07-09-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
I'm new to wet shaving and need some advice on a brush. I have to stock my nook one item at a time, I just picked up a Gem Featherweight for my first razor. Next I want to get a brush that I can face lather with but I also want to be able to use it with a bowl when I acquire one. I need to know what size knot, the loft and what type bristle would be good for a multipurpose brush?

0 37
 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
A lot of it is personal preference. There are some all around brushes from every manufacturer. What is your budget?

88 4,233
 07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I think a good starting point would be a small Simpson brush, like the Berkeley, or if on a tighter brush go for a good boar like a Semogue 2000 or 830. Face lathering is a bit easier to do with a shorter loft and more comfortable if you avoid scritchy brushes such as pure badger.

127 2,390
 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM
User Info
I would try a boar brush. There is no way we can predict what will work for you, but boars are really nice, and they are exceedingly inexpensive, or can be.

For a face lathering boar I like a loft of 50mm - 45mm in boar (45mm or less in badger). One brush that would work nicely for face or bowl is the Omega 50014 "Turnback" travel brush. It has a handle that can be used short for face lathering or long for a bowl, and the knot is superb. It's a really nice design IMO. It has a loft of 45mm and is on the smaller side for a boar, but it easily makes and holds enough lather for 3 full passes. I think it can be purchased for approx. $12.

Bear in mind that if a brush doesn't work for you, you can sell it on the b/s/t and recoup a large part of your $. Too, it's a place to buy items at reduced prices.

32 6,309
 07-10-2013, 03:43 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'd recommend either a Simpson's Colonel or a New Forest 2213. Both are high quality brushes at reasonable prices.

5 760
 07-10-2013, 06:03 AM
User Info
omega pro 49, $12. great size, nice tips, huge bang for the buck. even after experiencing much more expensive brushes this remains one of my favorites if not the favorite.

3 69
 07-10-2013, 06:43 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
You can also get a Tweezerman Pure Badger Brush - it will give you a general idea on how a brush handles and it is not a bad brush.

Or you can pick up one of the cheap ones you can find at a Drug Store or Super Market. While they are not the best, they will be a cheap brush.

A Brush - Horse, Boar, Badger a Syn or a Mix and the size of the handle, the loft, the shape and the knot are all personal preferences.

Some whole food stores sell Brushes as well as natural shaving creams/soaps. The Brushes are not bad and some of the creams are not bad at all ... like Kiss My Face.

Or you can buy one of the brushes that are recommended above.

I have found that I like a little larger handle, a little heavier, a little shape to the handle, larger knots and higher lofts for the brushes I choose to shave with.

1 819
 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
User Info
Dave, you have a wisdom about you starting with SE razors and stocking your den an item at a time. Frankly, there are an almost overwhelming number of good choices out there. Your predicted usage narrows the search a bit. Some good options already mentioned. I will recommend the Semogue 1800 (if you can wait a couple weeks, order from vintagescent.com for the best price). I've used about a hundred different brushes, and the 1800 is one I still greatly enjoy for its backbone, tips that soften with break-in, comfortable handle for any use and low price.

47 1,270
 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM
User Info
I will also chime in that a Semogue boar is the best place to start working on your face lathering techniques and preferences. They are high quality (I have 5) and they are quite affordable. I like the 620 for a dedicated face-latherer,and would keep it over all my others. Good luck!

0 109
 07-10-2013, 08:15 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
If you want badger I'd suggest a Simpson Colonel, if you want boar I'd go with a Semogue 1800.

31 1,510
 07-11-2013, 04:22 AM
  • Boko
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Guernsey
User Info
Hi Dave, I agree with the suggestions for a fairly low-loft boar. My favourite, not that I've tried them all, is the Semogue 1460, which has the traditional painted white, red and black handle and looks really cool on the shelf. I use mine most days for face lathering with Palmolive or Tabac sticks, and it holds enough lather for my two-pass plus touch-up shaves. It's also a major bargain from The Vintage Scent at about 8 Euros last time I looked. It will take a couple of months of regular use before reaching its full potential in my experience.
Hope this is helpful,
Paul

0 8
 07-11-2013, 06:03 AM
User Info
OK, not the cheapest but actually the best multi purpose brush I know of (and I have two of these beauties): The Simpsons Emperor 3.

The large but elegant handle fits any bowl I know (but, I prefer face lathering and have only used a couple of small bowls or mugs).

It also holds comfortably and secure in your hand when facelathering.

The handle is a piece of craftsmanship, it is elegant and its knot is a gem.

See an earlier post on B&B
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=286430&d=1353090819]

0 641
 07-11-2013, 06:39 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-11-2013, 06:03 AM)wimbouman Wrote: OK, not the cheapest but actually the best multi purpose brush I know of (and I have two of these beauties): The Simpsons Emperor 3.

The large but elegant handle fits any bowl I know (but, I prefer face lathering and have only used a couple of small bowls or mugs).

It also holds comfortably and secure in your hand when facelathering.

The handle is a piece of craftsmanship, it is elegant and its knot is a gem.

See an earlier post on B&B
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=286430&d=1353090819]

I've been eyeing a Simpson's Emperor 3 for sometime and the 2 you have are simply gorgeous. What badger are they loaded with ? As a I face-lather exclusively and use creams predominantly I was thinking one in either 2-band super or Manchurian. As I have brushes with all the badgers offered by Simpsons other than 2-band super, I was leaning towards getting it with this badger.

5 760