07-10-2013, 03:35 AM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,I have a Flying school (microlights) near me called "Purple Avaition" I have been looking at their web site,and I must say flying a microlight looks a lot of fun,I think I will have a drive over there and maybe book a few lessons to see if it's for me,I have always fancied this as a hobby,has anyone got any experience of anything like this.

0 79
 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
That ought to be fun!!!

A mini-plane.

1 819
 07-10-2013, 08:08 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
There is a gentleman here that flies one and he has been burning up the skies all spring/summer. I live about ½ mile from our dinky little "airport" and rarely a day goes by I don't hear him buzzing overhead.

31 1,510
 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Let us know how it goes, Sam, if you decide to give it a try. Smile

2 11,211
 07-10-2013, 09:39 AM
User Info
My neighbor built a single seater and flies it out of a local airport that (no kidding) was a secret airbase in WW2 (Norridgewock, Maine). It was the last refueling stop CONUS before going across to England. He can take off and land going croseways on the runway, going down the length of it he looks like a gnat on sheet of paper.

Anyway, he was flying it frequently over the past 10 (?) years, but now he's having problems with the engine and obviously needs to figure out what's wrong before spending time in the air.

I know that he didn't take lessons, but I do know that he spent a lot of time talking to folks.

I think he gets something like an hour of flight time out of 5 gallons of gas and if I remember correctly, he cruises at 60-80 mph.

I'd be very leery of the parachute type. I've seen them barely making any groundspeed against even a minor headwind since they have such a slow airspeed. Not the best thing in a state like Maine which is 90% forested. Sure your parachute is already inflated, but it could ruin ones day to come down in a 100' pine tree.

32 6,301
 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
User Info
Microlights sounds fun, and as remember that any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Got a college who does gliders - even if he spends more time building, maintaining and repairing them than he does in the air. He really seems to enjoy it though, so it can't hurt to take a few lessons to see if it's suits you.

3 3,438
 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Sam, I had a microlight flight on my honeymoon (in Kauai, Hawaii). I can thoroughly recommend it, it's great fun. Don't eat for a couple of hours before your first flight though... I made that mistake.

0 132
 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Several years ago when I had my Private Pilots License I owned a Cessna 150 and co-owned with a friend a Quick Silver Sport Ultra Light that looked similar to the one pictured below. They were great fun. We use to fly it over the the Air Show in Oshkosh. Due to health reasons I had to give up my license and sold my Cessna and my 1/2 interest in the Ultra Light.

[Image: vAziaaA.jpg]

173 23,288
 07-10-2013, 12:20 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Sounds like it would be fun to learn to fly one.

1 3,507