pass.  I added a tiny drop of Kiss My Face Pomegranate Grapefruit to my lather and the mixture thickened right up and also smelled fantastic.  After the shave I was left with a pleasant cedar scent lingering and an extremely smooth and soft face.

On the up side, Every Man Jack Cedarwood cream leaves my skin feeling great, is nice and slick, comes in a huge tub, and does not cost much.  On the down side, it requires a large amount of product to lather properly, can become anemic, and smells a little more "masculine" than I normally like.  In the end I found that with a little experimentation this cream worked very well, but it is not in the same league as TOBS or even The Body Shop's Maca Root cream.  EMJ Cedarwood is worth the $10 price tag, but only because it comes in an 8oz. tub rather than the more common 4oz. to 5oz. sizes that most other shaving creams offer.  This is not a bad cream, but it's not quite where it needs to be.  With some slight reformulation EMJ Cedarwood could become a great cream.  In the mean time I will continue to mix a tiny amount of the Kiss my Face Pomegranate Grapefruit in with it to get an amazing lather and a fantastic scent.

Ratings (1-10, 1 being the absolute lowest and 10 being the absolute best):

Scent Quality: 6
Scent Strength: 8
Lather Quality: 5
Slickness: 8
Skin Care: 8
Overall: 7

[Image: wpid-img_20130709_172406.jpg]

[Image: wpid-img_20130709_172452.jpg]

[Image: wpid-img_20130709_172606.jpg]

[Image: wpid-img_20130709_172524.jpg]

[Image: wpid-img_20130709_172711.jpg]

6 327
 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM
User Info
Thanks for the in depth review. This wasn't on my radar, and it will probably stay that way now.

10 2,062
 07-09-2013, 02:34 PM
User Info
It's a cream with great potential. When used with a little KMF it works really well, but it just isn't as good as it should be...yet. EMJ is a good company, and I have to believe that they will work to improve this cream.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 07-09-2013, 04:14 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I will have to look for it when I go to these stores. I see that it is in a Jar and that is what I will be looking for.

1 819
 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I've tried their cream in the original scent (I believe it was the original but can't recall). Much like your experience, I thought it required a lot of cream to lather up, which isn't a big deal, but once on I found that it became tacky rather than slick making for a bad shave. I tried it out a few more times to confirm it wasn't some aberration, but came back with the same results.

I'm glad the cream works well for you because this is definitely a well priced cream, but as always, YMMV.

27 859
 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM
User Info
The original cream is a brushless cream and is not supposed to lather. If you got it to lather up then you must have really worked at it.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Interesting cream , and contains a lot of oils , something nice to consider if you have very dry skin , like mine.I bet this cream works better with a synthetic brush than with a badger/boar one.I discovered that with the T&H N10 , which also contains a lot of oils on its formulation : while it was tricky to lather with the badger or boar brushes , and required a lot of products , with the synthetic brushes performed very well and less product also was needed it.
I had the deodorant with this scent , and while I didnt love it , I thought was perfect for winter time.I wish they could release a cream with the citrus notes that they already have in another of their deodorants.

86 7,123
 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Great review!

Just came across this cream actually on drugstore.com a while back. Seems to be on back order for forever. I just discovered their "Cedarwood" body wash which led me to find the shaving cream. It does have a nice woodsy scent!

53 555
 07-30-2014, 01:57 AM
User Info
I bought a tube of EMJ's shave gel (not cream) not long before making the transition from carts to DE. I had a fair bit of it left and figured I should use it up, while also seeing how it worked with a DE.

The answer: not badly. As Jabberwock noted right up top, you forego the luxury of the brush experience. However, the product did offer protection; I suffered no irritation.

Perhaps the most interesting thing was that because you apply a thin layer, you could see the net reduction with each pass. I got a DFS.

The mild sandalwood scent is also pleasant.

5 688
 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
User Info
Target usually carry EMJ products. I once picked up travel sized tubes of their cream and AS balm.
In my opinion those were pretty mediocre at best and after the second run i tossed them both. From this review I gather they changed mostly in the scent department.
Brushless cream is an interesting concept.
I used Nivea and LEA creams a few times without a brush, and nothing bad happened, on the contrary.
A good product would work well even in less than ideal circumstances.

6 808
 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM
User Info
I haven't used that, but their Cedarwood body wash is my favorite!

21 555