07-10-2013, 12:18 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
We have not been able to travel any in the last couple years. The past days we were on a mini-vacation. We went to southern Arkansas, to visit my wife's oldest son and family. I'm the adopted grandpa.
We took the twins to see Despicable II in 3d. It was our first 3d movie and we had a blast.

Then from there we went to Vicksburg Mississippi. To see the Military National Park. Outstanding park. Very somber reminder of the cost of freedom. We were able to see the ironclad USS Cario remains. Awestruck by its size and its firing power.

We had a great time.

[Image: pdFOgN3.jpg]
[Image: GoWBexv.jpg]
[Image: QC5gD7N.jpg]
[Image: 9d0vpWK.jpg]

1 3,507
 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Great photos, Brad. Thank you for sharing them. It sounds like you had a great time. Smile

2 11,211
 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brad, great pictures. That look like that would be a fun and educational trip to take.

173 23,486
 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Vicksburg - The Forgotten Battle in the West.

Gettysburg - The One Battle Always Remembered.

Sad to say that Vicksburg gets second fiddle but, it was a very important battle that was fought in the Civil War.

And it was also a Battle where the city was under seige for quite some time. Yep ... a real seige like in the Medieval Times.

1 819
 07-11-2013, 02:50 AM
User Info
I find the American Civil War fascinating, I have Ken Burns documentary (The Civil War) on dvd,it's the best docu on this subject,the endless sepia photographs of the times, and of the people who took part,intercut with the Historians expert views on the conflict makes for superb storytelling.
The Battle of Antietam or Sharpsberg (depending on which side you were on) must have been something to experience for absolute horror.
I know more about this conflict than I do about my own civil war Parliamentariens v Royalists (Roundheads v Cavaliers)
Ken Burns has made a few documentaries,one of which was about Baseball, of which I know nothing other than Ty Cobb was a thorough sh*t. (I don't know why I have sullied this post with his name,when you compare it to those people above)

Geordie Sam.

0 79
 07-11-2013, 05:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Fantastic pictures. Thanks for posting them.

100 12,437
 07-11-2013, 06:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is alright Geordie Sam, he is part of American history just like the rest.

173 23,486
 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM
User Info
Great to hear you are having a great time, Brad!Smile

75 20,883
 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
The trip to the Battleground was educational. Each state that fought in the battle was allowed to make their own memorials. This battle was not only an artillery battle but also a naval battle. The victory at Vicksburg, basically split the Confederate army into two halves. The town was destroyed too. The Union Army starved the Confederate Army. Recent freed slaves fought at Vicksburg for the Union too. The USS Cario was the first battle ship to be sunk with a torpedo. Actually the Vicksburg battle was more important then Gettysburg.

1 3,507
 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brad

Nice to hear you, the wife and (some of) the family had a good time Smile

Plus, nice photos Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Great pics, Brad ! the ironclad is just amazing !
Glad you had a nice visit and a great time !

0 1,291
 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
User Info
Interesting! Thanks!

I knew about the seige of Vicksburg, but didn't know a ship was sunk during it.

32 6,308